Draft Agile/Athletic DE/Pass Rusher!!

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JfaulkNYJ, Jan 20, 2010.

1. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

We need a big time athletic Defensive End pass rusher. All our guys up front are big fatties, and having a big time pass rusher who can spin, be agile, and get to the QB.

Yeah I know we Blitz with our Dbacks, but I think having a athletic DE would take this defense to the elite status.

We are the best defense right now, but we are not elite.

Who do you have in mind in the upcoming draft?

2. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

We need more of a athletic pass rushing LB.

If I could I would use 3 DT's and no ends in a 3-4 it would make our line cheaper and bigger

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

A 3-4 DE to rush the passer consistently and have multiple sacks is not part of the equation in our defense. I do agree we need to upgrade the depth at DE...but to believe they're going to be a dynamic pass rusher is a reach.

Rex's defense is predicated that the defensive line takes on the O-Lineman (push back the pile) so the linebackers can make plays and gaps are exposed for the blitz. This doesn't mean the DE won't have sacks, but it's not part of their main function.

4. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

Yeah I know that is not our philosophy on defensive, but it some what is. When I look at Rex's D I just think ???????. The whole point to me is just confusion, and having a quick DE would just add to more combination of confusing the Offense.

I mean I remember in the beginning of the season Rex was lining up Kris Jenkins as an Inside Linebacker, and what he did was just run straight and it scared the shit out of the QB. It's so simple the defense, if you think about it.

We are just going to run straight at you everytime and if you can get the ball of in time then good for you, but we aren't going to stop doing what we do.

I love Rex haha.

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Rex is missing his "Terrell Suggs" type player on this team.....a guy he can line up on the Line or as a LB....but will consistently rush the QB with reckless abandon.

I would love to see a guy that fits this description drafted this year....doesn't have to be a first rounder....but a 2nd round talent would suffice.

What about it WW85 or Electric? Are there any Suggs-type players the Jets could target in the 2nd round or beyond?

6. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

exactly a Terrell Suggs is what we need.. What about Richard Seymour next season?

but in all honesty I think Tanny could find somebody in college hidden that would break out as a star here.

#6 JfaulkNYJ, Jan 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Mr E may disagree....but Suggs is a special player and to find a player on his level, especially in a later round is difficult.

The Jets need another 3-4 OLB, off the edge rusher.

Brandon Graham is my favorite that may or may not be available in late rd 1....combine will dictate his status. Graham's lack of height and short arms will hurt his stock with some GMs. Graham is a relentless player that makes alot of plays and gets pressure on the QB.

Jerry Hughes is a possiblity, has great numbers, but so did Gholston. I'm not as high on Hughes as some scouts. Graham looks better in coverage. Rd 1/early 2.

Eric Norwood.....the guy never stops ...energizer bunny...late rd 1/early 2...height issue, which is unfair.

George Selvie....high risk, very quiet year and only one oustanding year. I would pass. Late rd 2.

Jermaine Cunningham is a possibilty, doesn't have all the ability, but has the heart to be a productive 3-4OLB. Rd 3.

Ricky Sapp could surprise and has a great motor. Rd 2 or better

Antonio Coleman...would be my 1st choice for a mid-round OLB prospect, his best days may be ahead of him in the NFL. Rd 3/4

Dexter Davis......one unbelievable year and than fell of the face of the earth...may be worth a very late pick. rd 5/6

Making the conversion from DE to 3-4 OLB is the most difficult transition in the NFL. Brandon Graham has a leg up, since he's played some in Michigan's defense.

#7 WW85, Jan 20, 2010
  8. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Well, Derrick Morgan certainly won't be around. I'm not totally sold on Graham, but I'm fairly convinced that Eric Norwood is the best edge rusher in this draft.

9. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Derrick Morgan is better suited to be a 4-3 DE.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I liked Von Miller...really wish he decided to declare. In my opinion, he has the same abilities as Terrell Suggs when he was in college.

Jason Pierre-Paul is an intriguing prospect. JPP's flying up boards mainly because of his measurables, but he just has so much potential. I highly doubt he'll be there when we're on the clock though. He's a scheme 'tweener - I don't if he'd be better off as in end in the 4-3 or as a hybrid linebacker in the 3-4. This is a guy that could probably line up at end and at linebacker.

#10 Mr Electric, Jan 20, 2010
  11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Getting Richard Seymour goes against why you started this thread. Also, getting Seymour will be close to impossible - I'm pretty sure Oakland will franchise him. Richard Seymour is a big, strong, space-eating defensive end, which is the type of end you need in the 3-4.

We're not going to draft an agile pass rusher to play defensive end. Guys like that play outside linebacker in this scheme. I agree that we can upgrade the pass rush, but that doesn't come from defensive ends in this scheme.

To say that our defense isn't elite is very wrong. It's the #1 defense in the league. The scheme is elite. The players in it are doing everything right. Ryan will definitely bring in some upgrades, and that's really scary.

12. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Eric Norwood should also be able to make the switch quickly. He played more linebacker than defensive end in 2009. The guy is one of the more versatile defenders in this draft, having played all over the place in many different schemes.

13. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'm slowly getting on the Norwood train, guys. You guys make him sound like he's the perfect pass-rushing solution for this team. If we go LB in the first round....I'd be on board with this pick. When i get home from work tonight, I'm gonna watch some of his game tape....

Still think we need to restock the trenches though....or perhaps grab a CB/S....

14. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

You're right about Norwood!! Norwood's height may keep him right where the Jet's are selecting at the end of rd 1.

Graham or Norwood would be 2 very good choices.

I'm mentioned in other thread, I'm hoping the Jets take the BPA (DE, DE/OLB, WR, S) with their rd 1 selection. I really believe Rex is going to find the right player for the Jet's...offense or defense.

15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Get Your Ass back to work :)!!!!

16. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

hahaha....fuck that. I can't watch game film here on YouTube....it's blocked. :smile:

17. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

I disagree I don't think this is an 'elite' defense. It is a great one though and the best right now.

An elite defense to me is sacking, and scoring on defense. That is just my opinion though. It isn't one of the historic elite defenses we've seen in the past, but I also think it is on it's way there.

18. hazmat

hazmat New Member

The defense doesn't fit in with the usual types of elite defenses since they do not have elite pass rushers or elite defensive lineman. But in 18 games they are giving up less then 12 points per game. And that's with an offense that turned the ball over so many times putting the defense in bad field position and keeping them on the field. 11.9 points per game through 18 games...insanity

19. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

God willing Norwood would be around for when we pick in round 2 (I dont think he will fall that far) but you cant teach motor or hustle and I think Norwood, along with his skill set could be a great pass rusher at the next level

20. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

I'd love a trade down to grab an early and mid-second, and take, maybe, an Odrick and Norwood. God, that would be a great haul.