Dolphins @ Jets - Stop the Wildcat, Stop the Dolphins

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by gustoonarmy, Oct 26, 2009.

1. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Last time we played the Phins, I think there was alot of unfair critism that Miami runs the wildcat as some type of gimmick play, and its a cheap way of playing football.

Huh? If it wins you games, why the hell why wouldn't any team want to run it? the answer is pretty simple, others have tried and failed. Miami have this formation down to a fine art with a good mobile O line and 2 HBs that are very comfortable in their role.
    Ricky Williams has been re-born in this role, who would have thougt when he trudged off to Canada we would ever see him back in the NFL, let alone paying the way he has been in the last few weeks.

Ok, thats enough of sucking the fishy cock. Last meeting at the embarrassingly named Landshark Stadium we got romped over....easily. Our much vaunted D simply didn't have any answer to the Wildcat, and Ryan's face on the sideline mirrored what was happening on the field , disbelief.
    Losing Mr Jenks is a huge loss, quite literally, but what we saw from the Raiders game has given me fresh belief that now other players will have to step up and not be so reliant on the big man. Which IMO some players have been guilty of.
    So how does this impact the Phins game? The last time we played, it looked like we over-pursued into the backfield creating gaps which then created the running lanes, the rest we all know...So with Jenks gone and those huge holes and double teams he draws the Miami line should be alot more congested at the LOS, and the time needed for the holes to develop will help the LBs and ends to influence where the HBs go.

If they can't run the wildcat and we can force Henne to throw we have a really good shot of running up a decent score.
    With Lito Sheppard and Donald Strickland both back next game, things in the secondary look good.
    This time we also have Pace, but maybe no Ellis?
    On Offense we should get our first look at Jerricho Cotchery and Edwards together too :up:

:jets:

2. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

This line just made me be a little bit sick :(

3. HOI

HOI Active Member

The Saints did a good job slowing it down in the 2nd half. I didnt see the game but my buddy (a Fish fan) said the Saints started blitzing their corners and it was pretty effective. When you have Sharper roaming around back there you can get away with that.

Any thoughts on using that approach this week? We're gonna have to come up with something without Jenks.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

The Phish's d got exposed yeaterday...:finssuck::finssuck::finssuck:

5. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

If the Dolphs are in the wildcat, I would like to see the D cover the wr's one on one with everyone else on D near the line of scrimage, filling in all the gaps. Jets should be able to cover WR's one on one with a RB having the ball.

6. Scoffaveli3

Scoffaveli3 Banned

if i were the jets i'd leave fasano and ginn uncovered because they can't catch shit

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The Dolphins biggest weakness is their pass defense. Throw the ball early and establish a lead and let them run the wildcat from behind all night. If we try and run with them we lose and if we take the air out of the ball to keep it close we play into their strength.

Big weak for Sanchez.

8. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

HUGE TEST for our run defense this week......after watching them give up 6 yards a carry to Huggy Bear Fargas yesterday, I can't say i'm not a tad worried.

Our own run game will have to sustain long drives to keep Henne and his two wildcat faggots off the field....if we're gonna have a chance to win.

Sidenote: speaking of Miami...nice choke job yesterday...giving up a 24-3 lead....bwahahaha!!

9. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

You have to tackle the ball carrier. The Jets should have beaten the dolphins in the first meeting (after all the Jets led until 4 seconds left in the game) and would have beaten them if the Jets had tackled better. The Wildcat is not some radical new offense. Its old time smashmouth football and the Dolphins do a good job with it.

10. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

I think that Calvin Pace is warmed up now he'll have a much bigger impact.

He looked great yesterday.

11. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

our tackling was horrendous last time. now with jenkins out it has a chance to be even more so. maybe we should switch to a 4-3 base with jenks out.

12. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I have no idea how Rex plans to deal with Miami's offense. Thankfully I'm not a coach. I really think that Miami is just going to score a lot of points and we'll just have to outscore them. I don't think its going to be a 10-7 final score. I agree that we'd be better off defending the run and making Henne beat us. Some INTs are bound to happen. This is an example of a game where Rex will have to earn his keep. This type of game is why we hired him.

13. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

maybe consistently put rhodes up at the line to blitz or help stop the run, which is what he does well. you can leave revis on an island, and after yesterday's good game, maybe lowery too.

14. bojanglesman

bojanglesman Active Member

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe Pace could have a better time rushing. Hell, maybe even the Ghost could get into the game. OK nevermind.

15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Didn't we have some success against the wildcat when we ran our version of the old "46" against it?? There's more and more film each week and Ryan/Pettine will find a way to slow it down. Schotts can't get crazy this week and get away from the run too far. Perhaps we can get a hotdog guy from manhattan on the sidelines for Sanchez too.. :)

16. MadBacker Prime

We basically are, we run a offset 3-4.

More then half the time our defense shows a 4-3 front.

One of the LB's usually end up down on the line. We need Scott and Harris in there for every play.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I really don't see how we are going to stop the wildcat. Hopefully Rex can dream some scheme up, but everyone says it's really just about winning individual match-ups when facing the WC. I fear another miserable week.

18. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

This is a lot easier said than done.

I'm not really confident in this game. Mostly because they will try to run it down our throats again. Having said that, if there's just but a few men in the NFL that can develop a scheme to contain the WC, and Rex Ryan could very be one of them. I hope he can come up with something this week.

It all comes down to matching the personnel they have on the field when they run it. I hope our team comes out fired up. The home crowd should also be loud as hell from beginning to end to throw R&R off on those WC snaps. It's gonna be tough.

19. MadBacker Prime

Rex needs to make another call, I'm going to tweet the Jets about this.

The crowd has been lackluster at best, we need that Patsie game enthusiasm to make it tough for Henne out there.

20. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

saints couldn't stop it. and i doubt sanchez will make the game winning drives that brees did in order for the saints to win