Woodhead practicing as a WR - UPDATE: ADDED TO ACTIVE ROSTER

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Drew, Oct 15, 2009.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

BobGlauber DT Howard Green. RT @Steiny31 @BobGlauber The Jets have added Danny Woodhead to the active roster today. Who did they release?half a minute ago from TinyTwitter

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Adam_Schefter Jets have signed RB Danny Woodhead to the active roster from the practice squad and have released DT Howard Green.

3. jetsyankeesfan6

jetsyankeesfan6 New Member

He'll be on the depth chart after Wright correct? I'm guessing we're going to see a few screens to Woodhead. It would be great if he could prove himself at the WR position. Having a guy that versatile will give the CS a stronger reason to keep him on the active roster.

4. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

I don't like the release of Howard Green. We need all the NT depth we can get

5. ........

........ Trolls

This could be a genius move. Line up Woodhead directly behind Edwards, have him shadow his route for 2 seconds and then pop out on his own. Opposing defenses will think it's just an errant leprechaun and run the other way.

Alternatively, we could "plant him" on the line of scrimmage as a garden gnome and then have him release as a safety valve.

Either way, I'm predicting 300 yards and 6 TDs if Woodhead is used properly.

6. ........

........ Trolls

I'm having a tough time seeing us keep 6 WRs on the active roster for the remainder of the season. If Woodhead does establish himself well, it makes him unlikely to find his way back onto the PS and ties us up in a way. The best thing would be to keep developing him this season and use him as a 5th receiver next season. I'm not doubting his ability, but it does put us in a tough position if he earns a permanent spot on the roster immediately.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

this is so true and really makes you wonder why exactly so many people are so adamant about him, and pulling so hard for him. maybe its because they think he represents them or something. but he would have to be a fat white guy in order for that to work.

8. ........

........ Trolls

Ahahaha...I usually hate your posts, but this was hilarious. And true.

9. biggundewayne63

biggundewayne63 Active Member

dont forget about the d lineman who did backflips

10. Lamb Jones

Lamb Jones New Member

When I was rooting for Jerry Cooney, I was a racist. I thought I was just another Irishman rooting for another one. Never understood how black people can root for theyr're guy and it's called black pride, I do it and I'm a racist. Don't know anything about this Woodhead character, but if he's anygood I want him on the team. If he sucks I want him off. Cant stand this double standard bullshit.

#90 Lamb Jones, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  11. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Glad to see Woodhead get a shot.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

huh?

just forget about what color he is and worry about what color he wears.

13. ........

........ Trolls

^What WSW said. It's not racist to root for Danny Woodhead. It's just silly that he's inspired such a drastic emotional response from his supporters. Not because he's white, but because he's completely unproven.

14. ........

........ Trolls

How long until someone starts a Black or White thread for Danny Woodhead? Where's biggundewayne, anyway?

15. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Great White Hope?

or

The Great White Hype?

16. Lamb Jones

Lamb Jones New Member

Maybe I worded it wrong but that's what I was trying to say

17. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

The skepticism expressed by some here regarding the prospects of Woodhead succeeding as a slot receiver are truly laughable. While it is is true that the experiment may not ultimately work out, there are more reasons to believe that it will. First of all, while he is short there have been a great number of highly successful short WRs in the NFL. At 195 lbs, however, he is heavier and physically stronger that a great number of receivers currently on NFL rosters. Wayne Chrebet was short, small and slow but he had very good hands, was fearless, tough, had quick feet, ran excellent routes and was exceptional in finding the soft spots in zone coverage. Wouldhead would not be playing the role of Welker on the scout team if he was unable to reasonably mimic Welker's short route running ability, otherwise there would be no point whatsoever in him doing so. The fact is that Woodhead is at least ten pounds bigger than Chrebet was, stronger and about 3/10s of a second faster. He already has good hands, is an exceptional leaper and is not afraid of contact.

In my mind, the comparisons to Welker and Chrebet are an insult to Woodhead's enormous potential whose measurables I equate more with Carolina's Steve Smith than the the other two previously mentioned.

Woodhead is a hard working bright kid and there is no limit to his potential. I sincerely believe he has all the tools to be the most dangerous and productive slot receiver in the NFL in two or three years provided he is given the chance to develop and his progress is not derailed by injury. He has the same speed as DeSean Jackson and Johnny Knox but weighs 20 and 10 pounds more than they do respectively. And the combination of his speed, elusiveness, agility and the ability to explode in and out of his cuts make him a potential home run threat everytime he touches the ball in the open field.

He may not see the field tomorrow but I have no doubt as to his ability, desired and toughness. Quite frankly, I will be far more surprised if he does not succeed than if he fails.

18. WhiteShoeWillis

I was hearing you until you said comparing
    woodhead to Chrebet was an insult to woodhead. Then I stopped reading. I'm insulted by your post.

#98 WhiteShoeWillis, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  19. hazmat

hazmat New Member

He's been playing wr for 4 weeks and he says it's an insult to compare him to Chrebet.

20. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

I'll have some of whatever you're smoking.