Woodhead practicing as a WR - UPDATE: ADDED TO ACTIVE ROSTER

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Drew, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Wah

Wah Well-Known Member

thanks for the laugh.

2. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

The new Chrebet in the making.

3. flgreen

flgreen New Member

Of course your 100% correct, but look at all the posts that continue to pop up every time his name is mentioned criticizing him because he?s white.

I guess that?s not racist because most of the people criticizing are white. That?s just stupid

4. 624

624 Banned

Maybe we switch to 3 QBs? Mangini did like Clemens....

5. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Comparing him to Chrebet is an insult.:mad:

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Haha well you missed out on the rest of that sentence, a true gem

I know you are going to come back and say you were only talking about potential, but Steve Smith is a top 5 WR in the NFL. Justin Miller had great potential too, and better measurables than 90% of the league, doesn't mean shit.

#106 Steve032, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i dont think anyone is criticizing him because he is white, they are criticizing him because he is a rb who just switched to wr and has marginal nfl talent and 20 people on the board are so fired up about him that there is a 6 page post about how awesome it is.

it reminds me of the early 90s when every single black qb coming out of college was the next randall cunningham whether their skill set was cunningham or elway. its not a matter of racism its a matter of similarities.

the fact that a bunch of fat white guys are rooting so hard and have such man love for a short white guy isnt racist either its them seeing a little bit of themselves or the kid down the street or their kid working hard and doing well at something they love too much. the same as they should have seen with chansi stuckey. but maybe we havent quite subconsciously gotten to that point yet. :)

8. ........

........ Trolls

Could we please wait until we see him against 1st team NFL defenses before we crown him? This is exactly what I'm talking about. Dreaming about him being the most productive slot receiver in the NFL in two or three years? I hope he's successful. I hope he rounds into a good slot receiver if we're going to move him. However, what exactly are you judging all of this potential on? The way he's looked against backups and camp fodder? Division II competition? We have NO CLUE how he's going to perform tomorrow or ever in the NFL. All we have is hope and measurables. So, you'll have to forgive us if some of us have the former but like to poke fun at the latter.

BTW, Steve Smith of the Panthers has 2 inches on Woodhead and considerable leaping ability. I can't say I've ever seen Woodhead jump for a ball. Apparently you have if you're so willing to compare the two. As far as Johnny Knox, he's got a full 5 inches on Woodhead. Both of those players play outside because they can match up with corners. Woodhead would be outmatched size-wise by any corner in the league. I'm all for trying him out against linebackers in the slot, but comparing him to those two is absurd.

9. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

Hilarious. So a guy who's never played receiver in his life should be compared to one of the best receivers in the NFL and anything less is just an insult to his skill set. WTF is this clown on?

10. ........

........ Trolls

We can dream, right? :smile:

11. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

See, you just cannot say that like it is true. From a measurements standpoint he has SUPERIOR NFL talent. The real knocks are transition form Division II to the NFL and concerns on durability.

12. ........

........ Trolls

What the crap? Height is a part of a player's measurables. How can you say being 5'7" makes him a SUPERIOR NFL talent? How many 5'7" receivers can you think of? I got Dante Hall. That's about it. There are other guys who are fast and shifty with better height. I even looked up his vertical. 38" at his pro day, refused to do it at the combine. That's solid, but Steve Smith (again, gotta go back to that hilarious comparison) has a 43 inch vertical. That's an additional 7 inches (adding his 2 inch height advantage) of potential playing height. As far as the fact that he's a bit heavier that those other players, that's great for a RB, but doesn't do him nearly as much good as a receiver, slot or no.

You guys need to face it. He's battling an uphill slope. OBVIOUSLY, everyone wants him to succeed, but I'm tired of the people who keep acting like he's a proven commodity or somehow the greatest prospect in NFL history.

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

I really don't know why Tannenbaum traded for Braylon Edwards. He had what ails the Jets offense on the practice squad. That otherworldly superior NFL talent in Danny Woodhead. It is a complete insult to Mr. Woodhead to even compare him to a busted slot receiver like Chrebet or Welker. Shit he is more like in the company of Steve Smith or Jerry Rice.

