It's Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotsJet, Aug 26, 2009.

1. DaKiDGaNGGReeNRaIN10

SANCHEZ OR WRS an TEs

I am very happy we elimanated the QB issues now lets focus on #WR questions i am a big cotchery fan he has made alot of excellent grabs an is reliable he reminds me of Boldin(a poor mans Boldin) no disrespect by that but boldin has been to pro bowel cotch still hasnt. i am not sold on stuckey at all 2games 2 cathes 5yards an 7yards this is our #2 that is terrible!! Clown has hella spead but im getting the idea he is not a good route runner because all last preseason an this 1 his TDS have been on streaks he has not done a curl or slant an made a move once ball comes he may need a lil more work. i would love for him to be the # if he is going to play like one because cotch will get ALOT of double teams. Britt davis CUT m Henry CUT 6'4 no talents Brad Smith CUT terrible we need some help at WR i think matt jones would be good adjustment he has been working with ricky prohel who was a good wide out an he can throw an has spead give him brad smiths role... i have also been tellin my cuz who is a eagles fan that they will cut Reggie brown an we will get him. he is not a spectatucar wide out by any means but he can get job done. i would love to see a v gholston an 1st round pick for b marshall AND Daniel Graham TE he is a solid blocker we still need a TE we need to cut all our TE aside D.Keller id we dont get a TE an a WR Sanchez will have a long rookie season what yall think? an who do yall think will not make 53man rosters we may be able to get because alot people get cut this time a year we all know this? [/B]

2. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Jsut a little friendly advise, People will not read the "wall of text" posts. Find your enter key and use it. Often.

3. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

like that beautiful throw to leon last game? no sorry i cant give him tons of credit for that throw. i try to be as fair as i can. if you see me being completely negative let me know.

4. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Never had a doubt. When a rookie pushers the vet, the push always goes to the rookie. Great move, no QB controversy. Our 3rd and our 2nd. I believe our 3rd is better than our 2nd. What that means is we are hurting at backup QB. Trade KC now. Our best backup QB was Ratliff and even he was better than KC.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...frontrunner_for_starting_q.html#ixzz0PIFvR7Tl

6. DHarris52

DHarris52 Active Member

Like I said in another Sanchez thread, this was a no win situation for Rex.

If he started Clemens, people would have bitched about how much we had invested in Sanchez only to have him holding a clipboard.

And now, WHEN (not if) Sanchez struggles as the starter, you can bet that people will bitch that he was thrown into the fire prematurely.

"Damned if you do, damned if you don't". It's just the nature of New York Jet fans.

7. ShAuN JoHN 9294

ShAuN JoHN 9294 New Member

I wouldn't have been disappointed if Mark wasn't named the starter. He has only played 16 college football games. Another QB from USC, Carson Palmer, sat out an entire NFL calender to adjust to the NFL game. I love Sanchez but he's not even close to the prospect Carson Palmer was coming to the NFL. People say $50M reasons to start him but I say $50M reasons to bring him along slowly.

I think starting him week 10 vs the Jaguars after the bye week would of been the perfect time to insert him into the line up. Could of possibly built some trade value for Clemens and prevented us from throwing Dirty Dirty into the fire against top teams. The 2nd half of our schedule is nowhere near as tough defensive wise. But i do know Mark's work ethic is unreal and i feel he will have a solid rookie season . I'm hoping for the best.

8. discostu570

discostu570 Active Member

The difference is that the argument that the investment mandates that he should start is nonsense, the vast majority of NFL rookies, particularly quarterbacks, are NOT starters on opening day. So if Sanchez were riding the bench and people found that unacceptable based on his draft slot and contract, those people would be ignorant, and basically just wrong.

On the other hand, if Sanchez a month in is getting run down by every team we face, has those big rookie eyes Ray Lewis was talking about, and generally seems not to be adjusting fast enough to the speed and complexity of the game, there will be a very valid argument that the coaches should have seen it coming, since its what weve seen so far in preseason, not to mention his well known lack of collegiate experience.

It's not damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't. There was one risky choice here, and Rex went with it.

