Jets vs. Saints - Keys to the game

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Atopps, Sep 28, 2009.

1. SAINTSMAN

SAINTSMAN New Member

Mark Sanchez:rofl:

A rookie:rofl:

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

The reason the Saints want to run the 5 man set is to leave a reciever uncovered it also leaves a tackler uncovered if the D chooses to match up that way which we probably will. That means the QB is going to make completions and get hit legally even when he's not being sacked.

If the Refs choose to over protect Brees game over if they choose to allow the D to match up and play Brees will take some shots and the Saints will stop sending 5 out.

3. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

The Jets dealt with the golden boy Brady, who is protected by the NFL and refs more than any other player and they hit him 23 times . Trust me Payton will be deploying more max protection schemes after watching the Jets/Patriots game films. But hey you want to expose your franchise QB by going 5 wides - be our guest.

4. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The more troll posts like that you make on this board, the closer you will come to being banned. If you don't have anything intelligent to say about football, we don't have any use for you.

Edit: Damn, GM's trigger finger is too fast for me.

5. GreenMachine

How's that for a late hit...Rookie:rofl:

6. Tolan

Tolan New Member

:beer:B&:beer:

7. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

:shit::rofl::jets::up:

8. davidstvz

davidstvz New Member

Well, this should be more peaceful now.

About hitting Brees: he takes hits just as he's letting go of the ball all the time. He holds on even though he knows he's going to be hit. If you're only hitting him the way regular players do he'll be fine. If you try to hit him extra hard, then the refs will probably start calling unnecessary roughness. As long as Brees isn't physically injured, he'll be fine. The dude is as cold as ice these days. You can't pressure him too much mentally, although you can pressure him physically. He's kinda short so if you get all up in his face he has to make inaccurate jump throws just to make a check down (we failed several of those against the Bills).

Still, I just can't imagine this being worse than the Bills game. That was *really* annoying. Our defense made it tolerable however, and then the run game won it for us in the second half.

*shrugs* It's hard to predict how these match ups will go. Well... got to go for now.

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Trust me, I didn't think the Jets' defense would be this effective at this point either, but they are. It's not just the number of blitzes, it's how he has taught these guys to disguise it through different looks and timing delay and overloads.

If you really want to see a comparison, go to a Patriots board. They have played both the Jets and the Bills, and I don't see them making up fantasy formations to counter the Bills' defense on those boards. The Jets defense got in their heads because it wasn't so annoying as it was intimidating.

The Jets aren't 3-0 because they have a great rookie QB or a couple of Pro Bowl runningbacks or an elite O-line - although that certainly helped. The Jets are 3-0 because their defense completely outclassed the competition. And that's without their best D-lineman and a starting corner for one game, and without their best pass rusher for three.

And I'm not saying they're going to pitch a shutout against the Saints. Far from it. This is basically going to be the biggest test for the Jets' defense, as it is also going to be the biggest test for the Saints' offense. I can't wait until Sunday.

Edit: here's an example of what I was talking about. Just take out the spaces.

http ://www. patsfans. com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/10/277650-ok-you-x-o-guys.html

#169 abyzmul, Sep 29, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  10. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

In order to understand what byz is saying If you can finagle a way and are truly interested in the matchup, go find a copy of the patsies at the Meadowlands two weeks ago and watch Brady.

Then watch it again for NEs run game.

11. retthib

retthib New Member

I wouldnt call beating a team 16-9 a stomping.

45-27 Stomp
    48-22 Stomp
    27-7 Stomp

I hope you guys coaching staff thinks the same as some of the fans. Have you guys faced a team w/ Bush, Shockey, D. Thomas, Evans, P. Thomas, Colston, Meachem, Henderson & Moore yet? Thats alot of weapons, pick your poison. Brees is 100 times more poised than Collins, blitz him repeatedly and Devery will make Lowery look like JV. Blitz the LBs & Shockey & D. Thomas will tear up the middle. We havent unleashed our screen game yet, Pierre is our best screen guy & he is back. I dont see how you guys can cover all our weapons and I dont see you guys O being able to keep up in a hostile environment.

And IIRC, Jenkins has .5 sacks in 14 meetings w/ the Saints. Im not worried about Jenkins.

And to Jets n boys, I like your avatar. I was sent here by my friends at SR to defend her. LOL. An ass like that should be showed off for the world to see. I hope you enjoy same as much as I do. You will likely get numerous PMs asking her name, so here you go. Her name is keyra augustina. Google her & thank me later. Also check her you tube videos. Bad to the bone

But good luck

#171 retthib, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  12. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

This will be the game that will show what Sanchez can (or can't) do. Brees and the Saints will neutralize Rex's D, so it will be up to the QB to make big plays that will keep us in the game, and of course minimize mistakes. I don't think the D is gonna win this one - its gonna fall on the kid. The coaching staff will have to turn him loose and see what he can do. It may come down to him with the ball down by 4 with 80 to go and 3 minutes to play. Those are the games that seperate the average from the above average.

13. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Man, I can watch that avatar for hours and never get bored.

14. fr0zensm0ke

fr0zensm0ke Member

While the score of the Jets/Patriots game does not indicate a "stomping" watching film on that game will show you otherwise.. and yes, the Saints have stomped opponents so far, we haven't argued against that.

As far as Jenkins is concerned, stats for interior defensive linemen are fairly misleading. Sacks are kind of a fluff stat for a nose-tackle. Not to mention that Kris Jenkins is a much better player since he signed with the Jets.

This game could go any direction. Rex Ryan's defense in Baltimore dominated Brees via disguised coverages and blitz packages in 2006. His numbers weren't terrible, but most of his yards and two touchdowns came in garbage time when the Ravens had the game in hand. I'm not saying that Brees will fall for the same traps twice, as I'm sure he'll be watching tape from that game ... but there is certainly reason to believe that our defense has a chance to keep this game close. If they manage that, well, anything can happen.

#174 fr0zensm0ke, Sep 30, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  15. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

NO almost certainly has a better O than NE, at least the week the Jets played NE - Brady seemed rusty, and Brees clearly is not. NE may get better, but the point is right now, even playing a game like the D did against NE, I think NO scores more points.

So, will the Jets be able to outscore NO? Will special teams make up for it? Or will Sanchez have to get it done AND minimize mistakes?

I don't blame that int he threw to Stuckey as mostly on Sanchez, but the fumbles are troubling. I love that he's had the success to date, but he's not perfect. It will I am afraid take a better effort to beat NO, and yes, I agree with Wahoo and others, I don't think the Jet D can win this game on their own.

16. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Haha, a CMA (Can't Miss Ass), but u beat me to it with the one u have. However, its a mystery when its covered. N I did check her pix n vids. I must say I was this close to getting fired, except, my monitor faces the wall lol.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I think its a little crazy to say we stomped the Pats, but to keep one of the best all time QB out of the endzone, passing or rushing, its a beating. On top of them, having him taste some dirt was the icing.

Honestly, I like Brees. I think he may be the best in the NFL right now. I like his odds against the Jets D, but not by much. Jets D has done superb, shutting down Brady and Schaub. Brady is a top 3 QB without a doubt. Schaub maybe around 6-7. Both of these teams had weapons. Slaton, Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels. Slaton may be as good as Pierre if not better. Andre is far and beyond the better WR than Colston. Owen Daniels is also as good as Shockey, I think is overrated. You can only have so many players on the field at once, so it doesn't matter if u add two more RBs or a few more WRs, you can't have more than 11 players.

Jets have Revis, Lito, Strickland, Rhodes and Leonhard playing in Nickel. They also have Harris and Scott. Don't forget Jenkins. Jenkins has a piece of cake match up against Goodwin. He has to be doubled no matter what. Ellis is also there and demands double team every now and then. I think the week point of Saints is their left side, where Scott will try n take advantage. If Jenkins tries to attack from the OLs left side and has LG and C block him, Scott has a free shot at the QB, assuming no RB is there to block. Weaknesses are there and that is where Rex will try to take the advantage.

I can't wait now. This has to be the game of the week. Best offense against 3rd best D.

18. VOR

VOR New Member

Hmmm, there are idiots in every fanbase and thankfully one of ours got 86'd here. Anyway, this is going to be a great game. I think the return of Lance Moore will be significant in terms of the Saints dealing with the blitz. He's a great possession receiver and catches everything. He'll be great for a quick release. I'm not convinced we (the Saints) can run a good screen. I've been waiting for awhile now . . . say, three years or so . . . and I'm still not convinced. One of Brees' strong points is his ability to move in the pocket. He's very elusive and escapes a lot of hits. And he throws accurately while moving. I'm hoping that added dimension somewhat offsets Ryan's blitz packages.

19. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ so far the Jets have faced three statues at QB. I too wonder how Ryan is going to deal with a guy who can move around.

its going to be so much fun on sunday.

20. davidstvz

davidstvz New Member

Brees is very elusive. If a blitzer busts through the front of the line, he just side steps and finds a target. If they come around the side, he just steps up and finds a target. If no one gets through, he relaxes, kicks his feet back, takes a sip of coffee, browses the sunday paper, then throws a touchdown. Collapsing the pocket from the front is the only thing that takes Brees off his game that I know of. The Bills actually did it, but unlike previous times this has happened, Brees carefully protected the ball, took what he could and trusted the defense to step up when needed. In the past he had to take chances because he knew the defense would probably get beat. This year's Saints team is incredibly dangerous now that we have a real defense.