It's Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ScotsJet, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am not sure how much more of our designated starter we are going to see in the remaining preseason games.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nothing after this week I would think.

3. Big Blocker

I understand your point, but let's not overstate it. Up until this morning many here thought it was not all that easy a decision that Ryan faced. And Sanchez was a high pick.

I agree that the recent events have not raised Clemens's trade value, but I would not go so far as saying he has none.

4. Big Blocker

Yep, and even this week maybe not even the whole first quarter.

5. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The odds on Clemens turning into anything at this point are really long. You have to go back to 1968 to find a really good QB taken in the mid second round (Stabler). Having a change of scenery would help him a bit but even the guys drafted in that area who succeeded after switching teams (Plummer mainly) had also shown a good bit more than Clemens has with their first team.

Clemens is a backup QB at best at this point, and he really doesn't have the characteristics (steadiness and accuracy) that make for a good backup QB.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

What makes you think that, other then he is a Jet and Orton is not? Clemens has had 4 years to pick up a playbook and win the starter job and hasn't been able to do it. Yet you are so confident that he can go into Denver and within two weeks pick up their system and win the starting job? Yeah ok..

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Paragraph #1 makes so much sense to me that I disagree with Paragraph #2. I'm not for using Clemens as bait for a WR. He has very little value to anyone but us now and we're not going to sweeten many WR deals by giving him away for nothing. Get a WR, but do not use Clemens in the trade. If Sanchez goes down we'd be screwed.

8. Section 227. Row 5

That's okay, he'll still be taking 100% of the snaps in practice and applying them to those games, starting today.

9. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

im expecting more of a 4-12 or a 5-11 season now fellas...so get ready, you all are going to hate on him throughout the season

10. Section 227. Row 5

I know that's conventional thinking but I'd have no problem giving Sanchez several series in each of the remaining 2 preseason games, behind the 1st team O-line, that is.

Ryan isn't such a conventional thinker, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him do that, just sayin'....

11. Section 227. Row 5

Thank you for your expectations.

12. Don

We basically shipped off Pennington to Miami about this time last year (even though we dropped him to do it). He was the best backup we had to Favre and the winner of last year's "competition". We have done it before. We can bet that Clemens walks at the end of the year now anyway. We won't be giving him any sort of contract nor would he want one. Anything we could be would be a plus.

13. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Sanchez goes down we're screwed regardless of who the backup QB is. We've invested a lot in him and he's either going to put us over the top or drag us to the bottom - in 2010.

I'd rather have Ainge as the backup. Clemens has instilled no confidence in me (or his teammates either is my guess) that he can come in in a pinch and lead the team well. Sometimes it's better to have too little information instead of having a lot of negative feedback. Ainge is too little but what we know about Clemens is negative at this point and based not on a small body of work.

14. Don

Some were already expecting that before the decision was made.

15. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Definitely. I just hope that whatever happens in the ensuing months that the organisation get behind him (always) and the fans are patient with him.

16. 73klecko

73klecko Member

You can say that all you want, the fact is he outplayed Clemens.

17. 73klecko

73klecko Member

completely agree!

18. warpedsoul

warpedsoul Active Member

Just remember guys, Peyton Manning set the NFL record for INT's in a season his rookie year. Now look at the guy.

I'm not saying that Sanchez is the next Manning, but lets not get out our pitch forkes and torches if he has a few bad games.

19. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

Anyone who honestly believed that Ryan was having a tough time making the decision wasn't being very honest with themselves. Sanchez was the starter for the New York Jets the day Ryan attended his pro day.

Clemens has zero value, save as a backup somewhere.

Welcome aboard. Expect to hear it. I was saying 4 wins weeks ago. Of course, I was predicting under the forgone conclusion that Sanchez was going to be the starter.

It's a growing pains year, and that's alright by me. I just hope Jets fans don't ruin this kid when he doesn't blow the doors off this year.

20. 73klecko

73klecko Member

LOL. I was thinking the same thing. Ridiculous trade suggestion.