ProFootball Weekly 2009 Preview... Jets dead last

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Petrozza, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Here's the newflash. If you don't split with the Patriots, it wouldn't matter if you won 5 games, 8 games, 10 games, or even 11 games. The Patriots would've still won the Division.

There's nothing to twist on the Jets season. We were hot in the middle of the season and we sucked big time down the stretch. Mostly because our Coaching staff sucked. Brett was playing hurt. Our WR's couldn't get separation. Jenkins (who was a huge part of our defense) got worn down. Hell, if it wasn't for a shit load of luck against the Bills the 2nd time around, the Miami game at the end of the season wouldn't have mattered. Just because we got the strip of the ball and Ellis ran that TD in, I'm not going to say, "The Coaching Staff came thru for us that game" because we really didn't do shit defensively. The Bills were running the ball at will. So, I call it luck.

At least I call it how I see it. I won't hold my breath waiting for you to do the same.

2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The Miami game didn't matter anyway as even if we had won we wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Yes, very necessary to get us out of the winningest era in Jets history. it's fans like you that don't deserve a winner(especially since you are a Giants fan first).

3. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I don't know which way you're trying to argue this. But yes. 4 TD's happened in 1 game. The other 4 happened in 12 games.

4 TD's in a game that later on went to decide their season sounds pretty impactful. And that's the point I'm trying to bring out.

4. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

That's right. Patriots fans cheering for us to win that game.

5. nyjunc

The WC helped them w/o question but acting like it was THE reason they won is silly. It was part of why they won the division, yeah you can say w/o the WC against NE the first time they played they wouldn't have won the div but you can also say w/o the success in their base offense most of the year they never would have been in position to be a playoff team.

6. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Talk to FTP. According to him, the WC did little to nothing to win the 1st Patriots game or the Division overall.

See, if the Dolphins had beaten the Patriots their 1st time around using the base O and broke out the WC a week later, I wouldn't be making this argument at all. I'm only going by the W/L history both teams have had in the last few years. Could the Dolphins have beaten the Pats on any given Sunday? Sure. It could happen. But being that the difference in that game WAS the WC and then it was basically non-existent in their later matchup says to me, the Dolphins took the first game bc of the element of surprise. That seems to be the only difference between their 1st meeting and their 2nd meeting. It just so happened that at the end of the season, it came down to 2 teams with identical records and Miami won it because they had a better Conference record than the Patriots.

I don't know what I'd call that. Coincidence? Luck?

7. nyjunc

I think both sides are exaggerating a bit. The dolphin fan is pretending like it didn't help at all and Jet fans are acting like it was the only reason they had success. It helped them w/o a doubt but it was a part of their success, it wasn't THE reaon for their success.

I think scoring 28 pts w/o the WC being effective in Game 2 tells us alot as well. Had they played D as well(or had Cassell still been struggling) they could have easily beat NE the 2nd time around.

8. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I can partly agree with both notions so we'll leave it at that. Like I said, I'm not holding my breath waiting for the Fins fan to come even remotely close to this same conclusion.

9. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

I see, so if we lose both to the Pats, we wouldn't have won the division? Well whos to say the Pats would have won 11 if they swept us? You can't say we wouldn't have won the division if we didn't split with the Pats than act like the Pats season would have been exactly as it was based on wins. In other words, you can't say "If" about one team and not another. You have no idea how the season would have ended up "if" the Dolphins lost both to the Pats...or are you still trying on Ms.Cloeos dresses?

You're trying to make excpetions for one team an not the other just so you can prove your twisted view of the wildcat win against the Pats. Just stop it, stop trying to twist what was, into what you want it to be. Like I said no game was more relevant than any other we needed 11 wins to win the division regardless of the order.

What if Brett Favre never complets that TD's pass against the Dolphins on that lucky ass give up, just throw it an hope it's caught by a Jet player for a TD? Or What if Chad completes that pass in final play of the game to Ted Ginn for a TD? Miami would have swept the Jets and Bills and split with the Pats giving Miami 12 wins instead of 11 and the Pats wouldn't have mattered. We can play the "if" game all day.

10. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Really? Maybe you can present evidence where I've said the wildcat didn't help the Dolphins at all? Good luck, you'll need it.

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Typical Junc hyperbole comparing an era of complete mediocrity to an era of outright crappy football as if that changes reality.

I don't deserve a winner yet I'm a Giants fan and they are a winner. If you believe you get what you deserve, it appears you're the one that doesn't deserve a winner. At least I know what a winner looks like.

#651 winstonbiggs, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  12. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

What conclusion would that be? To agree with a totally asinine pov that one game the Dolphins used the wildcat and won easily was the main reason the Dolphins won the division? They played the Pats a second time using the wildcat and it didn't help them win that game, Are we to just ignore that fact because it does't fit your warped view of reality?

I can't get over how hard you're trying to make the wildcat something it wasn't. Miami only played the wildcat on offense, why didn't the Pats score on our defense? I guess we're suppose to belive that the Dolphins defense is irrelevant to their success in 08 too right? No, it was ALLLLLL just the WILDCAT, right!!

13. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

At this point I'll take this. It's the best I can hope for and probably the best I'll ever get on this discussion.

Again, you continue to play the 'if' game. I'm not. I'm the facts abt that 1 specific game. And here they are...again. Feel free to point out which one isn't one by the way.

Fact...Patriots have beaten the crap out of the Dolphins in recent years, both at home and away.
    Fact...Dolphins broke out the WC in Week 3, against the Patriots.
    Fact...Patriots defense looked lost on the field and gave up the most yards and points on the season to the Dolphins in that one particular game.
    Fact...The new WC formation rewarded the Dolphins with 28 points out of the 38 scored that day.
    Fact...the split in the series (as well as a better Conference record) happened to help the Dolphins get the edge and win out the Division between the 11-5 Patriots and the 11-5 Dolphins.

I'm not saying what happened in Week 3 was planned to go down as it did. I'm also not playing any 'what if' games. I'm also not saying the WC was used the entire time on every game.

Could the Dolphins have beaten the Pats using their base O? Maybe. Looking back to recent history leads me to believe not. You can think otherwise. It was just a game plan used properly and correctly at the right place at the right time, and it happened to help them win the Division at the end of the season. That's all I'm saying.

14. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Proof????

As for the "Division overall", I said the Pats win was no more important to the division title than any other win in 08. But go ahaead and continue to exaggerate what was really said because you can't stand to be wrong.

15. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Probably won't find one now. You've gone back and re-worded every other post you had on here. Why even bother?

16. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

AGAIN....stop playing the if game IT'S F***ING IRRELEVANT TO THE ACTUAL FACTS!!!

Miami won 11 games and thats why they won their division PLIAN AND SIMPLE!!! You can say IF all day long it doesn't change WHAT IS!!!!!

The Dolphins swept the Bills no less important to the division title than the Pats win, the Dolphins split with the Jets, no less important to the division title than the Pats win. The Dolphins beat Seattle, SF, KC, DEN, San Diego.....NONE LESS IMPORTANT THAN THE PATS GAME AND THE DIVISION TITLE! Goit it?

17. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Whatever, you're simply making excuses.

#657 feelthepain, Jun 29, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  18. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

Huh?!?................

19. feelthepain

feelthepain New Member

Pretty much tells the whole story about your view of this argument.

20. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I see you're still not telling me where I'm wrong in my assumption that the WC had a huge impact on the NE game. A team the Dolphins just so happened to beat out for the Division at the end of the season with similar records.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.