Chad Henne vs Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by zor, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

See but it's not.

We are not comparing 2 first year QB's and yes it is.

Compare Henne to Flacco and/or Matt Ryan is he better than those 2?

#41 Miamipuck, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Both are starting for the first time this year...

I dont see how its so crazy to compare Henne and Sanchez in their first year starting. Henne sat a year, but he had no real playing experience in the NFL until week 4 this year...

Did sitting for a year help? Sure. Any more than having a vastly superior receiving corps helps Sanchez? Nope.

The playing field is pretty even between the 2. Henne has a little more experience... but hes also in a much more difficult situation...

#42 FinNasty, Dec 14, 2009
  3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

henne sitting for a year did a lot for him.

it does a lot for any QB. I wanted Sanchez to sit for a year, but the Jets don't have that luxury due to a man named Kellen Clemens.

Henne has a extreme advantage for sitting a year and being a 3 year starter at Michigan.

4. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Thank you sir thread/

Edit: sitting a year and learning the system is worth more than Randy Moss and Wes Welker.

#44 Miamipuck, Dec 14, 2009
  5. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

I agree, it helped.

But how about being helped by having a Pro Bowl WR and another legit WR in Cotchery to throw to? Plus, a much better receiving TE too.

I mean, he has WRs that get separation consistently. WRs that can make plays and beat a defender 1v1 for a ball.

Henne doesnt have anything like that to throw to. Hes throwing to garbage. There are 20 teams in this league that have both #1s and #2s better than anything we have, lol. And he has a blocking TE to throw to. He has the worst set of receiving targets (WR and TE) in the league.

You dont think that is a massive disadvantage?

6. 624

624 Banned

Cotchery was injured a lot this season(against Dolphins) and Edwards came in Week 5 with no chemistry and a new offense.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Its made up for with high percentage throws. Bess on 3rd down is pretty good. Bess will be a player in this league. Ginn didn't work out for you guys, that was obvious before the draft, so you have no #1 but paying a WR #1 money.

The game also looks a lot slower to Henne than it does to Sanchez due to that year on the bench. Parcells knows what he's doing. Pennington sat for a year, and he has the wherewithal to play immediately.

Forget personnel, I'm talking about how the game looks in a perfect pocket to both of the QBs. Also, I know Henning runs a simpler offense than Schotty, and they both love gimmicks. That helps too, especially when you are a 16 start college QB coming into that offense when the offense is nice and simple. Sanchez doesn't have a simple offense to run, he has a 4 year starter offense to run, that's why a color coding system had to be installed as if he's a 6 year old... and he likes to force a throw in there every now in then.

8. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Just curious..... What team wouldn't take Devone Bess? He can't get separation? He seems to do fine whenever I watch him.... albeit it isn't much.

Same with Camarillo he makes a clutch catch or 2 weekly.

Are they superstars......... nope not by a long shot.

What the Fins lack is the big name go to guy. All their other players would be fine if they had that one guy.

The Jets just got that guy in Edwards and suffice to say, he isn't killing it. He isn't on the same page with may of his team mates, as it is very difficult coming to a new team and knowing their playbook. Let alone be in tune with a new QB, that is a true rookie. I am not taking into account Edwards crisco hands either.

Also Cotchery prior to Edwards was the only true NFL caliber Wr on the Jets roster and he was hurt for 4-5 games.

It's not like the Jets have this otherworldly WR corp that just tips the scales in Sanchez's favor because that is pretty much bunk.

Edit: ND Mick again has an excellent post. A year on the bench just slows the game down. Also all dolfans should be happy Chad P ( not in the respect of him getting hurt just getting Henne a chance), got injured. If not for that, Henne would still be sitting. That season and a 1/4 sitting really helped.

#48 Miamipuck, Dec 14, 2009
  9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

its underrated how much maturation goes on when all you do is learn, slow things down, and be prepared to be the unquestioned starter in the upcoming season.

Parcells was going to give Henne two years on the bench and then start him in 2010. I remember reading that. Henne would look 10 times more comfortable if Pennington stayed healthy and Henne started next year. Then this debate wouldn't be happening. Fuck Chad Pennington :)

10. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

I literally can list 20 teams that have better #1s and #2s than our best WR. I guess Bess?

And the game also looks differently when your WRs are running open vs. when you are looking around and all your WRs are draped...

Ya, whats up with that color coated wrist thing? lol

11. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

can someone please just tell his guy that Henne RuWELZ ZOMG!!1! so we can all move on? Comparing QBs just finding there feet is not productive. Come back in two years when there will be stats worth comparing

12. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

No, he's not in a more difficult situation. Sanchez is playing in the biggest media market in the world and his EVERY move/comment is being dissected in a way Henne's isn't. Sanchez had the tag of 'savior' of the franchise thrust upon him with no veteran QB to mentor him and only 16 college starts under his belt. I will say that right now the Jets have a better receiving corps. Fair enough, but the last few games I've watched them Hartline, Bess and even Camarillo have played very well for him. Fasano has been up and down, but he's not terrible at all. Once Ginn was removed as a starter your WR's are playing well, they just don't have name recognition yet.

