Two things I noticed about Sanchez....

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DeathByJets, Sep 20, 2009.

1. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

Sanchez totally plays like a non-rookie. He doesn't make many mistakes, and when he does, they're not game changing ones.

For the most part, he stays away from interceptions and sacks.

The Jets don't have to baby him. He plays just as good as any other QB in the league -- or better. I think Rex probably figures that now, after watching the second half, when the Jets let Sanchez start throwing the ball.

It is truly amazing to think that he played so few college games, and he's able to just step in at the most important position on the field and play with the pros.

2. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Who needs tons of starts in college? F@ck the critics.

I can see why the CS & FO was so high on this kid. Best thing Mangini ever did for the Jets.

If he would have only new he would have traded Quinn to us for our 1st rounder and picked Sanchez himself. No, I think I'm giving Mangini to much credit, he's not that smart.

3. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Yout think? Thank goodness you are not part of the Jets' scouting team.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

slow down guys they only threw what 5 times in the first half for a reason. he played well, he did however miss badly on a couple passes. there were 2 very short passes that were off by 5 yards from where they were supposed to be.

the KEY is that like someone said earlier when he makes mistakes they are incomplete passes not turnovers that is the really important thing. he has impressed me thoroughly at this point. i am a fan of a guy i was staunchly against drafting... but i cant anoint him yet, it wouldnt be fair to him.

5. legler82

I have to agree with this point. Different parts of his game reminds me of different people but he doesn't remind me of anyone specific. I see Pennington's inteligence, Brees' pocket awareness, Brady's accuracy, Steve Young's footwork. I can't think of who his arm strength reminds of. It's definately not in the Farve and Cutler category but it's still a bit more than above average. The only 2 things he has yet to show me is how tough he can be and can he orchestrate a last minute game winning or tying drive.

6. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

He reminds me a lot of early Drew Brees, back when he was with San Diego. Not the most accurate passer, but good touch on the ball, and not the strongest arm but a good enough one to make any throw he has to. Great footwork and surprising quickness, with accuracy on the move. Also, gets a lot of his balls knocked down at the line. I hope he can evolve into as great a QB as Brees is now, but I think that's a good comparison.

7. legler82

What has me excited is that we are just scrathing the surface w/ Sanchez and we are 2-0. I think he will keep getting better every week. So I hope we continue to steal these wins early on without relying on him to do the heavy lifting. I think before the season ends we will need him to win some games for us and I think he will be ready.

#27 legler82, Sep 20, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  8. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I noticed that block too.. That was frikin' AWESOME.. I love this Jets team, very exciting. :metal:

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

He's much more developed than Brees was back then. I watched Brees a lot when he was at Purdue and the player he was most like was Doug Flutie, only 3 inches taller, which was a big deal. They both had huge guns, better than Sanchez by a good bit, and they both were mobile, although Flutie was ridiculously elusive when he left the pocket.

Trying to compare them is really hard though. There are plays when Sanchez can stand in the pocket if he needs to, at 6'2" when Brees at 6'0" would be moving around trying to open up his sight lines.

Then you look at the ability to throw the deep ball and Sanchez is not in the same category as Brees, who has a great arm. Sanchez has a very good arm and it will serve the Jets well but it's not Drew Brees arm.

Sanchez is already as poised as Brees was heading into his 4th season when he finally broke through and became a great QB. It wouldn't be hard for Sanchez to turn up the heat a little, with that great defense watching his back all year, and wind up having Brees career minus the first 3 developmental seasons.

I just find it really hard to compare Sanchez to the great QB's before him because for every way that he is similar to each of them he is very different in other ways.

It could be that what he's most known for in the end is how easily he made the transition to the NFL and how seamless his career was from that point on. Kind of a Tom Seaver of QB's for those who understand the reference. There, I compared him to Tom Seaver and that's probably as accurate a comparison as any great NFL QB past or present.

10. ........

........ Trolls

Whaaaaa?

Come on, I love this kid as much as anybody, but this is so unbelievably overboard. The entire approach offensively is built to put him in a position to succeed without asking him to carry the offense. While I agree it's a slight to refer to it as "babying" him, we've done a great job of limiting what he's had to do and unleashing him at the right point to ensure his success. He's performed BEAUTIFULLY for a rookie, and has exceeded expectations. To suggest that he's played as well as any QB in the league--or better--is ridiculous.

Drew Brees and his 9 TDs in 2 games, for one of many, is asked to do a lot more for his team. Sanchez is unbelievably promising, but he's still quite raw.

11. ........

........ Trolls

It's because of that defense that Sanchez isn't going to have Drew Brees's career, and that's certainly not a bad thing. The Saints are built to have to win offensively, and Brees's numbers are in part a product of that. I love stat lines like the one day for Sanchez. Roughly 200 yards, a touchdown, and no picks. Maybe he throws for 2 TDs, or maybe we run the ball in the red zone. The point is, he's not going to be forced to air it out, and he's not going to have to carry the team on his back. The sack he took today was a great sign. Rather than feel a need to put that ball up there and risk an INT, he knew by taking the sack he could drain the clock and the defense would hold strong. He'll have good numbers, but we'll likely never need him to lead the league in passing.

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

then find another team.

13. nyjets2sb

nyjets2sb Member

They actually pointed out the block on ESPN, haha

14. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

This sounds crazy, but I think one of his best plays was the sack he took at the end of the game. New England had burned all their timeouts, we had the lead and field position, about 2:30 left. By taking the sack he allowed the clock to run to the 2:00 warning, thus eliminating the Pats' last clock stoppage before we punt. A rookie (or just a bad QB) tries to force something there, either throws a bad pick or an incompletion and leaves an extra half minute for Brady & Co to go to work. Eating the ball, letting the clock run, allowing us to pin them deep and let the D do their job was the right move, a veteran move. Well done, Dirty!

15. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

After 2 games, who knows what this kid is going to be, but you have got to be impressed so far. I was doubtful - I saw him play in college, and he was good, but not, to me, above average. However, what impresses me most is how IN the game he his - talking to players, moving, observing, talking to coaches, and building on his experience. After the Stuckey TD was nullified, he went to line, looked at the D and changed the play. He made the right call, as Stuckey was open in the left corner, but he overthrew him. However, for a rook to be able to eye a Belichick defense, and correctly change the play, is pretty damn impressive. Of course, he still has much to prove, but you have to like what you have seen so far.

16. ........

........ Trolls

Absolutely. I was yelling at the TV "Just get down. Don't lob it up there. Get down. Get down. NICE!"

17. sunnycalzone

sunnycalzone New Member

I thought he was the best QB coming out of the draft, still do ;)

Carroll was pissed off he lost him for a reason. He'll have his ups and downs, but dude is going to be a legit franchise QB. feels good man.

18. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

What a fucked up thing to even think. Let alone put it on the net. This is the new and improved Jets lets not try to jinx the team already.

19. joesanerd

joesanerd New Member

I loved his reaction to when he overthrew Stuckey/Stuckey tripped... he knew that was a hands down TD that just didn't happen, and his reaction was just like ours... This kid has a LOT of heart, as long as the defense and special teams keep up the intensity its only going to help this kid along that much faster.. ala this year's MVP Joe Flacco

20. claymation

claymation Member

The two things that I noticed about Sanchez is...

He walks on water.
    and
    His tears heal the sick.