When the heck do we start Clowney?!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by StreetFighterJet, Aug 25, 2009.

1. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Clowney will be with the 1st team this saturday, but on a limited basis which surprises me.

Rex always has good thing to say about the Clown, "Whho can catch the Clown?"

The stunt with removing his helmet didn't help his cause any.

2. steviep

steviep Active Member

Football is weird. Because there are so many players -- and the college systems vary so much -- its very hard for guys who are not "touted" to make teams and then break in right away. Its almost like the NFL coaches say -- if you are so good -- why hasnt anyone heard of you.

DOnt know what happened at Greenbay. But in 2008 -- if he didnt get hurt he would have played.

3. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

I was happy he took his helmet off. Who the h would know what these guys looked like, if they didn't take the helmet off every once in a while. They should be mandated to take the helmet off! What a crappy rule!

Thanks Clowney! :D

4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

go to the team website or nfl.com if you want to see a mug shot.

you're a troll aren't you?

just come clean.

5. RedWhiteBlue&Green

NDick, I am not a troll, but you certainly are a dick :p

6. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I'm not worried.... I fully expect Clowney to be the starter. After talking about the QB's on ESPN at 5pm today, without a leading question, the next player Rayn talked about was Clowney. He said "He beats someone deep in every game he's ever played in." While factually incorrect, it's close enough.

Clowney is a faster version of Lee Evans but perhaps with better hands. He needs to improve his route running still, but this kid is the fiture Jets #1 WR. And he DOES need to keep his helmet on and his head in the game.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

But he only has 1 career catch.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he still gets drafted in fantasy.

9. ThunderbirdJet

I am a bit surprised that I would have to qualify MY statements and RYAN's statements to you.... you have to know it's all talk about preseason games... did I have to spell that out to a rabid Jets fan? I didn't think so, but I guess I was wrong.

10. DevTeam

DevTeam Well-Known Member

You guys are so incredible, I'm starting to think I'm having one pulled over on me. You're now comparing David Clowney with Lee Evans, AND saying that he's faster, and he has better hands. Is this some sort of practical joke that I'm not being let in on? The guy's got ONE CAREER CATCH, and has played against nothing but SCRUBS in PRESEASON GAMES. This conversation is so insane, I can't stay away from it -- I'm laughing my ass off, while at the same time shaking my head at the ridiculousness of the stuff you guys say about Clowney. What year does he get inducted into Canton, 2025 over/under?

#90 DevTeam, Aug 26, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

TBJ - I was being sarcastic. I'm w/you, Clowney should be our #2. I don't know if I'd compare him to Lee Evans, but surely he looks like a better WR than Brad Smith.

12. DevTeam

6'1" and 188 lbs. is fragile, those numbers are always inflated as I'm sure you know. You remember the lick that Eric Smith put on Anquan Boldin last year? Imagine that happening to someone like Clowney. He'd STILL be drooling on himself right now, if he was alive of course. I was in the Mezzanine at that game and I could hear the helmets hit each other from that far away with a half full stadium. Scary...

13. ThunderbirdJet

Well, I'm going to return the chuckle. Do I think he is faster than Evans? Yes, I do. I said PERHAPS his hands were better. I also said he needs work on his route running. Does that sound like an induction speech for Canton? Did I even say he was or would be better than Evans? Nooooo. I might think so, but I did not say that.

Clowney has made some of these preseason catches against the ones... like Sanchez's first pass, rememeber? He beat the Rams deep, and their ones were still in. I also said it was all preseason stuff.... the same thing Ryan was talking about on ESPN.

Relax.... have a beer, and discuss football. Don't be an over reactionary CLOWNey.

14. DevTeam

Ideally Cotchery is our #2 and our #1 is on another team...

15. RedWhiteBlue&Green

Maybe. Listen, Clowney is fast and catching everything thrown to him, at least during the games -- which is of course what counts most. Cotch, we know what he brings. And if Stuckey is a decent slot receiver as advertised, then we have something. And of course, Keller. Also, Davis looks alright.

I'd love to have a proven #1 on the team, but is it possible that we don't need one?

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Just for arguments sake, David Clowney is slightly faster than Lee Evans based on 40 times I found on the internet. Clowney runs a mid to high 4.3 and Evans runs a low to mid 4.4

17. ThunderbirdJet

Sorry.... I was out to lunch I guess, because you I know are a solid football fan, and I was like ... wtf? LOL... sure, Clowney is a preseason football star. He has to stay healthy and show us he can do it in real games. I think he can.

As far as the Lee Evans comparison.... I won't back off of that. I do think he's just a bit faster. I do think that both of them need to improve their route running. At this point, I think Evans has shown what his ceiling is but he has never had a good QB either. I think Clowney has the potential to have a higher ceiling.

Tell ya what.... Ryan seems to love this kid. I'm on the Ryan bandwagon. I'm on the Clowney bandwagon.

Every year, there is a sleeper I like. I play a lot of fantasy football. I took Clinton Portis in the second round in his rookie year. I drafted Cutelr in my dynasty leagues, and Brandon Marshall too. Took Adrian Peterson at 2.08 in a redraft league his rookie year. This year, love me some Ray Rice and.... Clowney. I hit on these hunches 90% of the time. Players who outperform expectations.

I'll say it right now.... I think Clowney will have more reception yards and TD's than Cotch. Ridicule if you choose to, but I have an opinion, and stick my neck out. It's easy to go with the flow, and stick with sure fire predictions. I don't do that, or think that way. For what my opinion is or isn't worth, I don't think Rex Ryan thinks that way either, and that is one of the reasons I like him.

18. Sinq15

Sinq15 New Member

http://fantasysports.usatoday.com/content/topblurbs.asp?sport=NFL#149097

Clowney moves into the Jets' starting offense
    David Clowney - WR - NYJ - Aug. 26 - 9:23 p.m. ET
    David Clowney practiced with the Jets' first-team offense Wednesday and appears to have passed Chansi Stuckey on the depth chart.
    "Mr. August" has earned it by leading the Jets in preseason receiving. Only Troy Williamson, Chris Henry, Bills TE Jon Stupar, and Chad Ochocinco have more yards. The deep threat has struggled with drops throughout his three-year career, so Clowney won't have job security. The Jets may also acquire another wideout before Week 1. But for now, Clowney is worth consideration at the end of non-PPR drafts. Stuckey will stay active in the slot.

19. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

^That doesn't say much for the state of Jets receivers when you really read it closely.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I'm not sure I'm that surprised. We are going to be running mostly ball control, and unless Clowney starts running perfect routes for short slants - which he doesn't - he's only going to be stretching the field and draw the safeties away from the action. That spells limited playing time to me.