Analyzing the playcalls against Buffalo - Every offensive play

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Abyzmul for OC of the NY JETS!!!!

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I was annoyed at Schotty for not using Greene enough, and the trickery in some situations was just uncalled for - but after really looking at the game this closely, I do have more respect for him than I did because there were some nice in-game adjustments in the rushing attack (switching from I-forms to bring Hartsock and Turner in on the edges) and a lot of the blown short passing attacks should have worked. There was definitely a lack of execution on a lot of them, and that had as much to do with the loss to the Bills as the questionable playcalling.

Schotty is a very smart dude, and it shows in his play design. I just think he gets a bit full of himself in some of his attacks and he doesn't take into account the capabilities of his personnel, and that can be a dagger to your heart against a team like Buffalo whose coaches gets their players to play up or down to the level of competition like Dick Jauron is famous for.

I really want Schotty to learn from this stuff and become an elite playcaller for the Jets. Any Jets fan should, because BS was the one that hand-picked Sanchez for this team, and if he goes, that means it's a shift in offensive philosophy for our rookie QB and that would be a huge setback in his development. BS called a GREAT gameplan against the Raiders, and I'd like to see him repeat that against the Dolphins.

#42 abyzmul, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  3. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

Wow, this is some serious piece of work breaking all that stuff down. Now I have reading material for the day and something to learn... thanks for that!

I have to agree, it isn't so much that Schott doesn't know what he's doing... I think it is that he outsmarts himself sometimes with all the misdirection stuff. Misdirection is great at times, but not so much when overused. And I think you have to question his ability to recognize when it is time to let go of the bone and go find another one.

4. abyzmul

Thanks WB. You bring up an excellent point about the conflict between the type of offense BS seems to be wanting to implement and the type of offensive focus that Rex has been preaching since Day 1. It's also kind of confusing when you take into account the fact that we traded the farm for a signal caller at the 5th overall pick instead of loading up on defensive and offensive trench players to grind it out on the ground while squeezing the life out of teams with our defense.

The thing I find most confusing here is that we were struggling early on the ground on offense, and our powerful rookie runner was standing on the sidelines watching the action. Greene was probably my biggest pet peeve through 5 games with Schotty. Yes, he's young, and I'm sure he's probably still a terrible pass blocker and receiver, but there have been plenty of strict rushing downs where we used TJ with an I-formation or Leon running up the middle in a single-back set when we could have had a heavy blocking unit in there with Greene bloodying the noses of defenders for a 1st down.

I think that in the end, if Schotty does stay with the Jets and we are able to pick up a few more pieces on offense through FA and the draft in 2010, the O is going to be more balance than anything else, and I like that more than either alternative. Just look at the Saints this year and you'll see what en excellent balanced offensive attack can get you.

5. abyzmul

I really don't have any problem with misdirection when it is used right. Most times, that's what ends up working, unless you just have the most talented and disciplined personnel on the field and the other team can't compete.

For an example, I'd actually go to the defensive side of the ball and compare the 2007 New York Giants to the 2009 New York Jets. Rex knows what talent we have on the defense, but the D-line and pass rushers lack an ideal push on the pocket, so Rex has to use a TON of misdirection to get pressure on the QB most time. Then you look at the Giants' team in '07. That unit was simply the best on the field through the entire season, and the went straight-up pass rush and beat teams man to man.

Schotty does use some very effective misdirection, but you can't confuse that with simple trickery. I think that's where he fails, a lot of times, especially since it seems like it is detrimentally affecting the development of Mark Sanchez. If we get a smaller sample of his bag of tricks and more fundamentally sound playcalling like we saw against the Raiduhs, I think the Jets could still be a playoff contender.