And you keep begging for a comment about why we think there's more upside with Sanchez. Here's my take, Henne is going to be a safer overall QB. Not spectacular, but very solid. Not very mobile, but will stay in the pocket and make the throws he should. Once Sanchez harnesses his mindset of trying to make a spectacular play regardless of the situation, I think he'll be making more spectacular plays when things start to breakdown.

You guys should be happy with what you've got and I'm thrilled with what we've got. Here's to a decade of exciting games with these 2 at the helm...

13. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Keep in mind... that this was never done for Henne this offseason. Pennington was still our unquestioned starter...

And ya, the plan was for Henne to be our starting QB in 2010. They did say it. Pennington's contract was ending after this year and they made the public statement before this year even happened... b/c they were going to make the transition even if Pennington had a good year. However, I was pretty convinced that Penny was going to lose his job at some point. I was thinking around the bye... especially with how poorly Pennington was playing the first few weeks...

14. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Well thats boring. What the hell is the point of a message board then? lol

Not to talk and debate about football?

15. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Right now Henne is looking impressive. He has shitty ass receivers in Miami and is playing very well.

It's too early to label Sanchez as anything. I've said it a million fucking times.

16. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Camarillo, Bess, and Hartline are ok with the underneath stuff. But they arent WRs that are going to stretch the field. They are hitch/slant/drag/out type WRs. Our route tree is pretty limited... which makes it easier for DB's to defend b/c there are less routes they need worry about defending.

And about the bold... thank you for at least stating why. Thats all I was asking for... instead of just saying "Sanchez will be better". Add some analysis behind it.

So, you think Sanchez will make bigger plays than Henne? Cant say I'd agree with that. Not to say Henne will make more than Sanchez, but like Sanchez, Henne also pushes the ball downfield as much as he can in limited opportunities with our WRs. His knock from college was that he didnt check down. Hes obviously improved on that since his days at Michigan, but he still pushes the ball down the field in his reads as often as he can. And he has a stronger arm than Sanchez to help him do that.

Both Henne and Sanchez like the big play, and arent afraid to air it out. I think you will see Henne's big play total rise once he gets a WR capable of making those plays...

#56 FinNasty, Dec 14, 2009
  17. 624

624 Banned

This is just a normal debate, with a Fin fan that actually can hold a conversation and bring up some solid points.

But I think both of us are going to think our guy is better just because of the natural bias of them being on our respective teams. For now we can just say that since Sanchez was a higher draft pick and a better prospect out of college, the guys who make scouting and running a team their careers obviously saw Sanchez as a more talented player. Henne has impressed me though in his maturity and "calmness." Hopefully Sanchez will settle down one of these days as well.

#57 624, Dec 14, 2009
  18. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

I know I know, I was just being a sourpuss. It's just hard to debate the issue this early in their careers.

Sorry black Mario FinNasty, friends? :bills_suck:

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

The Jets receivers aren't always open. Sometimes they are standing 5 feet from each other which makes them covered by one CB alone. Schotty has done that to the offense. I was speaking in terms of the game in a vacuum. Forget covered WRs. Just those two dropping back and seeing the field - Henne has the leg up due to the year learning.

Henne is being nurtured correctly this year since he's in a year ahead of schedule. But what he did against the pats was pretty impressive.

The color coded thing had to be done because Sanchez would try to be a hero and turn the ball over. that's on the Coordinator and QB coach for not drilling it into this kids head to get better. After the Buffalo 5 INT game, Ryan had to install a Sesame Street Color Coding system because Schotty couldn't get the job done.

The offense has improved, but in terms of nurturing a young QB, Schotty is bad at it, and he could single handedly destroy Sanchez. He's rushing him too quickly. You can't take the training wheels off after 3 good games. They had to stay on all season, but Cutesy can't do that. And he doesn't know when to call certain plays. You don't go spread formation no huddle on the 1 yard line after a big gain. You send in TJ and get the TD. The man will ruin a kid with immense potential.

#59 NDmick, Dec 14, 2009
  20. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Mick the fact of the matter is they gave Sanchez a bigger chunk of playbook then Favre had last year. That is fucking insane to do to a rookie. Thank god Ryan had enough. Thank god he took command. Can you imagine if they hadn't?

They dialed it back a bunch Sanchez has improved. Gee go figure. Now if they can only teach him to slide.