Cotchery a #1 now?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bvon, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Bvon

Bvon New Member

All I've heard is Cotchery isn't a true #1 WR. He seems to be doing just fine to me. Is he a #1 WR in your opinion??

2. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

He's certainly playing like it.

I've said he's a great number 2 but not a true number 1 and I stand by that but the man has been playing great. He's a very good WR. Physical and sure handed.

3. 624

624 Banned

He is currently leading the NFL in receiving yards in a run first team with a rookie QB, so yes.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

I'll reserve judgement on this until the end of the season.

I want to see how Sanchez utilizes Cotch in key situations for the rest of the year.

However...Cotch has played exceptionally well thus far....through 3 games.

5. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

as of right now, he leads the league in receiving yards. so yes, and he is very underated.

6. rico college

rico college Well-Known Member

Still too early to call, but he has been playing very well so far.

7. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

I haven't waivered and have always said he was a #1 and still do.

But the term "#1 receiver" is relative.

8. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i want to see if he can keep this up for an extended period. i have always loved the way cotch plays but never thought he could be a true number 1 receiver. i am sure hoping that i was totally wrong.

9. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

No...and that can be seen in the stats of his fellow receivers. He does not command the kind of attention that helps his peers get open. Sure, he can beat his coverages and make great catches and runs, but he is not good enough to make those around him better. He's the best #2 in the business.

10. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I'll be honest from what i've seen when he was the #1 a couple times over the last couple years he played less then what a #1 was but this season so far he's been a great #1. J-Co 4 MVP!

11. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This does not make much sense. I understand the arguement, but I disagree. It is still early, teams are still trying to determine how good Cotch really is, obviously he is leading the league in yards right now. I think he probably should be commanding more attention from the opposing defense if he keeps putting up stats like he is. How is it Cotch's fault that they are not putting more attention on him?

As far as the rest of the Jets recievers, they are almost like rookies. Very inexperienced, they are playing well given the situation though. It is to be expected to a degree, only I believe they are exceeding expectations at this point. Not the other way around.

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

If you could see Ryan's reaction to this in his press conference you'd get a real kick out of it.

13. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

He's a #1 in the Derrick Mason mold.

Never the flashy highlight reel WR, but consistent 80 catch, 900-1100 yard guy.

I wonder what a true strong #2 WR would do to help his game. Stuckey is good but he'd be way better in the slot.

14. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

The universal definition of "#1 WR" is a guy who warrants consistent double teams. There are very few of these players in the NFL today. Cotchery doesn't fit that description, but he is a definite playmaker. Probably the best WR for YAC outside of Boldin. He will be a great target for Sanchez for hopefully many years. It's looking like 1000+ for Jerricho this year.

15. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Cotch has the best of both worlds. He's not good enough to command double coverage but certainly good enough to beat most of the corners in this league/

16. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

I agree that the rest of the receivers' inexperience plays into the equation. And that is a tribute to Cotch's skills. He has shown himself to be money on his own. Hopefully, he does begin to command the respect of double teams, freeing up Stuck and Keller to make some noise. But as of right now, I wouldn't call him a true #1.

17. OPEC

OPEC New Member

I don't see why he can't be a legitimate #1

18. Killeri9590

Killeri9590 Banned

I'm going to say this, he keeps racking up these numbers teams will eventually start double teaming him, book it

19. Megazord2012

Megazord2012 Banned

If he keeps up playing the way he has been, he should start to command some more attention and get doubled up on. But who cares what we call him so long as he is doing well.

20. tdoublee

tdoublee Active Member

Label him what you want, but we absolutely need another WR to step up and fast. Clowney obviously is not gonna make an impact this year and Stuckey is a slot guy. We are one decent WR away from really doing something special this year.