I would love to see Woodhead grow a beard so he can be compared to Jesus.

14. BonScott

BonScott Active Member

I don't expect much from Woodhead, but we started the season dangerously thin at WR and with Cotch and BSmith nicked up??? I like that Rex and Tanny are looking at a guy in house who can help the team.

15. ........

........ Trolls

Yep, and that's exactly how everyone should feel. He's a good project who could turn into a decent slot receiver and he's got that Muggsy Bogues "little guy plays big" thing going for him.

16. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

comparing woodhead to chrebet is like when they called harold miner baby jordan

17. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

The NFL lists Woodhead as 5'9" which would be the same height as Welker. It's not always prudent to trust heights and weights.

I, too, was trying to think of undersized receivers tonight. Drew Hill, Clarence Weathers, Isaac Hagins (starter for '79 Bucs team which went to NFC Championship Game), and Ernest Givins are some notables who listed at 5'9".

Here are WRs who listed as 5'8" or shorter:
    Gerald (Ice Cube) McNeil, 5'7", 145
    1986-89 Browns, 1990 Oilers, 29 career catches

Richard Johnson, 5'7", 182
    1987 Redskins, 1989-90 Lions, had 134 catches for 1818 yards and 14 touchdowns in 32 games with Lions

Clarence Verdin, 5'8", 160
    1986-87 Redskins, 1988-93 Colts, 1994 Falcons

Lionel (Little Train) James, 5'6", 171
    1984-89 Chargers; he saw more time at RB during his career, but in 1987 he started 11 of the 12 non-strike games at the wide receiver position and caught 41 passes for 593 yards

Jack Jackson, 5'8", 174
    1996 Bears, 12 games, 4 catches

Willie Drewrey, 5'7", 184
    1985-88 and 1993 Oilers, 1989-92 Bucs, 106 career receptions

Wane McGarity, 5'8", 197
    1999-2001 Cowboys, 2001 Saints, 31 career games, 39 receptions

Alvin Garrett, 5'7", 178
    1980-81 Giants, 1981-84 Redskins, 2 career regular season touchdowns, 5 touchdowns in 1982 postseason

18. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Hah, I was just thinking about bogues as I was reading this thread. I think that's probably the most apt comparison made thusfar, though to be fair, Bogues had a successful career in the NBA and so far Woodhead has not played a game.

I think it's exactly the same kind of phenomenon though. It was easy to root for Bogues because he was such an unlikely guy to be as successful as he was. It's just as easy to root for Woodhead to do well. I don't think anyone thought he would get any PT this season, and suddenly it looks like we might get the chance to see him on the field. I can't help but root for the guy because I'm one of those people that always likes to see the darkhorse, underdog guy make an impact, and I imagine that a lot of people are like that.

It's all good to have high hopes for the guy, but anyone trying to make assumptions about how good he'll actually turn out to be - or how bad for that matter - are just wasting their breath. You don't have a crystal ball. Nobody knows what the kid will do - or if he'll play. Let's take a chill pill till tomorrow and see what happens...

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

re: 117

Also,
    Leo Lewis, 5'8", 170
    1981-89 and 1990-91 Vikings, 1990 Browns

Jermaine Lewis, 5'7", 183
    1996-2001 Ravens, 2002 Texans, 2003-04 Jaguars

Michael Lewis, 5'8", 165
    2001-06 Saints, 2007 49ers

J.J. Moses, 5'6", 178
    2002 Packers, 2003-04 Texans, 2005 Cardinals, strictly a returner

Both Mel Grays were 5'9". The Cardinals one from the 1970s was a very good receiver. The one who was a top kick returner in the 1980s and 1990s wasn't much of a receiver.

20. ........

........ Trolls

I was going off his listed height on our official team site, which is 5'7". I figured they would know best how tall the kid is.

As far as the other receivers, thank you. The only ones who was immediately recognizable was Richard Johnson, and only because I had a friend in elementary school whose family was from Detroit, and the two Lewises. Again, there's not a lot of precedence for his success. I'm pulling for the kid, but the people who insist he's destined for greatness are talking out of their ass.

As I told Mack earlier, I really like the kid, but some people make that difficult when they go so damned over the top.