$10MM bonus for Lito in March? Go w/ Lowery

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GSourJr, Oct 29, 2009.

1. GSourJr

GSourJr New Member

In a Star Ledger article lauding Tannenbaum, there was this little budgetary nugget

"Also, Tannenbaum is staring at a $10 million roster bonus due Sheppard in March."

Given all the money the Jets need to pay out next year (see article below), Lito should not be a priority. He's been pretty good, but injury prone, and the fact is that Lowery is coming on and will be better provided the GM does the right thing and gets us better defensive linemen next year."

NY Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum has made savvy moves
    By Dave Hutchinson/The Star Ledger
    October 28, 2009, 1:43PM
    William Perlman/The Star-Ledger
    Linebacker Bart Scott has proven to be a good addition to the Jets.
    It's still early and the Jets will have to pay the bill down the road, but general manager Mike Tannenbaum is looking pretty savvy these days, especially for someone who was criticized for being just a salary cap guy and not having an eye for talent.
    First, Tannenbaum signed LB Bart Scott and S Jim Leonhard in free agency, a pair of home runs.
    Secondly, he traded up to get quarterback Mark Sanchez, getting him for a song and dance from his best pal, Browns coach Eric Mangini. Despite his up-and-down start, Sanchez has the look of the franchise quarterback the Jets thought he was.
    Thirdly, the Jets traded up to draft running back Shonn Greene in the third round. On Sunday, coach Rex Ryan revealed the Jets had given him a first-round grade. In addition to being the heir apparent to Thomas Jones, Greene has enough bounce to replace Leon Washington.
    Next, the general manager traded for Browns wide receiver Braylon Edwards, who looks like the big wide receiver the Jets have needed since the departure of Keyshawn Johnson. His legal troubles aren't expected to cause him to miss any time this season.
    Earlier, Tannenbaum traded for CB Lito Sheppard, a starter, though he's had trouble staying on the field. He has missed four of the first seven games with a quad injury.
    On the down side, Tannenbaum has traded away valuable draft picks in the Edwards and Sheppard deals, and he must pay Edwards, who is seeking $9 million per season. Edwards, though, will be a restricted free agent minus a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    Also, Tannenbaum is staring at a $10 million roster bonus due Sheppard in March.
    What's more, the GM has yet to pay Washington and has several core players nearing the end of their contracts, including Pro Bowl C Nick Mangold and LB David Harris.
    Finally, his decision to keep Kellen Clemens as the backup instead of signing a proven veteran is up for debate.
    Contrary to a report, the offer that Washington turned down from the Jets this offseason wasn't exactly for $5 million per season. It depends on your perspective.
    If the new money started in 2010, which the Jets wanted, the deal would've been worth $5 million per season with Washington paying for $535,000 this season.
    But the Washington camp wanted the new money to start this season, which would've drastically altered the average of the deal.
    It's easy to second-guess Washington's decision now that he's injured but this is his big chance, and perhaps only chance, at a blockbuster deal and for him to sign a deal he wasn't happy with -- and had to live with for the next four or five years -- would've been crazy.
    Sanchez, in the wake of him munching on a hot dog on the sideline during the Jets-Raiders game, has bought 500 hot dogs and 500 hamburgers and rolls and buns through the A&P supermarket and with donate them to the Community soup kitchen of Morristown. ...
    Practice notes: WR Jerricho Cotchery looked sharp in the portion of practice opened to the media. ... RB-turned-WR-turned-RB Danny Woodhead is working with the running backs. ... The Jets practiced indoors Wednesday instead of in a steady rain. ... CB Justin Miller is wearing No. 32.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, thats obvious.

3. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

No shit Sherlock.

4. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I think it's obvious Sheppard isn't going to see that 10 mill bonus... we'll let him hit FA and then re-sign him.
    As for Braylon, I don't think he gets the 9 mill he wants... I think he'll sign for about 7 plus some incentives to reach 8.

5. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Why re-sign Lito? We can sign air for free and it will do the same for us.

6. JETSFANNYC

JETSFANNYC New Member

Lito looked shakey in the preseason, but he'd been good during the regular season. Him not playing is a loss. Lowery can't be a number 2 corner in this system. Nickelback or backup saftey is the best role for him considering his skillset.

7. pats-hater

pats-hater Active Member

Lowery all the way. Lito looked good in the 35 minutes I saw him play but no dealio on the pay.

8. tishdog

tishdog New Member

Lowery and Strickland could easily fill in the role. Also maybe we could cut him and resign him if he gets limited interest from other teams.

9. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

10 million eh.....that's a million for every "illegal contact" flag thrown in his honor. :rolleyes:

10. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

I think the amount of time he's already been injured sealed his fate, but I wouldn't mind bringing him back in the off season once he realizes no one else wants to give him a fat contract either

11. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

This just in...

Tannenbaum signs all of the air in the tri state area.

12. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

You gotta be kidding me, this is news. Bye Bye Lito, great job once again by my man Mr. T.

13. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

The Eagles let Lito go for a reason. Duh.

But the second part about Lowery, the guy has one good game. I am not ready to jump on his bandwagon.

But, Strickland and Lowery together holding down that position? Let's see how that plays out the rest of the year, and we know the Jets should be drafting DL and possibly LB in the draft. Hopefully a CB will not have to be taken with a high pick.

In other words, if Lowery could get it done the rest of the year, that would be huge.

14. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Lowery is looking better and better every game. Hes willing to learn and put the effort in, 2010 , he will be our #2

15. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

In my humble opinion, Lowery will turn into a very decent starter.

16. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

theres no way in hell Lito gets it espically with the way Lowery been play

17. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Lowery generated a lot of hype going into last year. When the games were actually played, though, it was clear he had a ways to go.

He played well against the Raiders, a team with some issues in the passing game. I am not prepared to conclude he's the answer, short or long term. I sure hope so, though.

18. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Beat it Lito.
    As for Tannenbaum proving he knows talent by signing Scott and Leonard, wouldn't you say Rex would have a say in that?

19. JETSJetsJetsJets

JETSJetsJetsJets New Member

He's got a better chance of being hit by lightning then he does getting a 10,000,000 check...

20. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Lowery has had more than one good game, but he's had his share of bad ones too. He's inconsistent and doesn't have the speed of a top-flight CB. But I still have faith in him becoming a decent CB, with some experience.