Jets @ Colts Predictions

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jets n Boys, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Don't think our linebackers will be guarding Collie much. The Jets will try to take Wayne out of the game with Revis, throw a bunch of different looks at Clark, and try to put you in 3rd and long situations.

The last game was 15-10 in the 3rd quarter with you guys getting the ball deep in your own territory. You guys struck early, we clawed back in it a little bit, and our offense was starting to get in a rhythm, which is our plan of success.

The Jets are playing at a much higher level than they were a month ago, too. At that point, we had just lost to the Falcons. Then we gained some confidence by beating the Colts and destroying the Bengals, regardless of who was on the field. Now, we have two more wins against two playoff teams on the road, including the previous hottest team in the NFL.

We can beat you. We don't have much of a margin for error, but if we keep it close (all Jets fans will sign up for a 5 point game in the 3rd quarter), the Jets will hope to force a turnover and run the ball down your throats late in the game. If we can do that, we can win.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If the Jets great pass defense shows up to play I think the only way we lose is if our offense beats us. It's probably a coin flip as to whether the the pass defense is as on as it was against Schaub, Brady, Brees and Rivers. Obviously the scheme is going to be key, since Ryan and Pettine engineered the shutdown of 4 of the top 5 passing offenses in the NFL this year.

I think the fact that we played Indy in Week 16 is going to be very much in our favor since Ryan and Pettine will have an idea of what worked and what did not work in that game.

3. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

Haha! Thanks Coach! I fully expected the limits of your posts to be ad hominem attacks and shallow arguments on how the Jets will win, and you did not disappoint.

So, your terrific defense and respectable running game won how many games this season? Without the game gift wrapped in Indy, your team with its amazing defense and world-beating ground game would be sitting home right now. And if the Chargers hadn't completely gagged yesterday, the same could be said.

But, you're here. Without any sense of humility or respect, but that's fine. You run your mouth about how I didn't mention names, but I don't see anything of substance from you to suggest you're better than that which you decry. Again, that's fine.

How about this:

Dallas Clark is going to make your LBs look like a bunch of jerks because, frankly, NO ONE in this league has proven an ability to cover him. Austin Collie already did the same in the first game, and that was for only 40 minutes.

Dwight Freeney is going to make D'Brickashaw Ferguson look like Jonathon Ogden. Ferguson is too tall and too slow to keep Freeney away or keep up with him. I see a couple of sacks and many hits in Sanchez's future.

Shaun Ellis' bum hand is a HUGE problem. Ellis had a sure tackle yesterday if his hand wasn't wrapped like a club and he could have gripped Rivers' jersey. And the Colts RBs are excellent at picking up the pass rush, so I don't see Ellis getting to him, anyway.

Braylon Edwards can't catch a big pass to save his life. His own father dogged him about earning a reputation as a pass dropper.

The Colts CBs are perfectly suited to defend small receivers like Jerricho Cotchery.

Faneca and Mangold are going to have to open some big holes and continue to block downfield. The Colts D is one of the fastest in the league, and if the Jets O line can't create big gaps up the middle or are forced to run outside, the Colts will shut them down a la Ray Rice.

And I haven't even talked about the greatest QB in the history of the game. (Again, evidence of your lack of intellectual and useful comments that you just go for making fun of Manning, as if that does anything other than erode your credibility)

The Jets are who they are, and they'll be that Sunday. Manning has already gone up against your D once, and he's had several weeks to look at tape and prepare for a rematch. Unlike the Ravens, the Jets are not good about disguising the D pre-snap, and that's bad for you. Manning will read your D and pick it apart.

Better, sweat pea?

4. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

Mark my prediction! Jets 21 - Colts 20! Jets Win by 1 point!:jets:

5. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Do you even watch the games..... or just Manning's commercials?

6. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

Obviously, any team can win on any given weekend. I just don't see how this Jets team can do it against the Colts.

