Would you be happy to sign Seymour in 2011

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Sep 13, 2009.

1. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Just throwing this out there. Cannot see him signing a new deal with the Raiders , would be on the open market looking for 3-4 year deal. Sounds like his family is settled on the East coast which was a major factor in his no show in Oakland up to now..

Would upgrade our pass rush immensly and would allow us to draft a young DE and rotate them in with Ellis and Seymour.

2. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

No way. There is a very good reason the Pats let him go and I'm guessing its injuries + hes getting old.
    Ok, the Raiders got a good player IF hes motivated enough to play for them, personally I think he absolutely hates the trade. But the Pats now have yet another 1st rounder....fuck.

3. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

The Pats always did a great Job of getting rid of their players in time. I don?t think he?ll have much left by 2011

4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Sure if the money is right he would go along way towards improving our Dline and would be a great player for hopefully a rookie to learn the 3-4 from. Plus we would stick it top the Pats and Raiders which would make it that much sweeter.

5. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Will the trade fall though if he doesn't sign a new long-term contract? There must be something in the wording of the trade agreement to that effect - otherwise the Raiders would be giving up a No.1 draft pick to have a player for two seasons. Not even Al Davis is that crazy... is he?

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Why not 2010?

7. Twombles

Twombles Active Member

Looking for a 3-4 year deal at 32 wouldn't be the smartest move.

8. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Yes there's little doubt he hated the trade. But here's the thing: Pats had to resign either him or Wilfork next offseason. They apparently wanted to or could sign only one of them (salary reason?). So they decided to trade seymour. I doubt if he becomes a FA. Raiders have to be dumber than I thought if he becomes a FA next yr and they still give up the first to the Pats.

In the event that he does become a FA, we should definately go after him. He'd be 30 by then, still younger than Shaun Ellis. We should sign him, AND draft a first day DE, preferably a first rounder. 2nd rounder can be WR as there are 'generally' more WR potential in drafts than a franchise DE.

WHY would he sign with the Jets? Here's why: He absolutely hated the trade. He wanted to stay in Shitsborough, but Belicheat cheated on him (and decided to go with someone younger). He probably is pissed off about it and if it was me, I wouldn't be too happy with the Patsies. I would love the opportunity (just like Favre) to kick their butt and where better than the Jets. If thats the mindset, it wouldn't be too hard to throw out $3-5 mil a yr contract (depending on how he performs this yr) and bring him in to NY to n rotate among our first round DE n Shaun Ellis.

Yes, sign his arse and don't give a **** if he is an x-pat. They take all our left overs anyways.

9. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

30 to be precise....Shaun Ellis is 32

10. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Thats true. Just realized it. Unless the OP is assuming Raiders will tag him after the first yr.

11. Don

If they do then they could the second year too. Assuming there even is a year in 2011.

12. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

My mistake I meant 2010 if mods could amend... doh!

13. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

Depends on how many games he plays this year and how much he wants in salary.

At least he's a lot nearer home than with the Raiders!

14. gustoonarmy

Exactley for those reasons I wouldn't want another player on the team motivated by revenge.

I read/saw somewhere that this move is a typical Raiders move with Al Davis always believing that the next player to come along is always the final piece.
    Hell, the guy is older than Dracula and can't have long left.

15. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

I strongly disagree about him being too old. He is 29. Of course, not the youngest, but in his prime and still has 2-3 yr pro bowl football left in him. He probably still has about 4-5 yrs of good football left. Shaun Ellis is two and a half yrs older than him and we all seem to love the guy. Why the hate on Seymour then? yeah I know he was a Pat, but he was, not is.

But like I said, I doubt if he becomes a FA next yr or even the yr after. Raiders have got to sign him to an extension else Im gonna puke. What would be worse is if he becomes a FA, NE gets a first rounder, and they pick him up from the free agency for free.

16. crypter

crypter New Member

No ,our long term goal is to build with the draft . Any other way is a stop gap .

17. gustoonarmy

I think this is just good business by the Pats.

http://www.sportsfan4.com/football/breaking-patriots-trade-richard-seymour-for-first-round-pick/

Bit of both I think.

Heres a list of his injuries.
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/players/5453/injuries.html

18. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

You know we brought in Faneca, Woody, Jenks, Favre, Lito, Leonhard and Scott here among others in the last 2 years, right?

19. Don

Your goal maybe, obviously not the Jet's goal over the past few years.

20. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

The Jets could probably use Seymour, but for the love of god, just because he might not re-up in Oakland, doesnt mean you need to start this thread until the offseason. I mean if did this with every player who might not resign with their current squad we would need a separate forum....