Predictions: Week 4 - NYJ @ NO

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Sinq15, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

1) Gholston will get the first sack of his career! Strief will be filling in at LT (The former seventh-round pick was retained as the third-string tackle after garnering no interest on the free agent market)

2) Leon Washington will garner 100+ total yards.

3) Sanchez will throw 2 tds and 2 ints.

4) NYJ will cover the spread but lose by 6.

The decision to start this threat was mainly to predict (and hoping) that Gholston will get his first sack.

2. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

And yes, I know Gholston has been lining up as a down lineman (and not necessarily on that side) but here's to hoping!

3. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Jets win 27-23, Jets score on D (fumble return after Bush gets crushed by Bart Scott)

4. dainfamusgc

dainfamusgc Active Member

27-21 Jets

Leon runs back a kickoff, Sanchez 1 TD 1 Int, leon scores on screen

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Gholston has been lined up with his hand on the ground mostly in a 4 down linemen set as an outside passrusher. It's not out of the realm of possibility. But probably unlikely. I think most of our effective pressure will be coming up the middle, over the back of Jonathan Goodwin. They have to keep Brees from being able to step up into the pocket.

#5 abyzmul, Oct 2, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  6. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

But if Gholston somehow manages to get lined up across from Strief (1 on 1), he would have to be salavating, thinking this is his chance...his bull rush should be effective against a 7th rounder.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I won't make predictions but for the Jets to win they need a big game out of these guys:

Leon Washington
    Eric Smith
    Kerry Rhodes
    Kris Jenkins

We're going to need to win the field position game on teams as that's where we appear to have the biggest advantage. If Leon can get a KR TD to start the game that would be Fucillo huge. An early lead and a quiet superdome would be priceless.

As others have mentioned Smith will likely be responsible for Reggie Bush out of the backfield a lot. We'll probably see him on Shockey a lot too. Smith needs to neutralize them so we can focus on their outside weapons.

Kerry needs to make Brees think twice about chucking the ball downfield. An early interception could get in his head, but consistent play from him and a few PD's will go a long way.

If Jenkins can get pressure up the middle I think that will rattle Brees more than outside pressure will. He's very good at stepping up and sliding in the pocket, but with big Jenkins blowing up the middle he won't be able to do that.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Jenkins teabagging Jonathan Goodwin all game.

it will be a one possession game, but a combined score of 45.

they will be the 1st team to score 20+ pts on the Jets and the only team to do so in the 1st half of the season.

9. nolafan33

nolafan33 New Member

You people are underestimating Zach Strief. He's a great pass blocker, run blocking is where he falls short. You won't see very much pressure given up by Strief.

10. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

Then why bother posting here?

The thread is for predictions, not game analysis. There are plenty of those threads. I actually don't even care that you posted, but it just bothers me that the thread title is "Predictions" and you start by stating you don't make predictions...why even enter the thread then.

11. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

I will be the first to admit, I've never heard of him, but if he was only picked in the 7th rd, and he is a 'great pass blocker' then he must be an incredibly lousy run blocker.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I predict if those guys have big games the Jets win.

13. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Okay, this is always fun, so why not make it off the wall? Here's what happens on Sunday:

The announcers go apeshit early on because it becomes apparent that the NO Saints are being exposed for the first time this season as being overrated, while the Jets impress again as being underrated.

After having set up the game early on as NO being this tremendous team to beat, the announcers begin backpeddling late in the second quarter after the Jets are up 16-6 and are contolling the clock. They point out that the Saints beat up on three teams, the Detroit Lions, the Philadelphia Eagles and the Buffalo Bills, scoring 120 points against those three powerhouses (he-he), but that they're now apparently up against a very good Jets team right now and that they "can't seem to find their rythm." The Jets have held the ball for 22 minutes in the first half and have converted on 3rd downs on all but one possession.

The O-line is pushing people around at the LOS and Jones and Greene are sharing the carries and averaging 4.5 YPC. Keller and Leon continue to stymie and are seemingly unstoppable with their short completions. Jones scores a TD from the 2 and we kick 3 FGs and allow only 2 by the Saints. 16-6.

In the 2nd half, the Jets come out with a bomb to Cotchery that sets up an outside carry by Washington for a TD. Jets 23-Saints 6. The defense steps up it's pressure on Brees, who has been harrassed all day, and sets up an INT by Revis who takes it to their 22, where we kick a FG. Jets 26-Saints 6.

Now, late in the 4th quarter, the Jets have controlled the clock for 39 minutes, with 4 minutes remaining. The announcers are now in amazement and the crowd is a non-factor, as Brees finally completes for his first TD of the day on a bomb. Jets 26-Saints 13.

In the ensuing kickoff, Leon Washington takes it to the house. Final score: Jets 34-Saints 13. And the world looks on in amazement. New England loses to the Ravens and the Jets sit atop the AFC East at 4-0 with the Pats at 2-2.

14. realitybias

realitybias New Member

Here's the problem fellas... you all are talking about blitzing, bringing the pressure on Drew Brees, just getting all up in his face.

Well, I'm sure many of you have heard, drew has a 150+ passer rating against the blitz, the best in the league for the last couple years. He is HARD to blitz!

To make matters worse, when you are blitzing, you're going to have less coverage downfield. For some teams, like Buffalo, this is OK because you've got two good corners and good DBs. You guys though have your starting CB and nickleback out. How the hell do you expect to stop Drew Brees... with your 4th string CB (isn't he a safety or something?)?

I don't see how this WONT be a route.

15. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

Very general, but sure.

How does if feel to make a prediction? (even if it is dependant on numerous variables, which gives you an out)

How's this one:

I predict that if Brees gets injured in the 1st quarter, the Jets will win by +14.

I know, I know, I'm being a bit of an ass, just killing some time here, and I find your prediction amusing is all.

16. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Mark Sanchez struggles early, and the Saints jump out to an early lead. By halftime, it's a two touchdown game, but the Jets turn it around, and rally to take the lead late, only to see Brees lead the Saints on a last-minute FG drive to win it.
    Saints 29, Jets 27.

17. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

Now that's a prediction, well done.

18. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

Did it against Brady, worked out ok. What's his career rating against the blitz?

19. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Gonna go with 24-21 Jets

Stuckey, Keller, Jones with TD's for the Jets.

Henderson, Bush, P.Thomas with TD's for the Saints

Feely Kick with 3 mins left in the 4th to put the jets ahead, and a big defensive stand seal the deal

20. tpjets62

tpjets62 Member

That would be great game to watch and I would have to take Monday off!!