Cotchery a #1 now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bvon, Sep 27, 2009.

1. 85inthehall

85inthehall Well-Known Member

If TO is supposed to be a #1 and has done squat this season Cotch is no doubt a #1!

What else does he have to do? He gets open, catches anything that hits his hands, is clutch, runs after the catch, blocks, and scores....that is what a #1 is supposed to do!

Because he isn't 6 foot 5 with 4.3 speed he can't be a #1?

2. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

someone like torry holt would have been a nice option opposite cotchery. stuckey to the slot.

3. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Cotchery may not be the elite talent at WR ala Andre Johnson / Randy Moss - but he's a spectacular receiver and I'm damn glad he's on this team.

Can you imagine how the offense would look with an elite WR in the mix?

4. e-x

e-x New Member

if he isn't a number one then maybe we don't need a number one, because he's playing very well

we could use help at WR opposite him, obviously

5. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

Is he a top 32 WR in this league? Yes. No doubt in my mind. Is he a top 10 WR in the NFL? Doubt it. So it really depends what you mean by a number one. Hes not dominant enough to single handedly take over games, but there arent too many of those in the NFL.

6. dacdaddy

dacdaddy New Member

He doesnt have blowaway speed, but hes made some spectacular catches in the past few seasons, that diving one-armed David Tyree-esque catch agains the helmet, another getting tackled and spun parallel to the ground, coming up and running it in to the endzone when everyone thought he was down, guy is legit

7. benjetin

benjetin New Member

when he wins a game Yes

8. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

OK...

Watch the f'ing tape. How many guys were on him ALL game? It starts with a T and ends with an O. What the F does this guy have to do?

He was a monster today, an absolute monster. He was so pissed off when he finally got that TD. They were holding the shit out of him all day. I liked the intensity. If he can play like that every week he's going to put this "not a number 1" BS to rest.

Oh, and STFU.

9. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Perhaps that was too abrasive. Maybe you can guess what jersey I wear.

REC - 18
    YDS - 285
    AVG - 15.8
    TDS - 1

10. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

This #1 or #2 conversation is one of the dumbest on this board.

Someone give me a list of #1 WRs in the NFL right now. I still say there is no such thing.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

There's a list of receivers with breakaway speed. There's a list of receivers with great hands. There's a list of receivers with excellent route running skills. There's a list of receivers who make things happen after the catch.

If you're on all 4 lists you are one of the premier receivers in the NFL right now. That group is very small, maybe 5 guys or thereabouts. If you're on 3 of the 4 lists then you're likely a #1 receiver and there are about another 20 or so guys with you. That's where Jerrico Cotchery is right now.

There's a 5th list also: the guys who make things happen around them irrespective of the 4 lists above. Cotchery is on that list too and there aren't a lot of other people there.

#31 Br4d, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

The term is interchangeable with elite and there are probably 5 or 6 in the entire NFL.

13. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Cotchery is sick. Any Jets fan who hasn't realized that by now hasn't been watching. I was never concerned about him in the lineup. I felt and still feel we need a receiver opposite him to round out the corps. Stuckey is nice but if we had a guy like Coles of the last few years opposite him this offense would be a lot better. The WR position is still basically 2-deep and that might not be good enough over the course of a year. No one past Stuckey is a legit receiver.

14. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

He's third in the NFL with 285 yards after three games. Yes, those are #1 WR numbers. You cannot argue with the stats.

15. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

Cotchery, Stuckey, Brad Smith, Keller and Leon

Those guys plus our o-line, which is having trouble making holes for the run game but is doing a top-notch job on pass protection.

These are enough weapons to make any quarterback look good. At this point, the Jets only weaknesses seem to be depth, run blocking and the fact Sanchez is a rookie and is going to do rookie things.

16. HOI

HOI Active Member

Cotch is good but he'll never really get his due because he's not a loud mouth douche bag like other "big time" WR's. Everyone makes TO out to be God but that asshole couldnt catch the swine flu. I'm perfectly happy with having a quiet, fierce competitor who just goes out there and gets it done every week.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

That says it all right there. Cotch is certainly a #1 and I feel bad that I didn't give him any props up until now.

18. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Cotch is playing at an unbelievable level right now,, imagine how good he would be if he had a legitimate threat opposite him.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I still say he's not "elite" but I'm starting to think that's got more to do with the other recievers than it does him.

Clearly he's able to make plays. Maybe he doesn't command double-teams, but he's still making plays. Basically, teams are saying "You're going to have to make Cotchery beat us" by covering everyone else. Stuckey would be dangerous if he was free, but he isn't usually wide open.

If we had two Cotcherys I'd say we had an elite WR corps with Stuckey in the slot, Keller at TE, and Leon coming out of the backfield. Unfortunately, we don't have that real significant threat opposite Cotch where a D has to choose one or the other to focus on. I had been harping on picking a first-round WR next year, but now I'm starting to think that a second-round talent is more than enough.

EDIT: And Schotty, throw the ball to Keller more!

20. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Cotch certainly has great hands, can catch the ball in traffic, tough as nails getting yards after the catch. He is single covered allot and we haven't played a really elite Defense yet this year.

There are many ways to define an elite WR. I think in our O we have enough weapons when you count the TE, Stuckey and Leon Washington that Cotch can be a go to guy who you can throw the ball to with a guy hanging on him and he will make big plays, convert third downs and protect the ball from being turned over on a bad throw. A go to guy who gets it done may not be elite but it's enough.

Ray Berry
    Fred Biletnikoff
    Steve Largent
    Art Monk

Not that I consider Monk a HOF reciever but he certainly was very good.

Those are HOF WR and none of them were burners.

#40 winstonbiggs, Sep 28, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2009