Not to mention that this choice leaves no escape plan. If Sanchez is bad enough that the team gives the job back to Clemens, that gives the appearance of the sort of franchise dysfunction that keeps beat writers busy for years. If Clemens had gotten the job, struggled, and been replaced by Sanchez, Rex could throw his hands in the air and truthfully say that neither guy got the job done, so his choices were as good as they could have been given the circumstances.

9. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

man mike martz is not the guy i am going to put any faith into :) the receiver had to STOP, not slow down he actually had to stop to catch the ball. it was not a perfectly thrown ball as some will have you believe. shit i am going to see if i can find it on youtube just so i can be sure i am not crazy.

i couldnt find it but i will definitely do what i can to locate it tomorrow and take another look.

if i am wrong i will be more than happy to come and say i was.

i am not saying he sucks because of that throw, i am saying that throw wasnt perfect and didnt show us that he can handle the pressure and lead this team right now.

10. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Nah you're not crazy. Smith stopped, turned around and pushed the defender to the ground to catch it. It wasn't a perfect throw by any means.

11. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

That throw was in the very best spot for the receiver to catch it. I've watched it about 60 times already. A throw over the receiver's head would have been near impossible at that time frame. The only spot to throw it was where it went. It was a big time throw.

I say to myself "me? do you think that was a good throw?" And I respond "fuck yeah me, that was a great throw" Then I high five myself and we go have a beer together.

[edit]

Actually what was most impressive about it was he found the mismatch. He noticed the confusion and got the LB on Leon, scrambled with pressure coming at him and still managed to throw the ball in the best spot to catch it.

#251 JohnnyJohnson, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  12. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

13. WhiteShoeWillis

I think Mike Martz probably knows more about football than you and I combined ever will, especially offense and QB's.

Washington did have to slow down for the catch, but if he leads him over the shoulder he would have risked the safety coming over the top. It looks like he put it in a pretty nice spot to me. I mean it was a TD after all.

2:07
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXO-C8fXoig[/youtube]

huh?
    :drunk:

14. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Exactly. There wasn't a whole lot of gap in the coverage on Leon. If he goes over the shoulder at the time of throwing it, I'm pretty confident the defender would have been in a better position on the play or it sails through the endzone.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

And Washington is 5'8", not 6'4"". The location was perfect. You wouldn't want him to have to try and out jump the safety.

16. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Indeed. People just see what they want to see. They're down on the decision of starting Sanchez so it's not that impressive of a throw. Everyone does it.

Still a pretty impressive chain of events in that play from a rookie with 16 college starts under him.

17. WhiteShoeWillis

That was actually his first read - he mentioned it in his post game interview.

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Gotcha. That would explain why he locked on him throughout the play. Impressive nonetheless.

19. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

NICE POV by Dukes (with whom I usually don't agree much):

http://blogs.nfl.com/2009/08/26/ryan-making-all-the-right-moves-with-jets/

A tip of the old ball cap to coach Rex Ryan for the job and decisions he has made thus far for the New York Jets. Now that doesn’t mean the Jets are going to the playoffs, but it’s obvious that Ryan has learned some lessons along the way about how to make decisions — and more importantly how to execute them.

The latest in the line of good decisions came with the naming of rookie QB Mark Sanchez as the starter. But let’s back up to when Ryan was hired. The first thing he did was go get someone who could run his defense on the field. Ryan was going to bring in one of his veteran linebackers from Baltimore – Ray Lewis or Bart Scott — to the team because he knew a key part of his success was having that guy who is an extension of him on the field.

Fast forward to draft day. There were several teams who were talking the talk about Sanchez, but Ryan and the Jets got the deal done. My sources on the team have told me that Sanchez clearly has been the better quarterback in camp, but Ryan gave Kellen Clemens a chance to compete for the job. That’s important in a situation like this because it shows the other players fairness.

Naming Sanchez the starter now gives the offense the opportunity to focus in on Sanchez’s style of play. I’ll say it again – I’m not saying this will translate into a single win. What I am saying is that Ryan is executing the job as head coach with wisdom and great timing.

What say you?

20. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

It was Leon.