URFA vs low round picks...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I was asking myself if Tanny's aggresive dealing of low round picks is a good or a bad thing.

Sure, getting starters in exchange of multiple low round picks is very useful but many fear that in the long run depth may become an issue.
    For this reason I've decided to take a look at our roster and see how many of the players we have were drafted in the 5th round or below (not necesserily by us) and how many URFA (again, not necesserily taken by us).

The result is... 17 URFA against 2 drafted in the 5th round and 3 in the sixth... that makes it 17 against 5!

Consider also that the 5 drafted players are Ainge, Clowney, Coleman, Slauson and Dearth, while among the URFA we count Richardson, Moore, DeVito, Douglas, Scott, Westerman, Leonhard, Feely.

Consider also that in the trades for Sanchez and Edwards we gave away 1 guy drafted in rd 7 and 3 URFA.

All in all it seems like Tanny's method isn't that bad. Giving away low round picks, while also allowing us to bring in some big names or to trade up, mkes our team more attractive for URFA so we get to choose amongst the most talented. Bringing in a good number every year we are always able to find a guy or two that sticks with the team.

I'm not saying low round picks are useless... only that with a good scouting team it's possible to find a lot of talent that has been overlooked in the draft.

2. 624

624 Banned

Good points, I like Tanny grabbing the guys he wants aggressively in the draft and then filling the other holes in FA. It makes draft day a little boring after our 1-2 trades a year but oh well, I think it's good for the team.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

did you mean UDFA? Not URFA?

4. The_W

The_W Banned

WTF is an URFA?

5. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Unrestricted Rookie Free Agent, same thing as a UDFA... I'm sure I heard someone on NFL network use this term...

6. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I like low round picks to be selected on players who would be rated higher if they didn't have an injury in college (Chansi stuckey) or get me a kicker or punter. Why not draft a 12 year punter in round 5 instead of a ST guy who gets cut after his 4 year contract?

the Jets need a 5th round punter anyway.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Ah, I think a UDFA becomes a URFA once the season starts?

8. The_W

The_W Banned

Oh, my bad. Never heard that one before. Only seen UnDrafted Free Agent

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Unrestricted Rookie Free Agents? That's the first time I heard it and the Network most likely made a mistake. URFA stands for UnRestrcited Free Agents, once their contracts expire that is. The proper word is UDFA, UnDrafted Free Agents. I knew thats what you meant though :lol:

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Im pretty sure Network made a mistake.

11. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Im gonna EDIT ur sig...

RaiderJeux says: Jets have a better chance of going 3-13 than the Raiders.

Well thats cuz Raiders aren't gonna reach 3 wins ... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. Brien O'Ken

Brien O'Ken Member

I think Tanny sometimes gets flak for dealing away draft picks, but when you commpare it to what beli-cheat has done the past few years - the pats have stockpiled tons of draft picks, nearly none of whom has panned out to become an impact player (or frequently even made the team), while the Jets have targeted their players, traded picks to get them, and as a result of those trades, we can thank Tanny for Edwards, Sanchez, Greene, Shepperd, Keller, Jenkins, Revis, and Harris (all of whom resulted from giving up picks).

13. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

dont forget O'Connell if you want to thank tanny for him anyways...

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

That's probably it.. thanks for clarifying that :D

15. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

The biggest problem that I have seen with this strategy is that we have yet to bring in any offensive lineman who have stuck with the team for more than 2 seasons in Tanny's 2 late-round draft picks or the multiple UDFAs we've brought in.

16. PinPointPenning10

PinPointPenning10 Well-Known Member

Good post Mambo. I think once you finish round four, the draft becomes a near-crapshoot; guys predicted to be UDFA can go in round 5-7, guys projected to go in round five often go undrafted. And there's probably not that much different in talent between a round five pick and a udfa, other than "intangibles." Therefore, I also agree with Tanny's methods. You have just as good a chance of finding a gem, or at least a quality player, out of the udfa class than you do in rounds 5-7.

17. KleckoNamathToon

Good call. When considering the draft we have to look at who we pick up later as well. Tanny and crew have done a good job at this. I too get annoyed with the trading away of all the picks, but in reality, I think it is because I enjoy the draft so much I want to see the Jets pick a lot for the entertainment factor alone.

Also, as for OL, we have drafted some who haven't worked out but found keepers in Turner and Hunter. I still think we are weak at OT depth, but I think we are good on the interior.

In short, so far Tanny's approach of using multiple picks to target and get the guy he most wants has greatly improved our starting line up while his ability to identify and sign undrafted players has kept our depth reasonable.

One other thing, often depth is a factor of coaching. Has anyone notice how much Pouha has played end for Ryan (effectively I might add)? We were searching for DL depth and it was buried on our roster the whole time.

18. JetsOex

JetsOex New Member

Mambo9 i have to say you make some of the most interesting posts on this forum! I do think your 17-5 statistic is somewhat deceiving. To show this I am going to separate players into more refined categories.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Players drafted by Jets after 5th round since 2006:
    Ainge, Eric
    Coleman, Drew
    Slauson, Matt

Free Agents signed by Jets who have 4 or less years of experience:
    Allison, Aundrea
    Clowney, David
    Cole, Marquice
    Devito, Mike
    Ihedigbo, James
    Murrell, Marques
    Pitoitua, Ropati
    Turner, Robert
    Weatherford, Steven
    Westerman, Jamaal
    Wright, Wallace

Players traded for by the Jets with 4 or less years of experience:
    O'Connell, Kevin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Undrafted Free Agents signed by Jets with more than 4 years experience:
    Douglas, Marques
    Feely, Jay
    Fowler, Ryan
    Izzo, Larry
    Leonhard, Jim
    Moore, Brandon
    Richardson, Tony
    Scott, Bart

Players traded for by Jets with more than 4 years experience:
    Edwards, Braylon
    Jenkins, Kris
    Jones, Thomas
    Sheppard, Lito

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So what is my point? The first three groups are players who have lower salaries and the Jets develop. They all have equivalent value to the Jets as a low round draft choice. The next group are undrafted free agents yes but they are members of the Jets will veteran salaries. It doesn't matter if Bart Scott was drafted or not because the Jets are paying him a high salary regardless. The last group are the players the Jets are obtaining at a high cost through trade and may negatively affect the Jets in the future. The Jets may have had very few low round draft picks in the last few years but if you add Trusnik and Stuckey then they have 'developed' the equivalent of 17 lower round players.

19. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Great post Mambo. Looking at it from this perspective makes me fell a bit better about the two picks that we gave up to bring in Braylon. :up:

20. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I am all in favor of trading draft picks for players or using them trade up in the draft if there is someone Tanny really likes. What does a low draft pick get you? A 10% at getting a starter at best.