why didnt we pound manning?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tbruner12, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

only way we get to manning is if our corners could jam the receivers at the line. They didnt we lost.

2. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

The only choice we had was to blitz up the middle. If we sent someone from the outside,he was rid of the ball before they got there,and we lose someone in coverage.

3. go_indy_colts

go_indy_colts New Member

Well, yeah, the "missed assignment" happened because they were trying to pick up the blitz. That's a pretty good reason why somebody would miss their blocking assignment.

You and I both know that teams can and do get away with blitzing us at times we're not prepared for it. But if we make the adjustments in formation and play-calling, then we'll make a team pay dearly for over-blitzing.

The Colts have a fine offensive line, I don't want to take anything away from them. But the chief reason Manning doesn't get sacked much is because he doesn't give teams the time they'd need to sack him. Not, anyway, after he figures out that they're coming back after him.

And that's something that he's only done well in the latter half of his career. If you go re-watch the playoff losses to New England, in particular, you'll spot this difference right away. He steps up in the pocket more (and more quickly) now, to put the DEs behind him, and he favors the quick timing routes.

I'm not really sure how I'd defend that if I was a DC. It's tough -- and why I agreed with the poster who said "damned if you do, damned if you don't."

That's precisely what an effective offense should force its opponents to say.

4. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

The second sack was fuckin hilarious. He was slightly pressured and he just dropped to the ground like a 11 year old in CCD.

I think I saw him shake a turd out of his pants after that too-

5. colts fan

colts fan New Member

..and then he committed to not to let it happen again! From that point, we put that defication on Greene, Strickland, Scott, and the other players who witnessed the foul event :)

6. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

This thread is retarded. It reminds me of someone watching a 400m dash and asking "Why didn't he run faster?"

7. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

More like his O-line holds. Pollian has made sure that the Colts don't get called for holding penalties from the league office because Peyton is too important to TV.

8. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

we couldn't get it him

9. go_indy_colts

go_indy_colts New Member

Actually, it's the other way around. Polian has been one of the fiercest advocates for *more* holding calls.

He explained this very well on his radio show a couple years ago. He said that teams like the Colts invest significant money in players like Dwight Freeney to give them more ability to pressure opposing quarterbacks -- and those investments are effectively negated if offensive lineman are able to get away with holding the DEs.

I don't know how solid his grounds were for lodging the complaint. But if it's true that a lot of holding goes on that doesn't get called, then he's got a pretty good point.

10. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

i guess what i was trying to say is, why did we not rough his ass up? so what we get a roughing the passer or two. maybe gholston gets thrown out of the game for a very rough late hit that puts manning out of the game...who gives a shit! we play painter or a very messed up manning on our way to the superbowl! is this dirty? hell yea its dirty, but the saints did it all day, and they get to play one more game while we are done for the year.

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Yes. On Defensive Backs.

12. go_indy_colts

go_indy_colts New Member

Who the hell are you....Bobby "The Brain" Heenan?

Are you honestly sitting here saying that you want your team to go out and intentionally injure opposing players -- on a coach's orders, no less -- so they can have a better chance at winning?

Oy, what the hell is this world coming to?

13. JetsKickAss

JetsKickAss Well-Known Member

How much would having the Vernon Ghoulston who was supposed to be the LB-DE sack terror who beat Jake Long twice his last year in college have helped ? How much has the worst draft pick in NY Jets history killed this team the last 2 years ???

14. go_indy_colts

go_indy_colts New Member

No, on offensive linemen. He made quite a public case about it a couple seasons ago.

15. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

because luckily Rex Ryan, for all his bravado and tough talk, isn't a lowlife fucking imbecile and so the thought never crossed his mind.

16. go_indy_colts

go_indy_colts New Member

I made the wrong comparison earlier. It's not Bobby "The Brain" Heenan. It's the Sensai from "Karate Kid"....

"Sweep the leg, Johnny."

"But....but sensai...."

"I said SWEEP....THE.....LEG. You gotta problem with that, pretty boy?"

17. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

"sweep the leg,johnny"

18. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

[​IMG]

19. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

why even risk that and looking like a head hunter. why didn't Rex Ryan go Munich on the entire Colts team and send assassins to their homes to massacre them, or perhaps just some "men of honor" to put a couple of slugs in Manning's knee caps as he left his house for the stadium.

if that didn't work, maybe Ryan could have hired a Muslim extremist to kidnap a bus full of special needs children, give each one of the helmeted precocious youths some plastic explosives to hold in their laps, and drive the bus straight through Manning's living room and blow him to kingdom fucking cum while he gave his brand new puppy it's heart worm medication.

20. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

its obvious you guys dont see the big picture. you can make a qb gun shy by inflicting punishment on the qb. buddy ryan was notorious for it, so why isnt rex? hey JETBLUE since when did football ethics come into play in a full contact sport? this may be true in pop warner, but in professional sports you can throw that out the window. did you watch the saints vikings game? farve was having a great series of games in the playoffs, but their pressure on him was greater than ours on manning. was the colts late hit on sanchez o.k. by you? maybe i'm not the imbecile? sure, i may have exaggerated to an extent with the gholston comment, but letting manning sit back there and pick our cruddy secondary apart was ridiculous. we put pressure on manning at times, but not enough and thats very obvious. manning didnt do as much adjusting as most of us want to believe. we didnt do enough re-adjusting. you beat great passing qb's by putting relentless pressure on them. we didnt do that. is the colts o-line that much greater than ours? i dont think so, but the game seems to prove otherwise.