Shonn Greene

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nyjetsrule, Dec 27, 2009.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Also two Field Goals-

At least you'r still being negative!! Good Job on that chief. Leave it a typical SOJ fan to find something to bitch about after a HUGE win.

2. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

Way to be negative. The offense managed the game very well, and drove in for 2 FGs in addition to our Touchdown.

Are you going to say that we don't deserve to be in the playoffs now?

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Wow, people on this board make me sad. I am not a typical SOJ fan LOL. Probably the most positive Jets fan I know. Everyone: STOP MAKING THINGS PERSONAL. State your opinion and then argue it, if you wish. Why say I'm a SOJ fan? Have you seen me make many negative posts?

All I was doing was arguing a point defending Schottenheimer, who is a terrible OC. Plain and simple: the Jets offense was not that good yesterday. Schottenheimer called a terrible game, starting their first possession with three throws and ruining the flow and momentum of countless drives with awful gimmicky play calls.

4. PJ4Ever

:bangs head against wall repeatedly:

5. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

there's no way our most consistent offensive producer of the past 3 seasons will be outright released before next year. with leon and unknown, jones will be the starter next year until he proves he can't handle it.

6. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I disagree with you. Respectfully, but I do disagree.

My single complaint with Schottenheimer is that he can't seem to get it in his head that having the league's best rushing attack should be an open door to the play-action passing attack. If he'd call 5 of those a game, Sanchez would be looking at RotY honors right now.

As for the gimmicky stuff, I'm tired of seeing people complain about them. They work. Period. You do what works. Those gimmick plays are the only thing preventing us from throwing more.

You cannot run the ball all game long. I don't care who is running or who is blocking. At some point, when you line up Jones and Richardson in the backfield, the defense is going to see it coming. So the gimmick plays break that up the way passes are supposed to.

People want Schotty to stop putting Sanchez into positions where he makes bad throws, but they also want him to stop being gimmicky. All while we already have two RBs who were around the 100 mark yesterday. How much more can you run?

You can't have it three ways. Hell, two is impossible.

7. PJ4Ever

It's NOT the gimmicky plays that bother me. It's WHEN he uses them. He uses these stupid plays when the offense is rolling and the Jets get into scoring position. He just doesn't know how to call a game imo... these gimmicks do work sometimes...but when everything's going right..stick with what's going right!

8. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

I hope Greene gets called upon again against the Bengals as much as he did against the Colts. He was solid yesterday, and hey, Jones was good as well.

9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

What's usually going right is the run game. Over and over and over.

You simply cannot run the ball much more than we already do. Again, my belief is that he should be calling for the play-action, rather than the gadget plays, but he has to call something besides Jones right up the middle.

The only thing I can guess is that he doesn't have enough confidence in Sanchez yet to pull off the PA. So he calls the Wildcat formations to break up the Jones/Greene tandem repetition.

Again, we scored points yesterday in the second-half while there were still many starters on the field. It's hard to find fault in that. And we'd have won with last week's game plan if we had just hit 2 of 3 FGs.

People's hatred of Schotty clouds their judgement of the job he's doing. Fortunately, Rex doesn't feel the same.

10. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

There must be some reason why Schotty choose not to run play-action plays. I don't get it. I haven't seen ONE.

11. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

What does it take to make everyone happy?

12. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

If we won the Super Bowl some Jets fans will complain that our draft position will screw us in subsequent years, or that it would guarantee another season with Schotty.

13. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

If our offense can put 17 points on the board (touchdown, extra point, two two-pointers, two field goals) without turning the ball over once, I'm happy.

Not enough emphasis is being placed on the value of those two-point conversions. In two separate do-or-die goal line situations, Sanchez got the ball in the end zone. That is a HUGE step forward.

14. Ohio Jet

Ohio Jet New Member

It's not about hate for Schotty. He is a weak OC. Hopefully he will improve over his career but he is poor at his job right now.

Good teams play their strengths. They make you stop their best players and what they, as a team, do best. Schotty consistently defaults to a third or fourth option trying to surprise the other team in key situations.

Last week against Atlanta - Woodhead saw two targets before Edwards, Cotch or Keller.

This week in a key drive that was establishing momenteum, we saw a double reverse to Clowney, followed by a second and long short pass to Woodhead, followed by a third and long draw.

We should be pounding Jones and Greene down peoples throat and mixing it up with play actions to Keller and Cotch while consisting sending Edwards on longer routes to keep things spread out and honest.

When you have the key components, it's not about schemes - its about execution.

15. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I agree with a lot of what you say but I disagree on the gimmick plays working. I don't think they've worked most of the time, and a lot of times they seem to be absolutely disastrous. Having Brad Smith in two plays in a row was ridiculous as well.

For a rookie QB, you don't want him ever coming off the field, let him get that exp and stay in the game. He's the leader of the offense or needs to be, you can't take him out like that. There are plenty of other plays you can try out, like flea flickers or play action passes as you mentioned to break up the repetitiveness of running. But if you're a power running team, you will still run it down their throats a lot. That's also why TJ isn't the right back for this type of attack, you need a Marion Barber, AP, Frank Gore, that type of hard running back. I'm not a big TJ fan but it's more the style than just not liking TJ either.

Sanchez might still win ROTY especially if the Jets make the playoffs. I guess Harvin has done really well, Moreno has been solid, but QB is still the premium position and he's been the best rookie QB, despite the ups and downs and the media and fans bashing him. Rookie QB for the NYJ is the hardest position to play in the NFL because of the fans and media here. Everyone's looking for the next Joe Namath.

16. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

No disrespect, but Sanchez comes off the field on offense for 3-4 plays a game. No offense but if 3 plays a game is whats holding him back then Mark is in big freakinig trouble.

Henne is developing fine in Miami after coming off the field 10-15 times a game for that wildcat.

Also its not likely Mark would be throwing too many of those 3-4 plays he is off the field for.

So no I don't agree for shit with you at all on that point. Alio is right, we need to do some trick plays to break up the run, run, run, run, run and run some more. To be honest, we need to develop a play action game, and we need to develop it now if we plan on making the postseason and actually advancing a round or more.

17. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Well my point was that we should develop the play action pass game instead of trying the trick plays. Look around the league, the best teams generally don't rely on trick plays. The Fins aren't a good team. If the Jets want to get to that level, they're going to need Sanchez to develop into a good QB, and the teams with good QBs in this league use the pass rather than trick plays. I'm not opposed to a trick play here and there, but not as a staple of the offense rather than a passing game.

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Now I love bashing Schottenheimer as much as the next guy but can we please have one thread where we just stick to the topic? Let's get back to praising the awesomeness that was Shonn Greene's performance against the Colts. Dude. Was. God.

19. 1EyeWalker

1EyeWalker New Member

To answer an earlier question, Greene was getting the majority of carries earlier in the game because he was more effective running the ball against the Colts' first team defense than was Thomas Jones. Simple as that.

20. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

He may very well be taking over the starting job at some point next season. My guess is that he wins it in TC.