Re: Leon Injury

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by yanks9596, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

OH come on.. I didn't bash on my first response... i almost avoided it on the 2nd one.. and in the third i said it... how unlucky am I!?!?

Ha, but now I'm going to play devils' advocate... maybe they inserted a rod just for the fun of it... or for a previous injury... :p

2. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

According to the AP L-Rod will make a full recovery.

"FLORHAM PARK, N.J. ? New York Jets running back Leon Washington has been placed on season-ending injured reserve after having surgery in which a rod was inserted into his broken right leg.
    Washington suffered a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula when an Oakland Raiders defender rolled up on his leg after a 6-yard run in the first quarter of the Jets' 38-0 win Sunday.
    He underwent a two-hour operation at Berkeley's Alta Bates Hospital shortly after the injury, and a rod was inserted into the tibia to stabilize the fracture. The team said doctors expect the fibula to heal on its own.
    Washington will remain in California for a few days, and could return home as soon as Wednesday. The team said it expects Washington to make a full recovery"

He didn't break it, just a fracture.

3. All Star

All Star Active Member

He's not saying the doctors are wrong, he's saying the reports are wrong.

Big Difference.

I hate this forum sometimes, a guy expresses his opinion (who is in fact in medical school) and gets called a vagina because he is assumed wrong and then the violation whores come out and say he should be banned for fake news and for making a new topic when the other one is at 100+ posts.....

4. mangoldman

mangoldman Member

Is there anyone who knows if this is a possibly a career ending injury? Ive been hearing reports of this.

5. MadBacker Prime

According to the Jets he will make a full recovery.

It will be a lengthy rehab though.

see here- http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/3359-washington-in-great-spirits-is-placed-on-ir

Leon Washington's season is over after the Jets placed their Pro Bowl running back/kick returner on injured reserve today by the Jets. But Washington, who underwent successful surgery on his broken right leg in Northern California on Sunday evening, is recovering well and is in an excellent frame of mind.
    "I talked to Leon last night and he was in great spirits," head coach Rex Ryan said at this afternoon's news conference the day after the Jets' 38-0 triumph over the Raiders. "He was just so happy for the team, raving about his teammates. Typical Leon fashion, no doubt.
    "I think all of our jobs got a little tougher with the loss of Leon. And he's a great teammate to boot. He's going to be lost for a while. Hopefully we can get him back in our locker room as fast as we can so he can be around."
    First, though, Washington has to be cleared to return from the sudden season-ending events of Sunday at Oakland.
    He suffered what was determined to be a compound fracture of the tibia and fibula, the two bones in his lower right leg, when he was tackled on his only carry of Sunday's 38-0 win over the Raiders. After the play, he was removed from the Oakland Coliseum field for X-rays, splinted, and taken to Alta Bates Hospital in nearby Berkeley, Calif.
    At the hospital he underwent two hours of surgery, performed by Drs. David Chang, Scott Taylor and Warren Strudwick, during which a rod was placed in the tibia to stabilize the fracture. The fibula will heal on its own.
    Dr. Ken Montgomery, the Jets' head team physician, and assistant athletic trainer Dave Zuffelato, remained with Washington for the surgery. Dr. Montgomery returned to New Jersey today. Washington will remain in California for a few days under the doctors' observation.
    Washington could be cleared to return as soon as Wednesday. Whenever he is cleared, he'll fly back east along with Zuffelato aboard Jets owner Woody Johnson's private plane.
    "We anticipate a full recovery," a team spokesman said. "Everything is going as well as we could hope at this point."
    But the spokesman said "It's too early to tell" when in 2010 that Washington will be able to resume football activity.
    But the Jets know two things: Washington won't be returning this season, one week after nose tackle Kris Jenkins suffered a season-ending ACL injury.
    "This is kind of going crazy the last two weeks," cornerback Darrelle Revis said on a conference call today. "Jenks is out and now Leon. These are two core, big-time players that we need throughout the season, but both of those guys are out now. We just have to figure out ways to win games and trust and believe the guys that are here and playing on the field."

#45 MadBacker Prime, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

A fracture is a break dude. Compound means the bone was sticking out of his skin.

7. MadBacker Prime

Yeah I know-

I was messing with the OP.

Since I jumped on him I figured it couldn't hurt at this point, lol

L-ROD was good though-

8. flajetfanson

flajetfanson New Member

Bump!!! give the doc his prop haters can I get you to work for the Knicks?

9. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Here's a fractured fibula with the tibia protruding.

Not for the squeemish....

I warned you..............

[​IMG]

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

You rub a little dirt on it and you get back in the huddle. Come on, girls, what's a little fracture here and there?

11. jessedog

jessedog New Member

Those compound fractures are fucked up. The center fielder on my son's baseball team ran into the left fielder on a fly ball and suffered a compound fracture when his cleats stuck in the ground. You could hear him screaming 4 fields away. 10 months later he is still limping....

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Hopefully Leon will get first class medical treatment... I didn't give a fuck when they said it was only the fibula... but after hearing he broke both I'm really upset.

All we can do is hope everything goes well but you never know how long it wiill take... although I'm faithful because some soccer players had this injury and came back 100% (although after a year).

13. desert swordz

desert swordz Totally Addicted

^^same here. hearing that it was the fibula, even though i thought it was bad but i could stomach it, but he in fact broke BOTH. fuck tommy kelly.

14. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

this is horrible news. Leon will be lucky to walk without a limp after 1yr of recovery. I would be absolutely shocked if he doesn't miss at least part if not the entire 2010 season.

15. 624

624 Banned

Props to the OP...

16. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

GDAMN he made a bad decision with his agent's advice.....JETS getting off scott free!(thank god)

I can just hear him and his agent talking before signing the contract...." YOU CANNOT GET INJURED THIS YEAR.....CANNOT!)

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Ouch... I just read on an article that for a total recalcification of the bone (in this particular injury at least) you have to wait 6-7 months!

They said the problem isn't so much the bone (which should heal 100%) but the possible damage of tissue/tendons/muscles ecc around the bone.

I think we'll be lucky to have him for week 1 next season...

18. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

an injury to a professional athlete and an injury to anyone else are totally different. leon doesn't have to go into work for 8 hours a day and try to deal with his leg. his job for the next year is to rehab his leg. i bet he is ready to go for the start of the season.

19. MadBacker Prime

That's what is being reported, being football ready in 2010.

He has until July/August, and with how they rehab these guys I don't think it will be a problem.

They'll probably use a hyperbolic chamber to speed up the healing.

20. concussion80

concussion80 New Member

I'll eat my crow with some BBQ sauce.

I got on the guys case because I have looked all over and found no video that could help one determine the extent of such an injury. Is there a slow motion closeup of the play from a different angle out there? Every video I have seen just shows 3 guys tackling Leon and one grabbing from behind and one piling on him late and then he rolls over in pain. No conclusive evidence at all of what type of injury occured.

We can be dicks to each other here, but that;s part of the fun I guess. I'm sure it will blow back my way one of these days.