Woodson DPOTY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Jan 12, 2010.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

This is what I expected. Anytime you have a CB like Woodson with as many picks and as many TDs as he has going against a pure cover-guy like Revis, it's going to be hard for Woodson to lose. Woodson is the "sexier" choice. We ALL know that Revis is a better one-on-one cover corner than Charles Woodson. Another key factor that has been mentioned already but that most don't seem to be taking to heart is that the voting was very likely done before Wildcard weekend. Thus, Woodson getting toasted by Fitzgerald likely never came into play for the voters.

The big thing that bothers me is how many top receivers Revis totally shut down. I just don't know how a CB could be any more dominant than Revis was this season. Oh well.

2. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

whatever...The Jets still don't get the respect....and that's fine. I hope Rex TAKES the respect with a healthy playoff run.

Now that Revis is pissed.....Phillip Rivers and the SD wideouts will be the focal point of his anger....

3. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

I hope Woodson polishes his trophey while watching Revis in the playoffs.

4. tcrock

tcrock Well-Known Member

Woodson deserved it, he had some gaudy stats......Revis is clearly a better player though and will get this award himself soon. just another reason to play with the proverbial chip on the shoulder this weekend

5. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Your team gives up 51 points last week and is absolutely shredded through the air and you win DPOTY? What a joke!

6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

That's some BS-

It's annoying that these voters are so blind-

It's not fair, it's just not fair, that is my CB.

7. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Post of the day!!

Damn shame............Jet Fans know who deserved the award.

8. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

This is not the week to care in my opinion. We know how good he is. Its just an award voted on by the biggest idiots in the land, so called sports experts. Its all about the Chargers!!!!!!!

9. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

I also think there is some backlash because of all the talking that Rex has done and even Revis, earlier in the year when he was talking about Moss.

Talking is fine, but there are repercussions and this is one of them. The vote should've been close, and the fact that it wasn't tells me there's more at work.

10. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

guys we all know these assclown sports writers only vote based on stats...id rather have revis flying under the radar as much as possible...we all know hes the best defensive player and thats all that matters.

11. FriendlyGiantsFan

FriendlyGiantsFan New Member

I hate to play Devil's Advocate here, but keep in mind that the award is Defensive PLAYER of the Year and not Defensive BACK of the Year. Revis is easily the better coverage man and it's not really close. In terms of impact plays (sacks, forced fumbles, defensive TDs) Woodson has made more and this allows one to make (though certainly not definitively win) the argument that Woodson is a better defensive player. Again, Revis is clearly the better coverage man and the better corner. Woodson is more of an "impact player" in terms of the stats I mentioned before.

Think back to last year. Asomugha only allowed 13 catches (or something crazy like that) for a little over 100 yards and no TDs. Demarcus Ware, however, had an assload (citation needed) of sacks and won DPOY. In the case of Woodson and Revis it's easy to fall into the trap of comparing them as corners and not defensive players, whereas in the case of Ware and Asomugha it's not possible to make that mistake, and this seems to be what's grating on everyone.

For the record, I'm not trying to advocate one way or another. I just wanted to show what could have been the rationale amongst the voters.

12. SixFeetDeep

SixFeetDeep Red Hot Robbie Cano

I would argue that revis had more of an impact because he shut down each teams #1 receiver EVERY WEEK, allowing the jets defense to blitz and double other players. revis is the reason the jets had the number 1 defense.

13. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

I'm not upset Woodson won it, but as other have pointed out, he won it going away! 28-14, that's INSANE that there was that much separation between the two...

14. FriendlyGiantsFan

You could make that point, but depending on the offense you play it may not be the case. If you take away Steve Smith from the Panthers, then you have done a lot to stop that offense. If you take away Colston from the Saints they still have a ton of receiving options. If you take away Mason from the Ravens, they are still going to try to run the ball. My point is that removing the #1 WR from a team, which Revis does better than any I have ever seen, is not necessarily as significant as getting a sack, FF, or INT.

Also, Woodson played outside, slot, and safety, FWIW. I don't know if that matters, but I forgot to mention it before.

15. Brian2008

Brian2008 New Member

This is a joke:mad: Revis SHUTDOWN every "elite" reciever he faced this year, totally took away his side of the field, and led the JETS to the #1 defense in the NFL. To be that lopsided is just simply awful.
    Revis is the man:beer:

16. perfectpackage99

Total B.s. Warner And Fitzgerald Lit Up Woodson,

Anyway League Has Always Been About Stats, Woodson Had Better Stats On Paper, But No Doubt In My Mind Revis Is A Better Corner.

Total B.s., But Who Cares, Woodson Is Home Now Playing Madden 2010.

17. jetsaholic1094

jetsaholic1094 New Member

Whatever. Just because the writers got it wrong doesn't change the fact Revis is the best defensive player in the league right now.

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Which is basically what Warner and Rodgers were doing anyway.

19. FriendlyGiantsFan

Hahaha! I just needed to say that this actually made me laugh out loud.

20. JetsLookingforDWare

The voting isn't based on the last and worst game they played...Nor is it based on playoff performance...

Woodson was a worthy choice.