ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Ok give us there coaching staffs as well.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

He set them up for a TD, something the Jets offense didn't have in the Steelers game. If they had scored a TD and everything else remained the same they win in regulation.

Pennington also setup Pitt with a TD with his INT in that game.

I guess it's dumb to try and project these things though.

#762 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He also gave it back w/ that INT so they cancelled each other out.

4. WhiteShoeWillis

Pennington also threw an INT setting up a Pitt TD.

5. WhiteShoeWillis

You're the one who began the speculation! You said that putting Rothlisberger on any of the Jets playoff loss teams would have also resulted in a loss and declared it a fact based on stats. Unfortunately the stats don't show how he setup a TD run with a timely pass at a critical point in the game.

Your "facts" are as speculative as mine.

Fact: Rothlisberger setup the Steelers with a TD with that ONE play.
    Fact: The Jets offense did not score a TD vs. the Steelers in the playoff game in 2004.
    Fact: The Jets went to overtime against the Steelers.
    Fact: If the Jets had scored one more point and everything else remained the same they win that game.
    Fact: Rothlisberger threw an INT that setup a SEA TD.
    Fact: Pennington threw an INT that setup a Pitt TD.

edit: More fun facts:
    Fact: The Steelers had a very strong defense and running game for years prior to drafting a play making QB in Rothlisberger.
    Fact: That core of Steelers players hadn't won a championship prior to Rothlisberger arriving.
    Fact: The Steelers have won 2 championships since acquiring a playmaking QB in Rothlisberger.

Because stats always tell the whole story, especially in football. :rolleyes:

#765 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Who is the "us" you are referencing? I, for one, have nothing to do with this godforsaken franchise and would never use the terms "we" or "us" to associate myself with the Jets. I'm not on their payroll.

Okay, so you say if the QB stayed healthy, the 2004 Jets would have made it to the conference title game. I can say, "Well, if Reggie Tongue doesn't return an interception 86 yards for a touchdown..."

You said if the kicker converted one of two makeable field goal attempts, the god-like Herman Edwards would have catapulted his team to the conference title game. I can turn around and say, "Well, if Santana Moss didn't return a punt 75 yards for a touchdown..."

Stick to the facts, please. Leave the "what ifs" for the dreamers.

The facts indicate that Edwards was an adequate head coach, nothing more. His W-L-T record is not scintillating and he did not take teams particularly far in the playoffs.

7. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Far more accurate than a bitter Jet fan trying to convince others that one players is all any football team needs to win or lose in the post season.

8. WhiteShoeWillis

Here is the master of avoidance at work again. I only responded to you today because I was bored as hell at work, but you're back to your same routine.

Avoid everything in my post that discounted your statement and apply a statement to me that I've never said or agreed with (making shit up). Same story another day.

You're a terrible poster. I'll stop clicking the "view post" button.

9. Quack

Quack New Member

I believe the term is "straw man argument".

10. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Nothing in your posts are worth wasting time on especially your warped view of reality.

Football = team sport!

11. nyjunc

You are correct but Ben had another INT that ruined a good drive. They had 1st and 10 at midfield and he threw an INT ruining that drive. Chad only had the one turnover.

I agree about Ben, to me he's #2 behind Brady and he gets way too much criticism for SB XL when he was great in leading them there and they still won the game(If that was Peyton they'd have given him the SB MVP award) BUT:

-Chad's kicker misssed not one but TWO makeable FGs-
    -The jets were on the road against a 15-1 team w/ the #3 D in PA and 4 in YA.
    -Ben was playing in a dome againast the 7th in PA and 16th in YA defense.
    -Ben threw a 2nd INT which may have cost them more points
    -Chad was playing w/ a torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder.

Both were bad, ben was worse.

Well I do have something to do w/ the franchise so it's "we" or "us" to me.

I didn't say they would have won that game if his QB stayed healthy. We lost '03 and '05 plus he was hurt in '04, in one of those years OR if our K makes one of 2 makeable FGs I think he gets US to a Conf title game.

You can use those ifs from that game but I'd rather have taken my chances losing those 2 plays and having a healthy Chad than the other way around.

He was much more than an adequate HC, Mangini was an adequate HC.

His W-L record is deceiving b/c of the QB injuries. In years he had healthy QBs his record was 29-19, in the 2 years he had healthy QB problems(and more) his record was 10-22.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

The difference is how many points each QB lead the offense to. Points are what is important and Ben's big play was crucial in the Pitt TD. If the Jets O had scored a TD and all things remained equal they would have won. To me that's the key difference. For you it seems the key difference is the INT.

Of course it's silly to project replacing one QB's performance w/another because all things certainly would not have remained equal.

He had a bad overall game but made a huge game changing play that put points on the board.

We disagree on who was worse. End of story.

#772 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  13. nyjunc

They scored on a long TD run and a trick play outside of his TD run. Ben helped them score 7, gave up 7 and prevented them from scoring another 3-7.

It wasn't a game changing play. it was a great play, it wasn't game changing. it was too early. The Parker run and WR pass were game changing plays that Seattle couldn't overcome.

There are other factors you need to account for.

Chad's team was a big underdog on the road, ben's was the favorite indoors at a neutral site filled w/ Steeler fans.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

Of course their are many other factors and all the points you made are fair, but I'm trying to pull one individual performance out and replace it with another. I mean obviously that's something that could never be done, but if you were to do it you'd have to separate the individual performance from most of the things you're pointing out.

Chad helped the Jets score 3 and gave up 7. Ben contributed to more points for the Steelers. That's all I'm saying.

#774 WhiteShoeWillis, Jul 2, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  15. nyjunc

I understand and I thank you for conducting yourself the way you have in this debate.

16. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

You've gotta be kidding with this bullshit...

I guess stats should be discredited for all NFC players too.

17. nyjunc

The NFC was awful outside of maybe a team or 2. There's no doubt we make at least a title game or 2 if not a SB if we played in that weak conf this decade but those are the breaks. I'm sure NFC teams felt the same way in the 80s and 90s.

18. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Herm Edwards had a lossing record against the NFC as HC of the NYJ.

19. WhiteShoeWillis

lol

20. nyjunc

0-4 in 2003
    1-3 in 2005

In the non-QB injury years he led us to a an 8-3 record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.