Jets not putting Leon on IR just yet.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MParty7441, Oct 25, 2009.

1. All Star

All Star Active Member

I don't want him back this year.

No need to rush.

I want him back 100% next year.

2. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

No it isn't damn it... when you break a bone it actually gets stronger when it sticks back together!

The worst injuries are ligaments and tendins (not sure how to spell it in english) because everytime they break they loose resitance and they don't keep stuff toghether as well as they should (because that's what they do, they keep the bones and the muscles attached or they keep the articulations together).

the only serious bone injuries are when a bone brakes in like 3-4 or more pieces (see Doohan the motorcycle racer) or when most of the weight rests on that bone (like the phemur).

the Tibia and the fibula share the weight and most of it goes on the tibia so it's no biggie if you break a fibula in 2 pieces.

When you tear the Achillon or patellar tendon now that's a lot worse... same for the injury Jenkins had (both the anterior and the cruciate ligaments are very important, the MCL not so much).

SO EVERYONE WHO FEELS LW INJURY IS CAREER THREATENING SHUT UP PLEASE.

the only way he is done playing is because of a very very very very serious infection but I doubt it since he had treatment straight away.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

The way you described it he broke the Tibia as well... that is a lot worse...

4. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

You might think that, but its actually much, much easier to come back from than any sort of ligament damage. The bones gotta fuse back up and he'll be right back to the way things were.

Depending on where the break was and how he responds, it's very possible that he could be back before the end of the regular season, the question is can the Jets afford to keep him on the roster all that time.

5. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

go look at the context of the post man. it had been stated that it was a small bone in the foot. it is a pretty big bone compared to anything in the foot.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

edit: err - missed a bunch of posts - already noted.

7. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

It was TO with the Eagles during the Super Bowl year

8. Salz

Salz New Member

broken bones are better than torn ligaments.

9. wildaces

wildaces Banned

I am quite surprised that he had a compound fracture of the fibula, and didn't hurt his tibula. Especially watching the game, you could see the break happen. Looked like he broke both bones.

10. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

As far as long term effects, breaking a bone, whatever bone, is MUCH more favorable than tearing a ligament. Between a shin and a knee, every player in the NFL will take the shin. Bones heal themselves, ligaments and tendons don't.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

OK, soo the Fibula is the more major of the 2 bones in the lower leg; the other bone is the tibia. as someone mentioned above, the fibula is essentially the shin bone.

The reson for the immediate surgery is likely that it was a compound fracture in that the bone was protruding through the skin. This requires immediate attention; that is why Leon is probably going to remain in Oaklend a couple more games.

The good news if there is such a thing is that it was a leg bone and not a massive tearing of knee ligamens. Leon should be able to make a 100% recovery with proper re-hab and be as good as always was.

I am very happy to see Shawn Greene step up and give a great performance today in the wake of Leon's injury. That takes a lot of a person after seeing a person you respect a lot go down with a sever injury.

It would seem like our running game is not going to suffere greatly, but we may not be as good or as consistent on kick-off returns. That is something that could directly factor in going forward.

Lastly, and this is why as said this when the last offer was tendered to LEon; he should take it because days like today happen. It will be somewhat interested to see how Tannenbaum handles this. I think first I would say anything to anybody untio i had a very thorough meeting with the treating doctor. I would want a full briefing on what happened and what was done to fix it. How long the best case scenario woud be for full rcovery. And assuming that when Leon attains full recovery is there anything to be cautious of on Leon being just as good as he was before. Assuming that conversation goes wel, then I weoudl leave the current off on the table. I think it would ne as bad strategy move to use what has happened too gain leverage to loewer the offer or even take it off the table for a while. Unless ther was a professional opinion which wouldd suggest that Leon may not be what he was due to the injury now, I really doubt that is the case.

12. Mallford

Mallford Member

Although this is a horrible way too look at it, I really feel for the guy and he is one of my favorite Jets but.......:shit:

Call me a heartless bastard, but he just got A LOT cheaper to resign.

In terms of this year it really sucks, but in the long run this may mean we get to see Neon Leon in green for a long time.

Another bright side is the game that Greene has, along with Woodhead getting some time, although they need to get him out of that #83, it doesn't look right at all on him. Hope the surgery went well.

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'd hardly call it heartless. We all love Leon but there also is the business side of this. He knew the risk when he walked away from the Jets offer. That falls on him.

14. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

for some reason, i remember donovan mcnabb also had a broken fib and came back 6 the same season.
    looked it up, in '02 he broke his leg with 6 games left in the regular season, and came back for the playoffs.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

At the moment the Jets have no talent to justify losing Washington for the year. I'm sure if they acquire an NFL player to activate somehow they'll IR Leon.

16. denw1973

denw1973 New Member

1) the fibula IS NOT the shin bone. The tibia is the shinbone. And anytime surgery is necessary for a fracture, it will take longer to recover.

2) I think our special teams will be fine and our running game was not lacking tonight. Granted, it was the Raiders, but we also racked up 300 yds last week against the Bills.

17. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Career over ? What are you crazy? He'll need to rehab it but he will be back 100% next season. Big Loss, but we have to overcome it and i think Greene will show us what he's made of, an so far so good.

18. JetLagInCa

JetLagInCa Active Member

The surgery was to reset the bone
    A compound fracture only means the bone was exposed through the epidermis (skin)
    A compound fracture means the risk for infection is extremely high. A bone infection can ultimately lead to the loss of the limb... BUT ONLY IF NOT TREATED.
    He'll be fine, placed on IR by Monday, resigned with a pay increase not as large as he'd like (no pay increases are as large as they like), and our 3rd back will more than handle the load.
    Thank you.

19. blackbusiness

blackbusiness New Member

20. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

I believe this is what will happen. Once the doctors says Leon will be OK, the Jets will offer the same deal they did before the injury and Leon will take it. Using the injury as a reason to lower the offfer, when the injury occurred for the team (not some off-field incident) would be very bad form and would risk the team's reputation. Either they sign hiim to their last offer, or they him go completely. I would bet a lot that they sign him. I wonder whether there is now more of chance that they keep Jones also.