It's Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotsJet, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Wouldn't the uncapped year follow '10? Oh yeah, just saw that ^.

2. Don

Except we still have to pay him. What decides how much that is? He still doesn't have a contract and we certainly aren't going to tag him.

3. ........

........ Trolls

I hope everyone who is ecstatic stays that way when he struggles this season. I'm happy for him that he's getting a chance to start right away, but I'm also glad as hell that he has the maturity to deal with what ought to be a difficult season. In all likelihood, we ARE going to see added struggles coming from his limited college experience.

I'm also rather hesitant to say that Sanchez won the QB competition. It's likely more apt to say that Clemens simply failed to win it. He wasn't any worse than Sanchez, but he didn't distinguish himself enough (if at all) to win a position that only would have been his for this coming season. It's a shame, because I would have liked to see Sanchez get a year to learn, but the only thing to do now is hope that people are patient with #6 as he gets thrown into the fire.

4. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

You're right. What am I thinking of? RFAs? Meh.

5. ........

........ Trolls

No, next offseason would be the uncapped year. As far as the lockout in 2011, I'd imagine any pledged draft picks would be carried over to the following draft. If Clemens were taken in 2010 as an RFA, I'm sure we'd get compensated eventually.

6. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

"It's a shame, because I would have liked to see Sanchez get a year to learn, but the only thing to do now is hope that people are patient with #6 as he gets thrown into the fire. "

Unfortunately he was drafted by the Jets and their fans have zero patience. (ie. D'Brick -- D'Bust)

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

if there is a lockout, which looks like its going to happen, its going to fuck up sanchez's progress.

8. NYJetsMan7

NYJetsMan7 Member

Definately would need to bring in a veteran QB though ..you think we pluck simms away from denver to back up?

9. Don

I just can't believe for a second that in this economy they won't get a new agreement in place. Can you imagine what might happen with PSLs if there is no season? Cowboys, Giants, Jets..whoever else might have lawsuits to fight for years to come so they won't be in favor of it. The NFL will never be the same if they let it go that far.

10. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

What he said. My feelings exactly.

11. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

Wrong decision IMHO. But it is a ballsy decision by Ryan. Basically if Sanchez comes out and throws Pick Sixes and can't move the O - its all on Ryan.

12. Section 227. Row 5

WOW. Good point don, I never considered that.

I'm imagining the Jets have an out in small print should this occur. The PSL gives you the right to purchase tickets (when available, and for any home games played). If tickets are not available because of legalities, the Jets' position will probably be, "Sorry about that. See you next season!"

Talk about some pissed off people...

13. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Dude, ur crazy. What did u see from KC? Sure, Dirty had a bad start, but even in his int, he apparently showed pocket presence. The pressure made him throw the ball quickly. It was just a bad low pass, nothing to do with the mechanics. A bad low pass won't happen every game.

IMO, the competition probably was slightly in favor of KC, but KC is a 4th yr vet in the same offense, whereas Dirty is only a rookie. KC isn't gonna get much better, while Dirty will only get better over time. Then theres the issue of the pocket change they are getting paid. Wait ... it was only $28million. Nevermind.

14. RunLeonRun

RunLeonRun Active Member

over 50% of people on ESPN voted Jets will win 4-6 games with Sanchez as QB.

What one national TV performance can do!

If Sanchez played the Rams on ESPN the majority would be 7-9 wins

15. ........

........ Trolls

I agree completely. I'm holding out hope for an agreement to be reached on a new CBA, which would be in the interest of both sides ultimately, but never underestimate the power of greed. I won't be surprised to see a lockout. When it comes down to it, the people I know with sports owner type money, with one exception, are completely blind to the realistic concerns of the real world.

16. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

If the lockout completely disrupts the PSL process, then I'm all for it happening. I've said it before but with the biggest markets having trouble selling tickets and PSLs, I would not be too surprised if the NFLPA starts talking about striking for 2010. They're not going to make enough in 2011 to recover the costs of the stadiums so that could be a major bargaining chip for the players' union.

17. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

If that happens, we follow the plan. Most of the great QBs go through a rough rookie season and I won't be too disappointed if Dirty does too. But I think he'll do an OK job to say the least. As much as I've heard about him and saw him, I think he can lead this team to playoffs by next yr. He's a rookie, and was almost even against a 4th yr vet in the competition --- Enough said.

18. Section 227. Row 5

It's all on Ryan anyway if Clemens were to come out and throw Pick Sixes.

But I'm not even so sure it's a ballsy decision on Ryan's part. It's the decision he had to make and it may be the "safest" and most logical decision. Clemens has just not distanced himself enough as the frontrunner to warrant the start. All things being equal and given the fact that neither QB looks ahead of one another to any great degree, you have to trust that the guy who came into camp a stone cold rookie 4 weeks ago has more promise than the guy who's been in the system for 4 years.

Looked at in that way, the decision isn't ballsy at all, it's clearly the easiest and most logical one.

19. BLITZKRIEG

BLITZKRIEG New Member

I think it's a smart decision starting Sanchez game one. He's proven to be no worse than K. Clemens at this stage, so why not give him the job to see how he handles it?? He'll likely only improve with the experience, and the Jets really have nothing to lose considering how poorly Clemens has looked / played....

Side note : As for the Jets trading for Marshall, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that one happening. Marshall may not be happy in Denver right now, and he may be asking for a trade, but it really doesn't matters what he wants. Ultimately, it's the Broncos organization that decide's what happens to him, not Marshall himself. Until the Broncos officially start fielding offers for Marshall, {which hasn't happened yet}, it's basically a mute point in my opinion. It's not happening, at least not this year...

~BK~

20. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Not a bad idea there, but we would be handing them a starter (for Broncos). I'd take KC over that ex bears QB. I guess a 2nd at most and KC should be good enough for Marshal and Simms. They get the ex Bears QB as a good backup, we get Simms as an ok backup. They get a second, we get a starting WR.