Taking off the green glasses...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

loved reading all the great threads, but anyone who watched the game knows:

a little luck + a slightly better team = 24-7 win.

as i watched the game, especially early on, there were a few moments that i thought "wow...we just dogged a disaster there'. things definetly broke our way. the 2 TJ fumbles that wearn't. sanchez' wounded duck that could have been picked but wasn't. plus a few more lucky moments.

TJ was held firm on 1st and 2nd downs way too often, only to be saved by another great sanchez throw time and time again. fun to watch, but not sure if this is a good for a true 'ground and pound' team.

we certainly had the better team today, but it was nice to see the ball bounce our way, espically in the beggining with a rookie qb.

2. Kenny

Kenny New Member

You must not have watched the game I was watching.. You know when we had 462 yards to 183.. 22 1st downs to 11, this was a ass whoopin.

3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

yup...i'm refering to the early part of the game when we had a few balls bounce our way. it could have been ugly early, but we had some luck. that's all i'm saying.

4. crypter

crypter New Member

Some times it is better to be lucky then good .

5. teedee83

teedee83 New Member

I understand what your saying, but many times sports come down to a little luck. I think to go in and beat the 3rd rated offense, opening day in their stadium with a rookie QB in a big accomplishment. But you make some good points. This is only one game and the ball will not always bounce the Jets way. We will see how they do when it doesn't. I think as long as we (fans) don't get too crazy either way we will be better off. Getting excited over a win is natural, getting overly excited just makes the pain of a bad loss worse. As Jets fans we know that all too well.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Aw come on , EVERY team has an element of luck at every sport.
    I'll tell you what if I were a member of the team and read your comments, I'd be seriously pissed off with them.
    Bollocks, this is a good team thats going places and I for one am very excited for the future.
    Every time I look at Sanchez, I still see that excited kid on draft day that got picked by the Jets. Gotta love him.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Watching this game I was struck by how complete we played on both sides of the ball. This was a domination on the road. Luck is a constant in the NFL but this team was quicker, bigger and more aggresive on both sides of the ball.

The thing about the NFL is now the opposition has tape and there will be adjustments. The chess match part of the NFL really doesn't happen in week 1 and won't get into full gear for another few weeks.

Have to love how tough we are up the middle of our D. Jenkins was dominating in single gap and Harris looked incredible now that he's healhty. Donald Strickland had a hell of a game. Stuckey answered the No. 2 WR question in spades.

Luck had little to do with why we won yesterdays game. We made our luck by being bigger, tougher and faster and wanting it more and having a great scheme on both sides of the ball.

8. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

I totally disagree with the OP. Yes, there were a few lucky moments, but this was a total and complete beatdown of a team many experts predicted to be a playoff team.

Now, I do think that the Texans are overrated by a lot of experts, but that doesn't change the fact that the Jets outplayed them in every single aspect of the game.

9. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Everey game there will be plays that could ahve went either way whether they be potential fumbles or INts or other big plays. That's life in the NFL. We dominated Houston pretty much from start to finish. It's a great first step but we have a long way to go.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I do agree that there were moments that went our way... but think about it, when was the last time we had a team where these things went our way?

This isn't the same old Jets... not by a long shot.

We've got an up and coming beast in this league... dare I say, future Super Bowl contender?

12-4

11. SI_Jets_Fan

SI_Jets_Fan Member

devil's advocate... let's say all of the bad throws and fumbles go the Texans way. If they don't run them back for 6, it doesn't matter. They could not score on our D. Period. We needed to score 8 points to win yesterday, only because they got lucky on a recovered fumble during the int runback.

12. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Let's worry about NE before we start 12-4 SB talk.

13. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I only got to see the early first part of the game, but I was shocked and excited as to how the defense brought the pain right from the first series... this is the defense I have been holding my breath to see for the last 5 years. And they delivered.

The offense starting out was a bit shaky, but probably most likely looking for its rhythm. Sure, they probably dodged some bullets along the way, but that happens in every game with every team. It is usually what separates good from bad, and good from great teams. It helps when you play the way they did yesterday to make your own luck... in our case it was good luck for a change.

Hey! Be happy!! We won on opening day!! :beer:

14. SI_Jets_Fan

SI_Jets_Fan Member

No, let's talk about 12-4 and let NE worry about US!

15. 611LWC

611LWC New Member

The Jets D pitched a shutout yesterday, and that was without Ellis and Pace.... We have about three more weeks to see what they will look like with all of the parts in place.

16. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

you can't make a living on 3rd down every week....but i will say that players such as washington, keller, and stuckey will create difficulties for opposing defenses in those key 3rd down spots.

lets see how BB gets his D ready for next week.

jil

17. Tony

Tony Bipedal, Reformed

Next week will be a great test to see where the Jets stand at this point. Should be very interesting. Honestly, I don't expect them to win, but they have a chance.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The thing that impressed me the most was our defense. We got in their face early and often. Luck had nothing to do with that, we just dominated on that side of the ball, period. And I say this is with my green glasses off this morning.

But with my green glasses removed, I'm wondering about our running game this morning. Jones had putrid YPC up until the one he broke (the first one). It was Sanchez who kept a lot of those drives alive on 3rd and 8, 3rd and 9 situations. And yes, there might have been a little luck in that, or maybe a lot considering we had a stone cold rookie under center. I'm not sure we're going to be able to accomplish repetetive 1st down conversions like that against the Patriots this weekend, for example.

So while I'm thrilled with our defense, I think coach Ryan needs to take a look at where our "run first" running game went to. Was it us or was it that we were up against a very, very good run-stuffing team? Maybe a little of both I suspect.

This win was sweet though... REALLY SWEET. And I'm pretty comfortable waking up this morning without my green glasses on.

19. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Actually, I was saying 12-4 throughout the entire offseason.

As for SB contender, I'm not convinced it's this year yet. Next week will tell us a lot more about that.

20. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

NE will have one less day to get ready and I am sure Belichick, after watching the game yesterday and Straub getting killed on nearly every play, had only one thing to say. Oh shit.