Jets/Chargers Divisional Round Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I understand your point, except I doubt on the Tony G play that it was THE CALL ITSELF to leave him open. In other words it's one thing to call the zone and another if a player misses his assignment within the call.

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Hey maybe one might find over time that the players make too many mistakes when they go to zone coverage, that the propensity to make mistakes is greater than in man, and that you have to conclude, as you alluded to, that the risks of doing so at critical moments overcomes the advantage obtained from changing up the D.

But a player missing an assignment is not the same thing as saying the call was wrong.

I understand your point about Strickland was not so much a mistake of his as to the coverage as it was that Revis was doing fine and should have been left in man coverage. But the Tony G play was different.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

When I read Ravens message boards occasionally, their main complaint last season and the season before about Rex was the befuddling tendency to switch from his successful attacking defense to a soft zone in the final drive of a 1 score game to avoid the big score, even though the aggressive scheme is what kept offenses from making the big scores.

So far, we have done exactly this in a loss against Miami (MNF), a loss against Atlanta, a loss against Buffalo and a loss against Jacksonville.

Of course, the plays not being made always end up being execution, but at some point you have to end these games on the strengths of your defense, not the weaknesses. See the end of the first Patriots game for an example of ending the game and preventing a game-winning drive with the strengths of your attacking defense. It's not so much a bad playcall as it is abandoning a successful philosophy.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

That's just not true. The call had him covered in that zone but Strickland was out of position.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/12/20/2009-12-20_jets_gamer.html

4. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I'm confident that Rex knows not to EVER sit back or let up against Rivers and co. Our defense will be after his head all day looking for a KO. They won't be playing games, that's all I know. I can see Pace having a huge game and getting a strip or fumble or perhaps even injuring Rivers. The house will be brought.

5. abyzmul

I am confident that Rex will blitz the hell out of Rivers most of the game on Sunday.

But if the Jets have a small lead at the end of the game and the Chargers have a chance to march down the field, I am not so confident that Rex won't drop his defense into a conservative zone. 4 close losses have eroded that confidence.

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair New Member

I sense a lot of nervousness, tight stomachs from both Charger and Jets fans..neither is confident that the game will be a lock..despite all the rantings about their respective skill position players..

Usually people running their mouths about how great this or that is, is related to underconfidence. A bluff from an opponent who really doesn't want to run the risk of "mixing it up" because the enemy is really not fully known or appreciated. Fan out the feathers, arch the back and hiss, scratch the ground, makes some noise, look big, avoid declaring victory, just appear too tough to take on..

I tell you this though man, the Chargers are going to get their kicks before the whole shit house goes up in flames! LOL..

7. SDMisfit

SDMisfit New Member

Phillip Rivers Statistically vs. "the blitz" (from NFL.com)

Comp - Attempts: 92-163
    Yards - 1,440
    Comp% - 56.4
    YPA - 8.83
    TD - 13
    Int - 3
    Sacked - 11

Rating - 104.8

#467 SDMisfit, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I think if we Blitz Rivers all game that we will get burned big time.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

the same was said about brees.

10. ........

........ Trolls

I think you'll find that most of our position comes from the negativity and bravado we've seen on your team's messageboards. Your fans DO seem to look at it as a lock, and our emphatic discussions of our team's strengths serve mostly as a reminder that it will be a tough game and that we do have a chance to beat you. The Chargers are still my SB pick, but I do like our chances.

11. Bolts2SB

Bolts2SB New Member

12. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

Yes, we are all nervous wrecks leading up to this and it is because both teams are so strong on opposite sides of the ball. Look, I'm nervous as hell for ONE reason and that's the Chargers pass attack and WR advantage. That's all. I'm not worried about the Chargers defense that much.

But if I'm the Chargers, I'm nervous as hell for 2 reasons. The Jets defense AND the Jets running game. Geez, I might even throw a 3rd variable in there. If Sanchez has a nice little game throwing how the hell are they going to stop Edwards , Keller and Cotchery? Those guys arent chopped liver.

Basically, I am of the opinion that the Chargers are on a roll and are a great team. But are they well rounded? Not really.

13. Electric Chair

Ignatious, you've underscored my point! Bravado begets bravado! There're gonna be broken winda's and busted down doors..We're gonna wang dang doodle all afternoon long! Gonna be a good game..

14. Electric Chair

Concussion80..here's my bit of bravado for the Bolts: No one is bragging about their D. But they stiffen up where it counts: in the red zone. So, you'll see a lot of yardage against our team, but not the proportionate scores..Our team may not be characterized as well rounded, a better term might be well Grounded. They are not buying into the hype as previous years. They are cold and calculating and ready to roll. Will it be enough? We'll find out Sunday with clenched teeth and tight gut..

15. ........

........ Trolls

That's true. You guys have been pretty solid in the RZ this season. That being said, we do have one of the best GL units in the league.

16. abyzmul

I have no doubt about that, but the Jets have won a number of games by choosing the right time to bring the house. But in the end of games that we lost a close one, the zone was entirely reminiscent of the 2008 Jets defense in the second half of the season.

17. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

We had Jenkins in that game killing the middle of their O line. They ran all over us that game and didn't need Brees to lite us up.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

^ he did throw 33 times.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but as of right now it looks like we'll be at full strength in the secondary this week. I don't know if this has happened since the first week of the season ...

19. ........

........ Trolls

That would be huge. We're going to need it this week. The only teams we've faced with similarly talented stables of receivers were Houston, NE, NO, and Indy. Out of those, we only played a full game against the full strength of the corps against NE. Walter, Welker, Moore all missed time in the other games and Indy rested in the second half.

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member