17a New Stadium Tour - PSL's, NEW STADIUM STUFF GO HERE

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

None of them expected the drop in the economy when they started this project a couple of years ago, not this steep, anyway. In some defense of Woody, he didn't have the option to stay put because Giants Stadium isn't his and the Giants decided to knock it down. Add to that the NYC politicians fucked him and I'm not sure what else he was supposed to do. Staying at the Meadowlands made the most sense, but they've overpriced themselves, at least it seems like it right now.

2. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

227 well said------------hey Terp I will bet you right here and now that you are correct that all club seats will be sold by 2010-------but I will bet you and anyone else right here and now that they won't be sold for the prices that they are asking! I only wonder how badly people are going to feel that laid out money for PSL'S and club seats when the guy or gal next to them got them at a discount? time will tell how this plays out

3. JetsSec337Lot13B

You got your non PSL seats but what about the other 53,000? Someone like me who has 1991 is on the fence if I can stay upstairs or not. If I don't get in I'll be bitter very bitter. The difference though is that most teams PSLs are cheaper, have an agreement of what percent the price of tickets can go up, and give you rights to purchase to tickets to other events in that stadium which you can sell to help bring down the cost of your PSL.

4. JetsSec337Lot13B

Wish I read this before I wrote my response. Well said. Something else to note. The Giants $5k endzone PSLs also include the goal line which are 10k for us. Their sidelines are also 10k ours are 15k. The best one is the additional club seats in I believe section 139 with a $20 or $25k PSL and $650gameday price and the Giants are $15 or $20k and $160 ticket price.

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Yes, but unfortunately for Woody Johnson, what he decided to charge is more than what the market will bear.

6. JetsSec337Lot13B

People keep comparing this situation to the Yankees. The one thing not brought up is the Yankees do have affordable options. $20 for upper deck seats, $14 for bleachers. I know football is only a 10 game season so I understand that the ticket prices will be more but $120 for an upper deck seat for football vs $20 for an upper deck seat for baseball. Even the upper deck for this new stadium is absurd with the prices. I will get uppers if I have the option because I want to be with the die hards upstairs but I don't know how much more of a ticket price I can afford.

7. Hofstra Jet

Hofstra Jet Active Member

There will be die hards all over the stadium. Some Die Hard fans will be sitting in the mezz, and lowers. I dont understand why everyone says that die hards will only be in the UD. Yes, I understand that they have good enough seniority for UD, and they have stuck around the team for a while, but there are new fans, younger fans that will choose to sit in the PSL area seats. It doesnt make them any less of a fan.

8. Section 227. Row 5

While it's wrong to label or generalize assumptions about any group or section, I think most contributors to this thread feel that way about the UD because they see a lot of the old-time diehards going up there and the corporate suits filling the Mezz and Lower bowl as a result of companies buying the PSLs and using them as company perks.

Of course, this is not the case across the board and there will be many, many exceptions, but the general perception has been that Joe Average doesn't have the wherewithall to pony up (as in my case) $30,000 for 4 PSLs + $400 per seat ($1600 per game). So yeah, I've been in my seats for 25 years and had the seniority to move upstairs PSL free, and I guess that makes me one of the diehards in the UD.

I'm not saying that the folks in the Lower and Mezz sections are any less of a fan than I am, but because of the expense involved in those PSLs, the possibility does exist that many families have been evicted and replaced with corporate out-of-towners who are probably half-assed, general NFL fans at best and not necessarily Jets fans.

I think that's where the perception comes in about the diehards in the Uppers, and to some extent, for now, I have to agree with the generalization.

9. JetsSec337Lot13B

I don't know if you got this younger fans with PSLs in the lower areas from JI but I don't think the lower levels will fill up. I'm 29 years old and all of my friends say they'd rather spend their money toward a down payment on a house or something else. Besides the $4k and maybe $5k PSLs the rest of the stadium will be corporate.

Maybe I think different but if I'm going for an endzone seat I might as well sit in the uppers. $1200 plus another $375 in finance charges = $1575 vs $950 for the upper endzone. I could take the $625 in savings and do much better things with it.

10. bigmehl

bigmehl New Member

There's no way casual or non-fans will be buying the 4K , 5k and probably even the 10 and 15K PSL seats. I would estimate at least 10-15% of the season ticket holders today are probably non jet fans or very casual fans , PSL's will definitely weed this group out.

In addition what incentive do corporations have these days to buy them as well - its not like your getting anything for those seats other than admission. So in reality for these seats I'd have to say you'll see less out of towners and more true Jet Fans than before. And as a owner of a PSL you really would have to think twice about selling those single game tickets to any Joe off the street.

Wheere your agrument holds water is with the club PSL and high end seats. There I'd agree they have a larger chance of being scooped up by a corporation and sold/given away as perks to clients due to the "cushy" club entitlements.

Personally,I'm sick of going to the games and feeling like a road team with so many opposoing fans of the other team. The last Steelers game was a complete and utter embarrasment. IMO the PSL's are good for one thing , and that is , it will foster a fan base that really wants to be there - all the pretenders will be gone albeit for those club seats where probably 50% or more will be sitting in the bars or clubs all day , especially in cold weather.

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Jets are now offering half-season season tickets for this year. Starting to think there could be blackouts if somebody doesn't step up.

12. terps56

terps56 New Member

You misunderstood me. I said that the club seats will NOT sell out. I agree 100% that the Jets will be lowering the prices on the Club seats. But the non-Club PSL seats will be sold out without reduction in price by opening day 2010

13. terps56

terps56 New Member

I disagree. But we will both know the answer for certain on opening day 2010.