For one, the Colts had an NFL record seven fourth quarter comeback wins this season, half of their total wins. There's reason for this: The team has excellent leadership and never gets rattled. They're convinced they can perform and win every game, and aside from when management forced them to quit, they have.

Yes, the Jets were down only by five when the starters were pulled. But you have to consider the kickoff return to start the second half. That is an anomaly for the Colts, and you shouldn't expect that again.

And you can't discount the Colts were pretty banged up on defense in that game. Clint Session and Robert Mathis didn't play at all, and Dwight Freeney had an abdominal injury that limited him.

Going into this game, everyone is as healthy as you could possibly hope for this time of year.

7. Jets007

Jets007 Well-Known Member

Thats just crazy talk!

8. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

That was brilliant, MBGreen. Your extensive football knowledge really shined through there.

Congratulations.

9. Br4d

Tightends have caught some balls against the Jets this year, largely in losing efforts.

You're right, the lesser of your receivers are the bigger threats in this game. When teams have damaged the Jets in the air this year, which has been very rare, it is the slot receivers that have done most of that damage.

I doubt Freeney will get to Sanchez unless the Colts overload blitzes as they did last game. I'm assuming here that Brian Schottenheimer is going to be smart enough to know that if Freeney hits Sanchez a few times we're in trouble. We'll see.

Ferguson, BTW, kept Freeney off of Sanchez last game when he tried to block him. The two sacks were stupid play calls, aggravated by rookie mistakes from Sanchez. Freeney was unblocked both times, hence the description.

Ellis will be there to collapse the left side of the pocket as usual. The defensive linemen aren't the guys who get sacks on this team since it's a 3-4. Of the 32 sacks the Jets got in the regular season 8 were by the defensive line, 17.5 by the linebackers and 6.5 by the defensive backs.

How nice it would be if you could just leave him uncovered? Unfortunately you can't, so whoever is the faster of your two corners probably draws the duty, and I'm betting he has help from a safety on the deep routes. Just a guess.

Cotchery can't be covered adequately one-on-one but the Colts should feel free to try if they don't mind killer receptions extending Jets drives. That's what Cotchery has been doing all year and I expect it to continue on Sunday.

Brandon Moore, the RG, is the best runblocker on the team. The reason the Jets have been able to run at will this year is because when they pull Faneca to come right they absolutely overpower other teams on that side of the ball. This lets them line the tightend up on the left side now and then and in that situation the Jets are as strong to the left as anybody in the league. Fast isn't going to do a lot for the Colts at the point of attack, although it may stop the deep gashes the Jets run game produces.

The greatest QB in the history of the game is Joe Montana. If you're looking for #2 I'd go with Otto Graham or *shudder* Tom Brady. Why? Because they have all those rings. Peyton is the modern version of Dan Marino: a great, great passer who is also a good leader and who has played in one Super Bowl - even though his team has averaged 12 wins a year. Sorry, he's not in the best of all-time category at this point although he has some years left to make that right. Age did wonderful things for John Elway and Brett Favre, maybe it will raise Peyton's stock also.

This is just misinformed. Not the first part, although I think the defense always benefits more from film study, but the second. The Jets do an amazing job of disguising their fronts, particularly their fronts in the passing game. That is why the good to great QB's they have faced this year have not solved them.

10. Y4NK335

Y4NK335 Member

Hmm, didn't we all hear a similar statement over the past few weeks?

We "could not" beat the Bengals
    We "definitely could not" beat the Chargers

It will be a great game, anything can happen.

11. joefriday

joefriday New Member

my take

offense advantage colts
    defense advantage jets
    special teams advantage jets
    coaching even
    kicking game even
    homefield advantage you know

man this is shaping up to be a barnburner
    colts have experience in playoffs some good some bad
    jets on a giant wave of momentum and confidence

im a diehard colts fan but im taking the +7.5 and hoping for a close colts win

thanks for covering my + 8.5 in sd

whover wins kick some nfc ass in sb

gl gangreen:beer:

12. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

Just the fact that you compared the Ravens to the Jets is hilarious. The Ravens quarterback was an abomination in the playoffs. He threw 10 times against the Pats....

