Jets not putting Leon on IR just yet.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MParty7441, Oct 25, 2009.

1. HOI

HOI Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. But if TJ keeps his production anywhere near what its been the past few weeks...how the hell can you let him go next year?

2. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

Broken fibula is one of the easier leg bones to come back from breaking. It bears very little body weight, its a straight bone not needed for flexibility. Once it heals and he conditions it back into shape, he should be good to go.

3. mesheler

mesheler Member

This logic is spurious! The femur is NOT the Fibula. You cannot compare the two!

And the Doctors/posters who say "Oh, it's the smaller bone in the lower leg, no big deal..." Wake up!! The bone is responsible for supporting weight when one pivots off the heel. It supports the Achilles tendon. It enhances blood flow to foot and toes. It maintains structural integrity of the entire lower leg.

All these are very critical functions that must be 'tip-top' for a player to succeed.

That said, and as I alluded to on front page, no one has reported Washington is "out for the season." Broken Fibulae can heal in 4 - 6 weeks. His return to the Jets this season largely depends on conditioning and how well his bones heal. If he can keep the rest of his body in shape, he could return to the field by December.

It's a 'wait and see' scenario right now. If, repeat, IF he heals well, he could be back. Doctors cannot predict how a patient will heal. Some people do it quickly, others, not so much.

My point is, STOP comparing your personal injuries to Leon's and making ridiculous statements like:

"I broke my toe last week, and I only missed one day of work...Leon is a professional athlete, so he should be practicing by the time he gets back to New York!"

4. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

The Jets do not need to rush Leon back. If Greene can stay healthy and TJ and Greene can continue to produce, I think they will more than make up for his absecence. Wood head also needs to step up as he is now our third string TB.

Let the kid properly rehab his leg and come back next season......

5. mesheler

mesheler Member

UGH!! Thank you, Doctor. You need to go back to Medical School.

ACL = anterior cruciate ligament
    PCL = posterior cruciate ligament
    MCL = medial collateral ligament

The ACL and PCL are the two stabilizing ligaments on the INTERcapsular surface of the knee. These ligaments ensure proper alignment of the Tibia and the Femur. ACL injuries can cause you to "slip your knee" easily, and without the support, you could feasibly break EVERY bone in your leg with serious trauma.

Injuries to the PCL cause more strain on the Tibia, but for most non-athletes or more sedentary people, these are usually ignored as the Tibia can support the extra burden assuming healthy skeletal integrity. PCL injuries are very rare in sports, more likely the result of automobile accidents.

The MCL is responsible for stabilizing the knee. Without it, the whole joint can shift (think Scarecrow from Wizard of Oz -- upper and lower leg flopping side to side.) To say the MCL is somehow not as important to the structure and function of the knee as the ACL or PCL, as Dr. Mambo implied, is both irresponsible and moronic!

What I believe this poster is referring to is injuries to the lateral collateral ligament or LCL which are usually less serious and often go undetected unless there is another injury. Also, a tear of either meniscus will heal on its own without surgery once collagen promoting cells have deposited sufficient mass to support regrowth / repair of cartridge. Pain management is largely the most pressing issue in these injuries.

TAKE HOME MESSAGE: PLEASE STOP MAKING UNSUBSTANTIATED DECLARATIONS ABOUT THE LEG

#65 mesheler, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  6. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

[​IMG]

I think it was Woody who said he saw blood squirting out and knew he was done.

Definitely not career ending though.

They better off him a contract still!!

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Get better, Leon.

Glad the Jets still have Jones.

8. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

I never realized that we had so many MD's on the board.

9. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

darren sproles had a broken fibula, didn't end his career

10. cassie96

cassie96 Member

Really....no need to consult the National Library of Medicine website...just read all about it, right here on TGG!!! :rofl2:

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He broke his fibula. He had surgery. Hopefully he comes back for the playoffs. Meanwhile The Jets need to beat the dolphins on Sunday.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The LCL is the least important in general...

As for the MCL yes I was wrong in saying it was less important for what it's role is.
    What I meant is that it's less important in sports injuries.
    It takes a lot less time to heal (about 6 weeks, 90% you don't need surgery on it) so for an athlete it's less important of an injury than ACL (6 weeks against 6 months is a biggie).
    Also the role it has on the knee can succesfully be replaced by an external brace (unless you really fucked it up bad).

You talk pure medicine, I talk medicine applied to sport... of course if a guy like me or you breaks the MCL the doctor isn't going to make us wear a brace to make us go around and walk when it's not considered safe.
    But for an athlete if you tear/break the MCL you have the option of playing on it when it's still not fully healed thanks to an exterior support of the articulation (which cannot be done succesfully for ACL or PCL).

You like my answer better now?

PS In soccer guys break ligaments in the knee every time... I have a couple of weak ligaments myself. I'm not an MD but I know what ligament is important to the knee and which is less important when it comes to sports.

In case you don't believe me about the MCL go look at some of the articles about Merriman last year, he had the MCL and either the ACL or the PCL damaged, and they all kept saying the MCL wasn't the problem and that if you can deal with pain you can play through that injury.
    The problem is most of the times if you break the MCL something else got fucked up too.

#72 Mambo9, Oct 26, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  13. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Leon will be inactive

14. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think Shonn Greene will be very active now, so at least his in-activeness is over.

15. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

Leon is one of my favorite players and I want him here long term.....that being said he took his chances holding out on a contract and he knew the risks. He knows this is a business. He took a gamble and lost and we have to pay off? Then, in any future negotiations, the next guy will be thinking hes got nothing to lose. We have other people to resign and a salary cap. To me, 2 mil would be slap in the face. I might drop around the 4 -4.5 mark.

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

So you're saying it is a smaller bone that has to bear the full body weight in acute situations, most notably cuts performed by a RB? And that is in no way comparable to another leg bone that must bear a full half-load at most given times? OK.

Then you go on to agree with my earlier post completely, so I guess I wasn't that far off after all. You have some sort of medical training?

17. mesheler

mesheler Member

No, no I am not. I never said that at all...

Didn't say that either, but I do agree from a stress AND strain POV. The 'load' may be similar, but the density and torque applied -- to name only 2 variables -- is completely different in the two regions.

I do not agree with the comment you made regarding the comparison of a broken fibula to your femur injury. I hope you can, at least, see this point I am repeating for you.

Try to pay attention to the words I use instead of twisting them into bogus conclusions that do not resemble anything I said. Your ruse is an asinine attempt to put yourself in the same sentence with Leon Washington.

I'm sorry you feel the need for attention.

Why, do you need a consult on your broken ego?

18. mesheler

mesheler Member

Dr Mambo,

I apologize for calling you out on this one. I am frustrated with what seems like an entire board of folks claiming the sky is falling based on limited information and speculation ranging from knee braces to leg amputations. It was wrong of me to take it all out on you; I am sorry.

I do believe we need to wait and see what the doctors who have examined him say before we jump to conclusions...

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Hey guys, a little disturbing but I rewatched the injury and you can hear a distinct SNAP that is not the sound of equipment..

I played it back a few times and it happens EXACTLY when the leg is underneath....

a little sickening.

20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Don't worry man... I didn't explain myself well and you just called me out/corrected me (which you have every right to do) and didn't insult me or anything ;).

I agree, let's wait and see what the doctros tell us... and cross fingers Leon will get back to his usual self.