14. Section 227. Row 5

I completely disagree with the above statement. My thinking is 100% opposite.

I sit in the stands... been doing it for 40 years, although only as a season ticketholder for the past 25. But my point is, I see who comes to the games. There are many Jets fans there, and I've been seeing many of the same faces for the past 25 years. Families, mostly, with 4 or 6 season tickets, a lot like my situation. But there are also blocks of seats that are obviously owned by some company somewhere... different people in them just about every week. They're often empty too, but I've noticed that when they are full, there might only be a Jets fan or two in them and the rest ore Bears fans, Browns fans, whatever... or just wearing a Yankees hat and not declaring what the hell they are. They're corporate seats used for perks.

You ask, "What incentive do corporations have these days to buy them?" Plenty. The Internal Revenue Service has not eliminated "Travel and Entertainment" expenses or "Sales Expense" as a deduction that I'm aware of. They still have the right to take clients to dinner, to a play, and even to a football game. They also have the right to use the tickets as an incentive for potential purchasers of their products. This is all business expense and totally, 100% deductable from the top line, their total gross income. By reducing their taxable income, they pay far less taxes, so it pays to buy some PSLs, for example, and throw them around. "Hey Charlie, can I increase your order to 10,000 widgets if I can get you 4 tickets to the Jet-Patriots on Sunday?" The economy is holding back PSL sales true, but that will only be temporary.

So who are these people from Des Moines, in town to be wined and dined and to fill out that order for the 10,000 widgets? Are they Jets fans? Not likely, and I highly doubt it "will foster a fan base that really wants to be there." On the contrary.

But hey, I could be wrong. Maybe you're right, but only time will tell. I just think it will be a huge step in the wrong direction. When it's all over, we'll have far less true Jets fans in the stadium and far more no shows or worse, people from New England in town for the convention who just happened to score 4 tickets from their Widget sales rep.

15. bowleggedwonder

The number one determinant of how many Jets fans will be at home games is the record. If we're 1-3, things will get ugly. Partially it's because we live in the greatest market in the country and we have other things to do with our lives, as opposed to Steeler Fans.

Still, there will be a far greater percentage of season tickets sold to corporations than before, which has the potential of making home games anything but.

If the Jets are good, then Jet fans and casual NY football fans will grab those seats as corporate perks and you'll see a solid wave of green. If the Jets stink, the only takers are going to be fans of opposing teams.

And once the Bills, Pfins and Patriot fans find out how cheap and easy it is to get tickets to see their team play at our "house", they will be coming in droves. Hell, if you lived in Buffalo, you would look for every excuse to get out of town too.

Short term, it's going to be get a lot worse before it gets better.

On the other hand, football wise, the move to get Sanchez is looking better and better as Clemens throws interceptions with more regularity than Milk of Magnesia

16. JetsSec337Lot13B

I honestly think we'll have more opposing fans than ever. Here's my reasoning:

If we can't sell an $80 lower level endzone ticket for this season how can we increase the ticket price by 50% and then have a $5k PSL on top of that? I'm willing to bet we don't sell out for this season. When that happens tickets hit ticketmaster for the general public to buy. You know Pats and Dolphins fans will be the first ones to jump on ticketmaster for those tickets.

The other issue is that our lower level PSLs are more money than the Giants. Let's be realistic the Jets crowd is more of a blue collar crowd who won't spend boatloads of money on tickets and PSLs. Ticket brokers won't either. As a result either those seats will either sit empty or if a big name team comes into town their fans will go to ticketmaster and scoop those tickets up.

Let's also look at it corporate wise. I remember a few years ago at my taiglate party some guy showed up that had luxury box seats. His clients never showed up and he invited me down since he enjoyed eating and drinking with us. Point being who will corporate be more likely to get PSLs and club seats for Jets or Giants?

I know I sound very negative in this post and this whole thing is going to be an embarassment in 2010. I have been a diehard and haven't missed a game and hope that this all doesn't happen but I'm just being realistic. I will hopefuly be in the new stadium but I just think that Woody took a fan base that has been on the decline and nose dived it into the ground.

17. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i agree with 337 in that if i owned a company i would rather pay the giants than the jets for the tickets as people want to see the older franchise that plays the cowboys and eagles.

the other thing is if this place does at some point fill up and become popular and as a fan you go and spend more than you can really afford you will be very hard pressed not to try and get rid of some of the tickets for profit. if you could make half of a season worth of tickets because the cowboys are coming to town and you really cant afford the tickets or the psl payments every year you are far more likely to sell those tickets. granted you wont get shit for buffalo or cleveland, but those patriots, steelers, dolfags, cowboys, bears... etc tickets could end up in the wrong hands MORE often than they already are.

and on top of that remember how many tickets that woodrow has ALREADY sold to ticket brokers in the upper deck. fuckin scumbag woody.

18. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Terp if I misunderstood you I stand corrected.
    On another note
    I called the Jets last week after my cousin had told me that he was offered seaon tickets (full season) at a discounted price, the price he was told was $1280 for 2 seats. I was told that I had the wrong info and that they "were not offerring discounts that I must have meant the half season ticket sales and that I probably misunderstood"
    Well I just got an e-mail that the JETS sent out that I wish I could somehow post, with the 2 half game packages being offered for a 15 percent discount and FULL SEASON PACKAGES being offered at a 20 perscent discount (which is exactly what my cousin was offered) . I would call the Jets right now to see what they tell me but I just don't have the head for it and am too damn hot:drunk:

19. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member

i got that shit too.
    sorry already paid full price,go fuck yourself.

20. 17a_tailgater

17a_tailgater Active Member