The Ryan Plan Of Trashtalk

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by TurkJetFan, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

You are such a negative nancy. It is getting old. We get it, you expect the team to be mediocre. You have given up already. Thanks for letting us know.

2. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

i prefer to call it realistic. i realistically think this team will have a decent year this year. i realistically think this team IF things work out in a couple of areas has the chance to really do something next year.

sorry if i am not all we are so great every single year and i dont look at a bunch of unknowns with nothing but optimism.

its frustrating for me to see all the homerism and unrealistic thoughts from so many posters every off season. i guess i am not allowed to have an opinion if it isnt as positive as yours.

3. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

While i love his attitude, i'd rather our play on the field speak for us.

4. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

This is where you're missing the point.

Yeah, it would suck to go 7-9; but if we go 7-9 while smacking other teams in the mouth, then Ryan has succeeded in changing the collective attitude.

I can deal with 7-9 if we're playing fast, aggressive football, in which other teams fear and respect us, because that's a strong foundation to build upon.

5. alleycat9

i get you man i just dont see what talking too or about anyone else in the media has to do with playing smash mouth football.

the fact of the matter is that if he is out there talking with his pompoms all summer then many fans will not be realistic and think we are going to be this awe inspiring team this year. then when we are not 11-5 they will label him as a tool. or a shit talker and if the media turns on him it could get very ugly for him.

there is just no benefit to talking about other teams or people or players in the media. it was funny the first time he took an underhanded shot at mangini, but after the 5th one it was old already and now is trash talk.

win with class and everyone will respect you.

talk before winning anything and even if you do win many wont respect you.

6. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Part of what I wrote was simply a play on words. But, it is also true that I think the "Dirty Sanchez" stuff we've seen on this board the past few months is embarrassing. I recall back in early May a well-respected poster (gustoonarmy, I'm pretty sure) who created a thread and instead of writing "Mark Sanchez" or "Sanchez" in the thread title, he wrote "Dirty". I said to myself, "Oh, good grief."

7. The Uniform Bomber

You're right that by talking loud, he's raising the level of expectations from the fans' perspectives.

But I think it's more important that he changes the players' attitudes and styles; and if mouthing off to the media will help accomplish that - which I think it does and you think it doesn't, fine agree to disagree - then it serves a purpose.

Basically, we're in dissent over whether or not his media antics will lead to a different culture, including that of smash mouth football. I think it will because the players will get behind him as he shows he'll speak his mind, speak freely and fearlessly. In my opinion, this will translate to a different style of play on the field. Not everything in football is purely physical; the mental part of the game is connected to the physical part.

8. alleycat9

i agree with everything you have said other than the affect that the media stuff has.

its all good i can agree to disagree, we have both debated our points and come to an impasse. and thats cool with me.

cakes i was actually a little surprised how many people knew what it was. i can understand your point though, its not funny for everyone and when you get hit with it 10 times a day it could get annoying.

9. Gloom N Doom

Gloom N Doom Member

Well said.

10. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

fucking anonymous source my asshole. Damn Bellichik trying to start shit...........

11. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

easy there francis

12. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

There's nothing better than when the Jets come out and just play hard, kick some ass and win the game.

Doesn't happen that often unfortunately. A lot of times the Jets will barely win a game they should have dominated in or will catch an incredibly lucky break here and there and win a game they don't deserve to win. Those wins don't feel good to me. Yeah, a win is a win but I'd like to walk away from a game thinking that the Jets could go somewhere.

I actually wind up feeling a lot better if the Jets come out, give their all, lay some good hits, try a few trick plays but wind up just getting beat by a better team. Losing sucks but, as long as the Jets look like they are trying to win, I'm satisfied.

I feel like Rex is going to at least get us to that last category and his mouth is a big part of that. Mangini had us firmly in the second and often in the category of coming out, not trying and losing and I think his muttering assholeish handling of the media played a part in that too.

Now obviously everyone out on the field is trying. But you need a certain mentality on a team to go out there and KILL and do what you have to do to make the other team pay even if the game is slipping away. There's more to it than trying - you've got to have smart coaching too. I think Ryan brings that too. I'm expecting big things this season.

13. Don Iguana

Don Iguana New Member

There's a recent article on the NYT football blog where they have Brick and Rhodes responding to these issues:
    source - fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/18/rhodes-and-ferguson-support-ryan-and-burress/ (Sorry if it had already been put up)

14. The Uniform Bomber

^ Yes, that's what I've been trying to get at. Ryan's words (privately and publicly) will affect the players' mentality, which should subsequently affect the way they play on Sundays.

15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

change the mentality????

there was a poster last year who wouldn't shut the fuck up about that when the Jets were doing well. He had some sort of food-stadium avatar.

Its nice to know that the HC wants to change the mentality. He can do more than a poster on TGG. Way more.

#35 NDmick, Jun 21, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
  16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

He's a Ryan. His dad did it and I thought he was an ass hole because there was no plan behind it. I think Rex is a smart guy who is very confident and wants his team to be the same way

17. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Who said I was posting all positive opinions? I too called out the talking as just hot air for now. But you are constantly calling Sanchez overrated and overpaid. Yea, maybe because he has not played a down yet, but he could possibly play into the worth of the contract, yet you seem to have some sort of agenda against him already. Give the dude a chance before calling him overrated I would say. Maybe you are having a bad year I don't know, but I read most of your posts as negative is all. Being a Jets fan, you should be used to the offseason optimism that is always there with Jets fans. Just remember the hope of 1999. That was dashed with one Achilles. Such is the life of a Jets fan.

18. cassie96

cassie96 Member

Read the current issue of Sports Illustrated.

There is a good reason that SI put Rex Ryan on the cover for Father's Day. Rex Ryan knows how to play smashmouth football & Rex Ryan has been around NFL football ALL of his life.

As Rob Burnett said, "Coaches are mostly pains in the ass. Rex has a humanity to him that most coaches don't have. It's rare for guys to want to win for their coach in this league. But we would have jumped on a grenade for that guy."

Also, Rex Ryan said, "Trust me, I'll stop your run. Say what you want about me, but if I want to, I'll stop your run."

That is who Rex Ryan is...stop trying to make him someone different.:jets:

19. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

Then what? *fucking drumroll*

20. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

rex is doing what eric didn't.

inspire his players.

Personally it gets me amped up for the season, and if that's how I feel...you can imagine how the players feel.

we're not a bum team, with bum coaching. there's quite a bit of talent on this team , as well as upside

If we were to lose, we lose either way. there's no "better" loss, so why not go out on a limb and see if you can stir a fire in your guys?

I love the way rex carries himself. I have a friend who used to do PR for the ravens and he says we couldn't have picked a better guy. he just tells it like it is.

We looked lost last at the end of the season year. we lacked confidence. You can be sure that's not repeated this season