The countdown is on - Rod Boone

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetFanInMD, Jul 20, 2009.

1. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

The countdown is on

Although we're 11 days from the Jets officially taking the field for the start of training camp up in lovely Cortland, the rookies are scheduled to report exactly a week from today. Can you feel the buildup?

That means summer vacation is almost over for the likes of Shonn Green and coverboy quarterback Mark Sanchez, who's been hitting the workouts hard with trainer Todd Norman of The Cutting Edge to help prepare for his first season in the NFL. Sanchez is about to embark on his journey to prove the Jets did the right thing in moving up to select him in April's draft and giving him the richest contract in the franchise's history.

Apparently, Sean Payton's thinks the Jets have a solid franchise QB in Sanchez. Payton, no stranger to how things work in this city since he's a former Giants' offensive coordinator, likes what he's seeing from first-year coach Rex Ryan and the New Orleans Saints coach believes the Jets are playoff bound.

Wonder if Payton penned that column before Calvin Pace's suspension was announced. If not, then there's more reason for optimism Jets fans.

-* Speaking of Pace, I was channel surfing recently one day and stumbled upon Keyshawn Johnson filling in as a guest host on ESPN's "Jim Rome is Burning." Johnson, author of "Just Give Me the Damn" and never one to hold off on giving his opinion, took a small dig at the Jets' outside linebacker and others who've claimed they took an over-the-counter supplement and weren't aware it contained a banned substance.

Johnson did this, of course, while also pumping himself up.

"I don't get it," Johnson said July 3, the day after Pace's suspension was announced. "After all these years and all the media scrutiny, guys are still not paying attention. I have no idea why players would use this to get an edge. It's simple: lift weights, run, work out and eat right. Why would you put your body at risk. I was too afraid something would go wrong to take this type of a chance. Being the best at my position or even the best in the league isn't worth the risk. It does nothing for you but make you look like a big strong fool. But I guess you would say you didn't know what you were taking or you didn't read the box. Oh well."

-* The title of this post also refers to our new blog look. It was supposed to go down today, but has been pushed back until tomorrow so I'm told. There will be plenty of new bells and whistles to implement once we get more familiar with some of the new toys we'll have at our disposal.

2. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

All these reports of Sanchez putting in the effort really is encouraging, at least for the long haul.

3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

his work ethic and drive is comparable to players who go on to have long careers in the NFL.

that's what makes me think this team will be ok in the long run.

4. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Sanchez has everything you could want in the face of the franchise off the field. It's just a matter if he'll deliever on Sundays.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Mark Sanchez has big hands. This is a true fact.

6. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

was that news?

7. abyzmul

This is the offseason. It's what passes for news.

8. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

I thought it was uplifting. Didn't realize it had to be earth-shaking to post here.

Just think, Rexy-baby hasn't lost a game yet!

9. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

It's definitely good to hear about Sanchez working out.

At this level, many of the players have similar amounts of talent. Often, the ones that separate themselves from the rest are those who work harder and have a good head on their shoulders. As of now, it appears Sanchez has both.

10. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

this reminded me of when herm won that last game against the bills,: 'just remember, you guys are undefeated in 2006.' a lot of good that did him and the team.

11. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

This is a bit of an inside joke between myself and a number of purple birds fans at the office. I keep reminding them that Rex hasn't lost a game.

Don't take it too seriously. It is all in fun.

12. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

of course, i am kidding. just allowed me to poke fun at herm.

13. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Yeah, most rookies one week away from camp are not working out. He's amazing. Please, he is a gym rat and seems mature beyond his years. but 99% of the rookies are working hard.

14. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I don't think think that is necessarily true. Think about. You just got done with a grueling college season. No time for fun; you've got to prepare for the combine. Combine's over, get ready for your pro day. Pro day's over, draft just went down, go and meet your boss, coaches, teammates, etc. After that, make sure you're in shape for OTA's. This little gap in between OTA's and training camp is pretty much the last opportunity these men have 20-24 year olds have to be a normal young person. They sure as hell won't be able to do it during training camp, pre-season, regular season, or possibly playoffs.

It's a grueling schedule for a young professional.

15. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

Agreed. Not to mention, Sanchez isn't just another rookie. Without sounding like a bromosexual, Sanchez has a lot of shit thrown his way because of his looks, poster-boy appeal, etc. For him to act as mature and dedicated as he has says a lot. If he can continue this attitude, he'll be on his way.

16. supersonic

supersonic Well-Known Member

Yep and all QB's with big hands have big QB ratings, right?

17. abyzmul

Only the ones that use dump off passes with startling frequency.

18. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I was into the article until I had to swallow Me-shawn Johnson's remarks. Why does that guy think anyone gives a shit what he says?

19. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Keyshawn Johnson, Guest Host.

Heh.

20. abyzmul

The same reason people listen to what Charles Barkley says. He's loud, stupid, and pisses people off.