ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

I think what I said was Ben played awful in the SB against the Seahwaks. His stats would backup that opinion. That's all I said about Ben. I'm still trying to get you to acknolwdge Ben actuall had a team and coaching staff around him, you refuse, that makes you look bad.

2. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Without good coaching and a great defense, Ben doesn't have a SB win against the Seahwaks! That is why this is a team sport. Something many Jet fans here refuse to accept...that is, when they talk about Pennington.

3. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Joe Montana was a playmaker and lifted his game big time in the playoffs. His playoff stats were better against better comp than his great regular season stats. He was a huge pressure moment player and a playmaker. He had a good not great arm was highly mobile had a fairly quick release the best anticipation in the pocket of anybody and threw well on the move. Not Chad Pennington by a mile.

Montana also played against better over all competition in the playoffs. There were very few cake walks in the early rounds when he was the 49er's QB. That's one of the reasons he is in the argument as the GOAT.

By the way as you probably know Montana had a killer game in the SB against the Marino lead Dolphins where he bitch slapped your D all over the field threw for 9.5 YPA and 3 TD's and 330 yards. Game manager my ass.

#743 winstonbiggs, Jul 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2009
  4. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

I also posted Chads stats and what I saw in those stats was a QB that played well enough in all the playoff games not to be the single reason for any of the loses. I foucus on the Pittsburgh SB win because it shows how teams win "AS A TEAM". The QB is not the only player on the field, obviously by looking at Bens stats in the SB VS the Seahawks Ben was a hige weakness for the Steelers, but the Defense and other key players like Antwan Randal el, Hines Ward and Jarome Bettis helped pick up the slcak that was so prvelant in Bens game in that SB. Ben was the very last person in that team responsible for that SB victory, yet he gets the praise for the win as a 2 time SB winner. Ben gets the credit for the success of the team. He did little that game to earn that credit. Stop pretending Ben is great because he has great team around him.

I think Ben is a very good QB, I think he can be elite at times. However I also think he's got a great team around him which allows him to look better than he actually is.

5. winstonbiggs

Ben is one of the top 5 QB's in the game right now and the best player on a very good Pittsburgh team who outright carried a beat up Offense this year against the toughest schedule in the league.

The Steelers O without Ben threatens no one and doesn't make it out of the first round if they make it to the playoffs at all.

6. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

No one is saying he is the single reason. He played poorly and/or didn't make enough plays to put up points though. Chad playing poorly contributes to the team losing.

I think you missed the point WB made about Ben being a playmaker and Chad being a game manager. Ben has always made big game changing plays against the best teams in the playoffs. So while his stat line looks shitty, he has made the big plays at critical moments to put points on the board.

Of course that Pitt team around him is excellent and the reason he was in a position to make those crucial plays. Again, you need to separate looking at an individual performance from giving all the credit/blame.

How many superbowls did they win before he arrived? He does have a great team around him, no doubt. It took someone who could make the clutch plays at critical moments to put them over the hump.

7. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Are you ever going to acknowledge this as a team sport? Cause everytimne you psot something it's about giving credit to one player or knocking one player based on results and final scores. Joe Montana likely wouldn't have multiple SB rings if it weren't for the likes of Jerry Rice, Roger Craig , Bill Walsh, Ronnie Lott, Russ Fransis, Randy Cross just to name a few.
    You need to stop making everything that involves post season success and failure in the NFL about one player. Cause it doesn't work that way.

8. winstonbiggs

One player doesn't win all those SB but one player particularly the QB does make a differnce between winning big and not. While there are exceptions, great teams are usually lead by great QB's.

If you're arguing that those guys with a lesser QB would have all those rings, I would say you're dead wrong.

9. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Neither did Ben in the SB against Seattle, but like I've been saying since day one Ben had an outstanding coaching staff and players around him to pick up the slack and win an important game. It's why this is a team sport and why teams that play like a team are always more successful than those teams that don't, especially in the post season. Take Ben and his SB stats agaisnt the Seahwaks and put him in a Jets uni for any of the playoff games Chad played as a Jet and Ben wouldn't have won any of those games.

10. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Again, not true. As I've already proven with Bens stats. Teams win big games occasionally because of one player, but consistent big game winners win because they have a team that wins.

Look at the Redskins, all the SB's in the 80's with different QB's, but all with winning results, why? Becuase of good coaching and lots of talnet. You can keep trying to make it about one player, but this is and always will be a team sport, without a good team you're not going to be very successful, especially in the post season, I don't care who the QB is.

11. WhiteShoeWillis

Again, without Ben making the biggest play of the game the Steelers don't win.

That terrible Superbowl performance by Ben would have put us in the AFC championship in '04. I know that.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

The only thing you've "proven" is that you can copy and paste stats.

13. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Swap QB's in the 2004 playoff matchup and the Jets, not the Steelers, are in the AFCC.

14. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Nothing in that post has one shred of fact to it. It's just speculation. You have no idea if the Steelers win or lose that game without that ONE play.

The quote above is mind-boggling, to say the least.

Let me break down what you just said, Bens,

9/23 123 yards 0 TD's and 2 INT's (numbers in the SB VS Seattle 2006)

would have gotten the Jets into the 2004 AFC championship game where Chads,

21/33 182 yards 0 TD's and 1 INT (numbers in the AFC divisional playoff game VS Oakland 2004)

.......Couldn't?

After reading that bias sentence, to say one Jet fan is despreatly clinging to the hate for one former Jet player would be a gross understatement!

15. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

I see, do the Raiders magically give back the 30 points they score or are you going to pretend the Jets Defense is better magically?

16. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Yes, stas that are real, unlike speculation and opinion.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

No it wouldn't have. Chad wasn't good in '04 but he didn't cost us. Ben doesn't make the kicks for us. That 3rd and long was big but it was still the 2nd qtr and they were only down 3-0 so therew was plenty of time in the game to overcome that had they had to punt in that situation. The biggest plays of the game were the willie Parker TD run and the Ward TD rec.

Ben also threw an INT at the Sea 7 which was returned deep into Pitt territory and set up Sea's only TD. Ben was awful in that game but they don;t get there w/o his great play prior to that game.

18. winstonbiggs

Don't think so, Ben kept us in the game with some very bad play. He was a rookie and played like one. Chad would have won that game with Pitt that day.

19. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Give the Jets the 85 Bears defense and the 07 Patriots offense and we win that game.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

herm/hackett would have found a way to lose it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.