Jets not putting Leon on IR just yet.....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MParty7441, Oct 25, 2009.

1. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Since these guys get the best care and it is repaired so quickly, he has a shot to return late on the year. I just don't see this team making the playoffs with jenx and LW out all year.

2. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Google:Fibula

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

everyone please feel free to correct me if i am wrong, but i believe with the broken fibula, Leon will be off that leg for the 6-8 weeks in a cast, and as a result will almost definately not be in game shape for probably another 3 weeks to a month which if it takes full time, that is 11 weeks, which means over estimate and say 3 months which is approximately the week of the AFCCG if memory serves.

Oh if we make it to the AFCCG without Leon and Jenks not only will I be shocked, but I would probably rather play without Leon because our offense is obviously clicking with the ground game without him. Putting him back in the mix could throw everything out of whack...

4. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

A broken femur is a much more serious injury than a broken fibula. The femur is a much more weight-bearing bone.

5. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He could return this season. Have to see how the surgery & rehab go. Best of luck Leon.

6. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

[​IMG]

The arrows show the fibula with a plate and some screws attached

7. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

I don't think that is entirely correct. I believe it's 6 weeks in a cast. More likely two months out. He'll probably be back by playoffs.

8. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

That's the tibia.

9. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

The femur is much, much worse and would be closer to six months out.

10. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

I'm getting a kick out of all the doctors's in this thread....

So I was right... both TO and Vick broke their legs and played later in the season. It's not the end of the world. ESPN in their quest to be 1st often times in wrong and in this case Schefter apears to have jumped the gun in it being an end of the season apparently w/o speaking to a member of the Jets.

11. 73klecko

73klecko Member

the difference in those other injuries is this is reportedly a compound fracture...more serious.

12. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

It wouldn't be worth the risk. If he hasn't played in the last 6-8 weeks he would not be in shape and could end up with other injuries. If we can get that far with our backups, they deserve to be playing in that game.

13. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

OK, this is for those who are struggling a bit....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. cassie96

cassie96 Member

What makes the injury more "serious" is that the bone was exposed thru' his skin, on the football field. All kinds of dirt can get into your leg, when the bone is sticking out.

That is why he had to stay in Oakland and get into the operating room right away...so that they could clean out his open wound.

His main problem is infection...and then letting the bone heal.

Hopefully, Leon will heal quickly and be good to go soon! :up:

15. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

just to hear that he could come back this season is quite encouraging!!

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Right, and this underscores my point. If I can completely come back from a broken femur in 90 days or less, then there is no reason a professional athlete can't come back from a lesser injury in a shorter period of time.

17. barkus

barkus Well-Known Member

yep, the bone pierced the skin. There is very high risk for infection and until they do the surgery they won't know what kind of muscle and/or ligament injuries also occurred. Hopefully he'll be ok, but this is a VERY serious injury for RB, esp one like leon who depends a lot on quick cuts.

18. cassie96

cassie96 Member

Perfect pics!!! :beer::up:

19. HOI

HOI Active Member

Im not a doctor and I'm not pretending to be one but Im only speaking from what I've seen...

When I was a kid my father broke the same bone and it actually busted through the skin...pretty horrific. I remember him laying flat on his back with his leg straight and his heel and toes where touching the ground at the same time. He had to get screws/plates and was in a hard cast for a 5 weeks and a walking boot for another 5. Followed by tons of painful rehab.

Of course my father wasnt a world class athlete nor did he have the best doctors in the world but it was about 6-8 months before he was anywhere close to normal again.

20. dainfamusgc

dainfamusgc Active Member

not playing doctor here...but i went through it this summer and heard all the different things from the doctors.