#45 abyzmul, Oct 30, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

I couldnt possibly read more than two plays worth.......but I take my hat off to you for actually sitting down and doing this Abyz! Pssst, I may be time to thiunk about a piece of ass and put down the marker for a while...for your own good :)

7. abyzmul

Hehe, my chick definitely gave me a lot of shit the past 2 weeks for sitting there in front of the TV with a legal pad in one hand and a remote in the other. :smile:

8. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

First off - great job on the play breakdown, I appreciate the amount of work and effort it takes to do something like that.

As we all know , I've been one of Shotty's staunchest supporters , the last bolded section really sums up why I would like to see him given more time to truly run and perfect his offense . I know I've made a lot of defenses( read excuses by other) of his playcalling in general. To me the things any sucessfull coordinator needs is stability in the HC position/team philosophy and stability in the skill positions. The Jets really haven't had that over the past 4 years. I'd like to see this CS grow together and foster some consistency - something we haven't had in quite awhile.

9. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

Great piece of work!

Thanks !

:beer:

10. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

Wow, great work. The pictures are neat, but the writeup is whats really impressive. I know I learned a lot reading it.

One of the things that comes through loud and clear in your writup is the dissapointment in Keller. The "not trying." The bad blocking. Out-of sync with Sanchez.

Why do they play him so much? Seems like he was in there for most plays. From watching the game I got the feeling he was having a bad game, but now I am really dissapointed in him. Is there any hope for this guy?

11. Hobbes3259

Hobbes3259 Well-Known Member

As much as I hate Schotty's penchant for arrogance and too clever by halfness....

I hate him twice as much now. Looking back over the breakdowns, it should have been common f*ng sense that with the game on the line, late ...thumping Buffalo was the way to go. Jones...Greene....Greene...Jones...Leon...Greene..

Going in, you know Buffalo is light and quick on defense. That's a team you muscle it up against.

Especially with a Rookie QB on a Windy day...

I hope he's learned something.

12. abyzmul

I think there is a lot of hope for Keller. The Buffalo game was a pretty bad game for him, but all players have bad games. When he was catching passes from Favre, the guy played like an animal. Football players are people, they are not infallible. Leon even fell off in production this year before he got hurt.

Keller needs to spend a lot more time with Sanchez so they can sync up in clutch time, because a pass-catching, athletic TE is a young QB's best friend. If Sanchez can get on the same page with Keller and Edwards the same way he is with Cotch, our passing attack can be very dangerous, especially when you take into account the burgeoning power running game we have with a rotation of Greene in heavy yards and Jones in light yards.

13. Totodestroyer

Totodestroyer New Member

Much respect to thread starter. Didn't know you guys did this.

14. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

Good shit Byz. Real Good Shit. :up:

15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Wow Abyzmul this is amazing. Great job man.

16. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

when you said you had a thread planned for thursday i was thinking who plans when they are going to post a thread? but this thread really needed the planning. awesome stuff man. i was only able to look at the first half so far but i look forward to checking the rest of it out.

schotty really just can't help himself sometimes. it's like he is a mad scientist with all these formation shifts and stuff trying to come up with some great new medicine when all he needs is some penicillin.

17. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

How come all those posters from the "Other" faction are MIA?

GREAT THREAD....

18. Jet Blue

Jet Blue New Member

UMMMM, YEAH.

I don't post much, I probably set a record for posts in a week that week..

BUT COME ON!!!! RUN THE BALL....

People were trying to debate that with stuff like "You don't groom a rookie by handing off all day" or "You have to keep a defense honest at some point"..

Um, no you don't have to keep a defense honest when you can run it down their throat and you have a lead in bad weather with a rookie QB against a mediocre team with it's Backup QB.

19. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

You owe her big time!!:wink:

20. zoobooz

zoobooz Member

Awesome post, I definitely learned a little... I was really impressed with how you broke down the run plays. I came away with the same impression I did from the game though, and thing you alluded to; Sanchez was rattled with the wind and deep ball, stay away from it!

Crediting Schotty though, Sanchez had a lot of open dump-offs that he passed up on those big plays, too. Oh well, 'tis life with a rookie QB.