Sanchez has played extremely well. He doesn't carry the team, he's not supposed to. That's not his job. Sorry if you're so spoiled by Jesus Manning that you think any playoff team worth its salt has to have a HOF QB.

The Jets defense is far superior to that of the Ravens. Here's some numbers for you:

Pass Defense:

Jets # 1:
    QB Rating: 58.8
    Points/game: 14.8
    Yds/game: 153.7
    Avg: 5.4 yards

Ravens #8:
    QB Rating: 71.9
    Points/game: 16.3
    Yds/game: 207.2
    Avg: 6.7 yards

It's really not close in the pertinent categories. The Jets have really shut down opposing QB's...a rating of 59 is pretty bad. They've given up almost 60 yards a game less than the Ravens, and most importantly, when they do give up passes they are usually underneath (average is only 5.4 yards a pass).

Care to retaliate with how awesome Peyton Manning is?

Passing offense:

Colts #2:
    26 Points/game
    282.2 yards/game
    QB Rating: 95.4
    Yards/attempt: 7.7

San Diego #5:
    28.4 points/game
    271.2 yards/game
    QB Rating: 103.1
    Yards/attempt: 8.7

Looks to me like Indy is really San Diego with a bit darker blue jerseys. Not to mention, do you know who is number one on the list? The Houston Texans. Do you know how many points they scored on the Jets? 7. EDIT: Turns out I forgot those seven points were scored on a Sanchez INT/ fumble recovery for a TD. Go figure.

See you this weekend.

#132 The Lord, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  13. peytonmanning18

peytonmanning18 New Member

Most reasonable Colts fans are not disrespecting you guys. In order to understand it you have to look at it from our perspective, the Chargers knocked us out the playoffs the last two years and we would just rather not play them.

14. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

Thanks for the thoughtful point-by-point, Br. Obviously, we disagree on some things, but it's nice to have an informed debate than "Yer a stupid hed."

I won't dispute everything; we agree on some points, and others we'll have to agree to disagree. But there are a couple things I'd like to point out.

In the first matchup, Freeney had an abdominal injury that limited his ability. In fact, the week before he only played about 15 snaps. I agree, the two sacks were ridiculous; no end should ever come in that clean. But he's going to be firing on all cylinders, and that will be tough to defend without lots of double teams, which will free up guys like Raheem Brock and Eric Foster.

I don't think any team uses its TE as effectively as the Colts. TEs might not have had as much an impact on the Jets prior, but Dallas Clark is a chain mover and drive extender.

I won't debate the greatest QB other than to say Manning has done more to this point in his career — other than SB wins — than any QB ever. And SBs are team victories; Brady wouldn't have any without the defense the Pats once had.

Beyond that, I just want to add that if you see any Sanchez passes fly past the top of your TV screen Sunday, they're going to come down in Colts hands. The DBs on this team are stupid fast and adjust to the ball real well, and anytime QBs float one — like I saw Sanchez do at least twice yesterday — they usually get hawked.

15. peytonmanning18

Not even close. Rivers is good but not even close to the same level as Manning. Manning will find a weakness in you defense and he will exploit it. All I know is that your offense is going to have to score more than 20 points to win this game. We won't make the same boneheaded mistakes to hand you the game like San Diego did.

16. Br4d

People who have not seen the Jets play this year just don't understand how much of our troubles were associated with Sanchez, Schotty and the injuries we had early on that disrupted things. Losing Cotchery for Sanchez 5th, 6th and 7th games really set the offense back. Losing Leon Washington for the season in game 7 was another adjustment.

The Jets defense had some adjustment issues also after Kris Jenkins went down and we lost Lito Sheppard for 5 games, but it never got derailed the way the offense did.

