Was Pete Carroll right about Sanchez?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Dec 26, 2009.

1. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Yup, Pete Carroll acted like a whiny little girl and was unbelievably unprofessional just because he didn't want to have to start Matt Barkley.

As for Mark Sanchez, this is a serious question: what did people expect from a rookie who's started some 16 high level games in his life? An instant MVP? You can count the number of rookies who came into the NFL and had seamless success on one or two hands. Give the kid a fucking break.

2. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I'm sure he would have benefited from staying for another season at USC. But he also benefited from playing for a full season in the NFL...

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

If the coaching staff's plan was to get this guy early and mold him into an elite NFL QB, they're doing a shitty job of that so far.

I understand the Rookie QB excuse to a certain extent, but I really haven't seen much out of Sanchez this season to convince me that he will be an elite QB in the future. I expected SOME flashes of brilliance, anything that would make me optimistic, but I can't think of anything.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Sanchez has been fine all things considered:

1. Crappy receivers outside of Jerrico Cotchery and Leon Washington.

2. Clueless coaching staff.

3. Hot start that raised expectations beyond all reason.

4. Typical NY media feeding frenzy, although I do have to say they could have been worse as a group.

5. Jets fans starved for success and tired of just good enough to tease - which is what we were most likely to get out of the Jets this year.

6. Desperate former coach who knew he was fucked as soon as Sanchez left.

7. Typical NFL talent pro attempts to degrade his value so he would fall in the draft to where they had a shot at him (doesn't have an NFL arm, was lazy and disinterested at combine, cocky and over confident - well 1 out of 3 was right.)

Sanchez has one thing going for him right now. He has a huge contract and from that he gets stability that will generally wipe out all the BS above over time.

5. basemontalk

basemontalk New Member

yeah i agree with pete carroll , he isnt ready for NFL:buffaloblows:

6. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

You weren't impressed by his play thee first 3 weeks of the season? What about the games against Miami?

7. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

:beer: Well said.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Yes, he came out too early. No, he has not irreparably damaged his growth as a QB. If he stayed in college for another year, he would have had a better rookie season. Nothing more.

9. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

Brett Favre singlehandly put an end to Shottenheimer having any chance to be a HC candidate.

10. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

I guess whenever the Jets lose there always has to be a scapegoat. I guess our offense should have been firing on ally cylinders with a rookie Qb, no true WR depth until we got Edwards mid-season ,a TE who forgot how to run routes . the loss of our best offensive playmaker(leon) and an OG who appers to be past his prime( Faneca) . So yeah , its all Shotty's fault :rolleyes:

11. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

One thing I have been considering is he saw his receiving core change after getting some good practice with guys like Stuckey, Leon, Cotch....etc. Then Stuckey was traded, put in Braylon. Cotch and Leon go down, in comes Clowney....Cotch comes back, out goes Clowney, constant changes this year, though things have settled down lately.

12. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

This should have been a poll...

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't that be a nice problem. We could easily go 19-0 if the teams we played would just rest their starters against us...

14. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Agreed - someone put one up with some decent options
    :beer:

15. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Was Pete Carroll also right about Freeman and Stafford as well? thier rookie struggles are similar to Mark's so none of them must be ready to come out right?

...or perhaps Caroll is a whily little bitch because he lost the key to his offense this season.

16. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

This.....

I'm shocked people are still trying to debate this point. Pete didn't make those bullshit comments for "the good of Mark's development"...it was 100% selfish on Pete's part

17. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

I was, but once opposing team's got a feel for his weaknesses it went all downhill.

I'm not going to sit here and say that Pete Carroll was right, because he hasn't been a complete disaster, and QBs who have played all 4 years in college have had similar if not worse starts than Sanchez. I'll give him another season before making a decision on whether or not he is a bust.

18. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

I think he will be better in 2010 having played 2009 in the NFL than he would have been if he'd played 2009 at SC.

19. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

There's no good defenses USC would have faced this year. So his learning curve on that end would not have improved. So no, Sanchez did not leave too early.

20. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Carroll was right. He NEEDED Sanchez. Losing him cost USC the season.