I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Watched the game again and like you guys, focused (or tried to) on the Ghost. He looked alot of times like he was the red shirt security guy on the old Star Treks.

Always trailing the play. Always getting beat by his opposite number. At times, he just looked completely out of place although on ST, he did look like he was part of the unit instead of an extra. That pratfall on the sidelines was absolutely priceless. I dunno about salvaging anything out of the guy. Vern probably would do great in the ECW as he has the build for that and his bullrushes would probably win more than a few matches. In the NFL, so far he's a square peg.

2. xmscott

xmscott Well-Known Member

Watching the game (Eagles) right now. Just saw his sack, very nice. And he is pushing the tackle back into the QB's space often. Causing bad throws. Not bad Ghost, not bad.

3. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

He sacked the QB, had a few tackles, collapsed the pocket several times. Some here will still choose to bizarrely attack this guy but the truth is that he is actually making progress and coming along. It definately shows that Ryan is getting him to play better and that VG is working very hard.

4. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you focus on any defensive lineman like that and he isn't a superstar he wouldn't look very good either. And having a sack and a couple of pressures is usually a good day for defensive linemen.

And lets not forget that he barely had any game experience last year in a new position when Mangini tried to make him a complete linebacker.

5. doug4563

doug4563 Active Member

I agree he is making progress. Got his first sack and also collapsed the pocket a good number of times. Even was drawing double teams in the late first and early second half. Looking at tonight's game and last week's game, he essentially has two sacks in two games. Let's hope he is building confidence and momentum.

6. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Gholston looks better every week. I know he looks awful on some plays, but he looks good on others. As long as he continues to improve, I can see him getting a few sacks in his limited playing time this year

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I didn't see his sack, but good to hear he continues to take steps. As someone already pointed out, if you watch one player specifically all game long he will look more bad than good. Gholston is taking steps forward and that's exactly what we want to be seeing.

8. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I'll admit it. That sack was a good play. Also, he did a great job of stretching out the Vick run on the first drive.

#288 CatoTheElder, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  9. KSJets

KSJets New Member

When was his sack? I missed the first drive by each team. Did he actually have a sack on that first drive? I don't remember him getting one the rest of the game. I'll have to catch the replay. Who knows when we'll see him do it again :)

10. ........

........ Trolls

It wasn't on the first drive, but it was in the first quarter. Maybe the 2nd or 3rd drive. He and Green had back to back sacks of Kolb.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Were any starters still playing for the Eagles?

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Good game tonight for Gholston but its still the pre-season lets not get too ahead of ourselves. An did anyone see that play where he was going to tackle the Punt returner and he got layed out. I felt bad for the Ghost yet again.

13. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Thats what happens on ST. You run down the field like a mad dog and somebody chips you from the side. not a big deal.

14. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Yeah, that was borderline push-from-behind though.

Anyway, it's unreal how people are still unwilling to give Gholston some credit for improving. Then again, D'Brick was a bust too, because players don't mature in the NFL, especially guys in the top of the draft.

Plus, he only got his sack against the 2s, so it shouldn't count. Never mind Sanchez's cutting through the 2s like butter, it was just a sweet drive.

People are more determined to "be right" about Gholston than to be happy that he's progressing and could be a force in our defense for years.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

It's not hard to be right about him, you don't need to try. It's hard to talk about him as force in our defense for years when his best game ever came against second stringers in a pre-season game and his stats show 2 tackles and a sack. That talk can start after he has a few 7 or 8 tackle 2 or 3 sack games. Right now he wouldn't survive Saturday's cut if it weren't for the money he has been paid.

16. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

We're talking about a player who hasn't yet started a game and has only played a handful of snaps. Maybe he didn't show a lot last year in practice or camp, but players don't develop just sitting on the bench; they regress, and I'm sure Mangini's player-unfriendly environment didn't exactly help his adjustment to the NFL a whole lot. And clearly no one's talking about him "being a force in our defense for years to come", it's just good to see he's starting to show signs of life.. so it's only fair to give him a chance to show he's not completely worthless. And he's not a complete bust yet so at this point no one can "be right" about him being a bust.

#296 GBA, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  17. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

Cummings has played better and will probably be let go.

Westernam has been the best young LD/DE and should start game 1 for Pace.

18. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

.... gholston is progressing can we just leave it at that?! We are stuck with the guy anyhow so the complaining won't help.

19. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7-8 tackles and 2-3 sack games??? Even the best pass rushers in the game rarely do that and you expect that from what amounts to a rookie in terms of game experience. My God some of you people need to lower the insane expectations of this kid.

20. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Not to mention his development last year was hindered by his arriving at camp late. He still has a coue years left to show he can be a servicable pass rusher. And I think he will do that.