I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He is getting paid to be one of the best in the game. I didn't say I expected it every week, I said let's not talk about him being one of our all time greats until he has had a few games like that.

2. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

OMG, VG actually got a sack last night.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

And played the better part of all 4 qtrs and didn't get winded. I was impressed with that and his play on ST's. Maybe when he gets tired of being bitch-slapped around by OLinesmen, he'll become the beast we thought he was instead of the bust we think he is..

4. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

we saw he has the ability, I think the piece missing is motivation.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'll definitely give him some credit, he looked different in this game than he had in the others. I liked the move that he put on that LT to get his sack - and he applied legitimate pressure on a number of plays.

But I'm also not going to start sucking his dick over a sack against a bunch of second stringers in a week 4 preseason vanilla offense like some people seem ready to. He's still not starting caliber, yet he'll be the starter in week one. The defense is going to suffer for VG's crawling progress.

#305 abyzmul, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Quick question: anyone ever hear that MAngini made a war room power play to draft Vernon?

7. Don

I would have more respect for Tannenbaum if that were true. Then at least I would know it wasn't his shit-brained idea.

8. abyzmul

Do you expect that anything that ever happened in Mangini's War Room would ever see the light of day? That dude would not tell you what he had for breakfast.

9. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Seriously! The Gholston apologists on this BB kill me. I'm all for cheering on any Jet making any progress in his game. But not in a damn vacuum! Gholston was the SIXTH OVERALL PICK! He held out so that he could get a better contract and make more money. Money that counts against this team's cap (maybe wont be an issue next year, but still). And the best you can give me is that after playing 4 preseason games last year, 15 regular season games, and 4 more preseason games, he gets a sack and some pressures. Sorry, but feel good story this is NOT!

And someone had the nerve to compare him to Woodhead. Last I checked, Woodhead was an undrafted kid making next to nothing (football standards), so of course we'll cheer him on, even against the second and fourth stringers, because of his heart and determination. But to compare that to Gholston? Get real!

10. Don

For everybody that loves Florio so much you can add this one to the list.

Posted by Mike Florio on September 4, 2009 7:09 AM ET
    After four preseason games in 2008 and 15 regular-season games in 2008 and three preseason games in 2009, it finally happened.

On the 23rd occasion that he donned an NFL uniform and entered a pro football game, Jets linebacker Vernon Gholston, the sixth overall pick in the 2008 draft, tackled the quarterback behind the line of scrimmage on a passing play.

Hooray?

For coach Rex Ryan, the question mark was replaced by an exclamation point.

"It was great," Ryan said in comments circulated by the team. "It was the first of many. We're going to approach it that way. It was good to see him get one after last week when he got one and then hit the quarterback. I thought he was physical against the run as well. I was happy with the way he played."

Gholston has been to date a major disappointment. When Ryan got the job earlier this year, he compared Gholston's struggles to the early stages of the career of Ravens linebacker/defensive end Terrell Suggs.

Last night's sack notwithstanding, Gholston still has a long way to go to become "V. Sizzle."

"I haven't seen one single thing from him. There is no violence in him," NFL Network's Brian Baldinger tells Bob Glauber of Newsday.

"You're playing a position that is basically the most aggressive position in football. You're paid to attack people, and there's no attack in him. It's the most fun of any position in football. All you have to do is unleash yourself. You look at guys like Joey Porter, James Harrison. They have fun. [Gholston] has zero. There's no attack in him."

If Gholston is going to get some attack in him for 2009, he needs to do it soon. With Calvin Pace commencing a four-game suspension for getting some banned substances in him, Gholston soon will follow his first NFL sack with his first NFL regular-season start.

11. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

If Danny Woodhead's heart and determination were inside Vernon Gholston's body...

Vernon had a pretty good game tonight. He was very active, consistently in the backfield, and didn't look lost. That's enormous progress.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't think Gholston held out.

You really need to get over the fact that he was drafted 6 overall. He's on the team, he's a New York Jet and his contract isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He's not going to go from doing nothing to DeMarcus Ware in one game. He's showing improvement.

13. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Translation: I'm trying to convince myself that Vern doesn't suck, even though I know he does and if he wasn't leaching millions upon millions of dollars, he'd be shining shoes right now.

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Really? Then I stand corrected. My memory has gone to shit, I freely admit. And I don't think we should get over where he was drafted. You don't draft a guy high in the hopes that he'll gradually improve to mediocre. Those are the later round dudes. But I think we as fans (and the Jets as an organization) have the right to hold the guy to a higher standard. I hope, hell I pray (ok, that may be a bit strong) to be 100% wrong about him. It'll be the best piece of crow I've ever eaten (and I've eaten it many times in life). But until them, I'm just not going to dance a jig because in the 4th preseason game of his second year he looked ok. I respect everyone's opinions on this BB (except for RaiderJoe, but I think he's here purely for comic relief), but I'm just not excited about Gholston and still think he's a bust until truly shown otherwise. Sadly, we'll all find out for sure (or at least be well on the road to a final conclusion) in the first 4 games of the season (damn you Pace!).

15. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Could be wrong but didnt he "hold out" because he had to finish school?

And like said earlier in this thread. I saw him push his guy into the back field a few times. Causing bad throws from the QB.

16. abyzmul

I think some people assumed he held out because he didn't report to camp for a while due to some kind of scholastic obligation to Ohio State or something like that. If I can find a link I'll post it.

17. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Yup, I think you (and dude who posted above you) are absolutely right. Again, shitty memory and the "he showed up late" arguments clouded my memory.

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

That's exactly what it was. Maybe he knew something we didn't and decided his academic responsibillities would serve him well one day.....in the next 5 years

19. Don

No, he missed some spring OTAs because his class hadn't yet graduated. A lot of drafted players do every year.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

It's possible that Mangini doesn't know much about converting DE's to OLB's and/or how to motivate people well. I'm going to look at this guy like it's his rookie year and hope Rex can get the best out of him. DE's usually take at least 1/2 a season to really start making an impact at OLB.

It's not like people are on here saying he's great or even good. They're giving him credit for improving and actually doing something. Throwing the #6 pick thing at that seems shitty to me.

You're right though, we should expect top picks to perform at a high level.