I support Vernon Gholston

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Scikotic, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

If he hardly progresses ( or doesnt) this year, it may be time to cut ties. Im not a fan of wasting valuable money on a player that likely will never amount to anything more then a role player. Woody probably doesnt want to waste his money either, even with all those lovely PSL's you guys will be forking our for...

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Blaming Mangini is a cop out of epic proportions. What you're really describing is the reason that we shouldn't have risked a No. 6 pick on him in a deep draft loaded in the front end with outstanding defensive football players.

3. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Perfectly reasonable post. If he doesn't perform at all this year, you're not going to get an argument from me (especially if the uncapped year allows us to cut him without penalty.)

Here's my question to you though. Are you willing to accept him if he becomes a 3-4 DE? Assume that he will never make it as a LB in this defense, but that Ryan manages to make him a very good end here. Would you be in favor of keeping him?

4. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

It certainly didn't help him last year to be deactivated and benched considerably did it? There were plenty of occasions last year where he could have seen some PT, but did not.

Im not in anyway saying that Gholston was the best possible pick. At this point, there are at least a dozen picks we could have ended up with and been better off. Like I said though, im not giving up on VG when I feel he has a fighters chance to be a good player. Lets wait and see what happens over the next few months, then we can revisit this. Otherwise were pounding the hell out of an issue that we likely won't know the outcome to for a few months, at least.

5. winstonbiggs

If the guy couldn't play in games because he didn't get it and wasn't good enough it didn't hurt him at all to be deactivated. He still practiced with the team every week.

6. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

Nor will there be argument from me. I may have started this thread, but im not blindly loyal to a player who doesnt produce. Its put up or shut up time for VG. I just happen to be one of the only people who think he will put up. Oh, silly me.

7. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

we all know you gain valuable experience from practice...

What % of 1st round rookies do you see considerable PT even though they haven't necessarily earned it? All for the sake of experience...

8. winstonbiggs

The Jets were fighting for a playoff birth last year even during the collapse and Gholston simply couldn't play he was a liability on the field. It's one thing to give a guy an opportunity to play, it's another thing to give a guy who isn't prepared mentally to play in the NFL and force it on him. Gholston last year fell into the second catagory.

Gholston not only didn't earn it he proved he wasn't ready to mix it up.

Blair Thomas who was an epic fail for us was far more productive than Gholston his rookie year.

#248 winstonbiggs, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  9. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

I'm right there with you man. I really hope he can be a great LB. I add in the fact that I'd be "satisfied" if he at least becomes a great DE, but either way, this is his year to prove himself. (It's really not a year, but 2 more preseason games, and the first 4 regular season games are more than enough time to show at least legitimate flashes of "I get it!")

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

If he can be effective as DE in the 3-4 (which I am very skeptical about) then I would be on board with it. My problem with that is, I think he'll get pushed around and injured a lot against starting OTs in a stand-up holding pattern. He has neither the leverage nor the frame to hold up to that type of punishment. The reason they drafted him was for his speed and outside rushing - which are obviously not translating at this level. I don't think he would last in the 3-4 DE mode. Maybe in limited capacity, not as a full-time starter.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I agree. He isn't big enough to play DE in the 3-4 and everybody knew it. That's why the plan was for him to play OLB.

12. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

It definitely wouldn't be ideal, but my point all along is that I'd rather get some production out him than none at all. Obviously I still hope he can shape up into a good OLB, but I'll take whatever I can get.

My big hope is that when Jenkins gets back it'll change the opposing OLs focus, and give Gholston the opportunity at some open space.

I'm glad I've got low expectations on this season. There are far too many "if"s on this team.

13. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

nyjets KR: Head coach Rex Ryan has announced that LB Vernon Gholston will start this week vs. the Giants.

14. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

Ryan really is giving him every chance to succeed.

15. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

that's good....because if Gholston continues to fail....he won't have any excuses ...regarding his playing time anyway.

16. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Cool. I hope he plays well and comes up with a big play or two so the headhunters relax a little bit. If he doesn't, this place is going to be on fire by Sunday afternoon.

17. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

nyjets KR: Head coach Rex Ryan announced that LB Vernon Gholston has been awarded a bag of Chips Ahoy cookies and 3 gold stars for not being knocked upside down on Monday night's game against the Ravens.

18. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

He will definitely be in the spotlight now. Nobody will need to dissect his plays at DE or DT or whaever this week. He will be playing for Pace and we all know what he does.

#258 Don, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Where did this talk come from of Gholston becoming a 3-4 end? He will never be a full time 3-4 end, he just doesn't have even close to the size it takes for that position.

This conversation is just silly, especially breaking down his plays in a preseason game to show he is making an impact. Big whoop, he is taking up blockers on a couple plays and almost putting pressure on the QB.

The people supporting him make as little sense as the people ready to cut him. Fact is, right now he is just a bad football player that shows no instincts for the game. He is going to get his chance to change that perception early on this season and it is up to him to do it. I will certainly be rooting for him to succeed so in a sense I support Vernon Gholston too, just as I do every other Jets player. Can't say I'm very confident that he will ever be anything other than a bad football player though.

20. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't think it's fair to expect him to do what Pace does at this point. Is that the type of player we want out of Gholston? Sure, but you need to learn to crawl before you can learn to walk.