Woodson DPOTY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Jan 12, 2010.

1. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

What a BS popularity contest. Seriously, did any of these voters actually watch film? Or just compare highlight reels?

2. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

the fact that woodson had double the votes makes amazes me...were people not noticing DR shutting down every elite WR in the game?

3. ........

........ Trolls

Unsurprising. As I said, the writers have made it clear for weeks now that they were basing it on the visible contributions of Woodson. They can see him lined up all over the field, can see him getting his numbers. You can't see the absence that Revis left all season long except in the opposing WR numbers. They didn't bother to try to quantify the impact that absence had on the ability of the rest of the team in pass coverage. They just went with the more visible choice. It's unfortunate, but we all saw it coming.

4. BleednGreen

BleednGreen Member

highway robbery

5. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

If Revis keeps playing as he is now and even improves (which is tough to phathom he could actually take it up a notch given how great he already is) he will defintely be in the HOF at the end of his career. I think he would sign for that over DPOTY.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Woodson is an All-Pro player approaching retirement age who had never won the award. I think that probably played heavily into the voter's decision. It really was a fairly close call and I'd have voted for Revis without hesitation because I think he had the better year despite the gaudy stats Woodson put up.

To those saying that Revis is a shutdown CB who never gets thrown at: well, it's hard to lead the NFL in passes defensed if people are not throwing your way. The story of the Jets season is that their pass defense shut down the opposition no matter who was getting thrown at. It helped a lot that opposing QB's chose to throw at Revis as much as they did because you can't complete a lot of passes doing that and almost nothing of significance.

7. BOOMheadshot

BOOMheadshot Banned

BOOM.

Nuke? Dee!stroyed.
    Better luck next year Mets.

Woodson = true DPOY

8. Jets get screwed as always. Correct me if I'm wrong but we've never had a DPOY in our entire existence. Would've been a nice accolade.

Those shrugging this off assuming that Revis will get plenty of future awards...just bare in mind that although Revis appears to be a special type of player...CB's reputation and success can change with a drop of a hat. See: Deangelo Hall, Marcus Trufant,Samari Rolle, Chris Mccallister and others.

9. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

If Revis plays like this every year, he'll be considered the greatest CB to ever play the game in my opinion.

10. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

They mainly judge by Interceptions and TD's, so I guess it isn't a shocker, but the whole point of a cornerback i'm pretty sure is to cover and stop your opponent, so.........

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

BOOM...you're a homo......*R2D2 noises*

12. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

and also look at who the Packers played -- Lions twice, bears twice, cardinals with Leinart, Browns, Rams, Tampa, Seahawks, Ravens, SF - not really a scary list of QBs and WR. Sure the Cardinals but that was the last game of the season and Warner watched.

Woodson never had to really shut down a WR and he was allowed to roam. He didn't have to face a list of All-Pro WRs!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/video/shows/afterparty

#52 85inthehall, Jan 12, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Only argument is that Woodson never had to go up against the elite WR's Revis did.

14. TorontoJETSfan

TorontoJETSfan New Member

I'm sure he will take the Vince Lombardi trophy over the DPOY anyday...

15. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

If people were going to talk about banning SdChargeher in the "Chargers Look-Alikes" thread, then I'll go ahead and nominate this guy.

16. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

does anyone think Revis couldn't blitz and force fumbles if he tried? Rex does so many DB blitzes. but why take your best cover guy out of coverage when it takes little skill to blitz as a DB? Rex's DB's usually have free shots at the QB if they get there. I'm pretty sure Revis has a sack/strip/fumble recovery last season in buffalo.

woodson also seems more worried about creating a turnover then just playing good coverage or making the tackle. Instead he'll whack at the ball and the receiver will gain an extra 4-5 yards.

17. perfectpackage99

revis

i don't think Revis really cares about the award, obviously its a nice award to have, but regardless, pending serious injury, Revis will get a huge contract and will become the leagues highest paid corner.

I think in someway it's good he didn't win, accolades and awards at a young age, lead to arrogance and megalomania.

This week is a big test with Revis, it isn't always about the receiver, it's about the QB putting passes in places that the CB can't defend.

Awards mean nothing as much as I'm concerned,

18. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Well that sucks.....but on to more important things. Revis still has games to play, Woodson is done.

19. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

First CornerBack to win the SuperBowl MVP

edit: whoops Larry Brown already won tha lol

maybe not this year, but it's comin baby.

20. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Someone forgot to take their meds.