This team is a much better team than 9-7 right now. The offense is very functional because it has the strongest ground game in the NFL. The defense is probably as good against the pass as any defense since the 2002 Bucs. We lost one of our starting corners for 5 games and still finished 30 yards a game better than any other team and only allowed 8 TD's all year (9 now with Rivers ONE TD yesterday) in the air.

It's amazing to me that people don't see this, but then again this is the Jets so until they prove it they'll be doubted. I think this defense is too strong to be beat at this point. The Jets are going to have to beat themselves on special teams and offense to lose.

17. BelieveInBlue

BelieveInBlue New Member

"The Lord:"

So, 10 passes against the Pats is so much lesser than 15 against the Bengals? Really?

I guess you don't get it, but what I'm saying is because Sanchez can't carry the team — and because I believe no team can beat the Colts without a quick-strike capability — he's a liability. In case you didn't know, the Dolphins — who beat your team twice — had nearly 45 minutes TOP and more than 200 yards on the ground against the Colts, and Manning still directed them to a win. Does that really not give you pause?

As for your comparison of defenses, you should probably adjust for the game that was given to the Jets with a horrible Curtis Painter at the helm for 20 minutes versus the Ravens having to defend Manning for a whole 60. And those numbers really aren't as big a disparity as you claim, given they both indicate a losing opposition.

Comparing the Chargers and Colts is absurd. If you look strictly at numbers, you'd think it was the Chargers who had won 14, but that isn't the case. If you want to make numbers lie, look at the fact the Chargers scored at least 20 points in every game this season, yet they legitimately lost three games, whereas the Colts scored less than 20 three times (when playing a full 60) and won all three games.

And, loathe as I am to say this, the Chargers yesterday reminded me of the Colts in a few recent postseasons: Rusty to start, and choking the game away with costly turnovers, poor clock management, and missed FGs.

These are not those Colts.

Ultimately, the Colts have proven they can win any kind of game. I expect that to continue.

18. peytonmanning18

I don't think they necessarily have to be quick strike. If they can establish a good running game, stay out of 3rd and long, avoid turnovers, and get touchdowns and not field goals when in the red zone, the Jets have a punchers chance.

19. Coach K

Coach K New Member

I made fun of Manning when? are you sure you dont have me confused with a voice in your head?

If you read what I said instead of reacting emotionally, youd realize I repeatedly said were underdogs for a reason. You guys are the better team, anyone can see that. theres no need for me to puke out the self implied knowledge that Manning is a field general and a pre-snap guru and the Jets will have to make proper adjustments or create decieving fronts; even then its all about execution cause theres really no fooling Manning.

I just see the slew of 20+ point wins being casually thrown around by Colts fans though and its just plain absurd.

Alright, so your idea of pointing out so much "knowledge" I obviously lack is, just covering what you said :

-Braylon Edwards has trouble making routine catches. (Nobody has had the foresight or the audacity to go out on that limb)

-Jerricho Cotchery is small ( last I checked 6 ft 203 is pretty average. you make him sound like hes 5 ft 10 180.)

-Dwight Freeney is good at rushing the passer. (no shit)

-Dallas Clark creates matchup problems (you think were running a 3-4 all day. yes you can pet the mouse Lenny)

-Faneca and Mangold need to create holes for our rush offense to succeed. (your right as opposed to not blocking, which always works when running)

-Playing with a broken hand will hinder Shaun Ellis (yea hands are pretty important)

Nowhere did you hear me say anything in my intial post about us blowing you out or me kicking dirt on Peyton Manning. Seriously, grow up.

I just think its funny how you, just like every other fan whos come here to claim instant dominance over the Jets; rattles off like 6 talking points that favor their team. then proceed to talk as if theyre convinced each one of them will go their way.

All I expect is a hell of a game.

****edited because I forgot the Shaun Ellis point, wouldnt want him to say I dont bring up all of his valuable insight******

#139 Coach K, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  20. OrganizedKonfusion

OrganizedKonfusion New Member

20-16 Jets!!!!!!!!!