17a New Stadium Tour - PSL's, NEW STADIUM STUFF GO HERE

Discussion in 'Jets Experience' started by 17a_tailgater, Feb 8, 2009.

1. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Woody is his middle name...Wood actually.

2. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Do you think Hess would have made a more sincere attempt at a return to Queens?

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Again, I'm not John Edwards, the guy who reads the minds of the dead, but my feeling is no. Leon Hess would have had a very bitter taste in his mouth concerning going back to NY, I think. He was treated badly in NY - always second fiddle, always the bridesmaid, never the bride. Shea Stadium was a baseball diamond. He was allowed to present his team there but only if the Mets didn't make the playoffs, which, fortunately for him, wasn't often. And even still, he wasn't allowed to disrupt the basic "baseball setup." The Jets had to play games against the Bills' OJ Simpson, for example, who ran from the line of scrimmage right accross the dirt on the pitcher's mound. Ridiculous.

He was always a man who would consider options. He was the kind of guy who would look at all the factors, including, I think, the fan base, and then make a decision. If he thought the fan base would be comfortable making the move back to NY, I think he would have gone for it. But the cards were pretty much on the table this time around... WSS was denied and NJ was still beckoning, while Queens and other viable options came in a bit too late.

So I think he would have opted for staying in NJ, but I dont' think he would have gone along with the cockamamie horseshit that has developed since his family sold the team to the spoiled little rich brat we call an owner.

4. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

leon is surely turning over in his grave looking at this fucking mess!

didnt he put it in his will that it would be sold due to him not trusting his kids? for some reason i remember that being the case.

i could never see him doing the things that are currently happening. as annoyed as people were for the low years you couldnt be mad at him for being a douchebag. he was definitely not the type of guys you would call a douchebag.

its really been such a short time and it seems like it has been so damn long!

everything really has been a mess in the last 5 years. i never really thought about why other than bad decisions were made

5. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Stop with the NY stuff. He wanted to go to Manhattan to get the biggest bang for his buck. YOUR losuy corrupt politicians 'F' you, not Woody. He lost a ton on that. Why would he build his own stadium in a dump like queens when he could split a place in NJ? It was Mnahattan or bust. Woody has been a great owner, but of course there was only one Leon, but remember with Leon, he kept Joe Walton when anyone else would have fired him and hired Coslet, Caroll and Kotite. He was a nice man, cared about the fans but a terrible, terrible football owner. Leon would have kept Mangini for another 3 years. The Jets sucked for so long under Leon after the sack exchange, shit the last 5-7 years have been the best of times compared to that.Thank God he hired Parcells, the only good move he ever made. Anyome who says the last 5 years have been terrible is to young to qualify that. And remember, NY treated the jets like crap and Leon was a JERSEY guy. Gee, who was our owner when we moved to NJ and abonded the great NY ?????????

#485 sec314, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  6. RayAg02

RayAg02 New Member

Very nice. Now hopefully they don't price us out like Yankee Stadium.

7. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

It was a joke, I too can read....lol

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Unless they are giving you PSL seats with no fee there is no such good deal when it comes to the PSLs

9. championjets69

Sorry I totally disagree with U about Leon Hess. He was a terrible owner & his ONLY interest was Hess Oil. He could not care less what type of product was put on the field. I was hopeful that Woody would be different but alas all he is is a clone of Leon since the product he has fielded during his 9 years of ownership is no different then the ones Hess fielded

Oh yes Hess gets ZERO credit for the SB3 win since it was another partner of the team named Sonny Wberlin who was in control of the team when that historic win came about. In case U R unaware Hess pushed Wberlin out cause Hess was pissed that Wberlin signed JWN without consulting him cause in Hesses HO JWN was paid to much by Wberlin to sign with the NYJs

#489 championjets69, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  10. Chrisp22

Chrisp22 Active Member

Leon Hess was a good man but he just didn't have any football sense. Later on he tried by hiring "football" people but that backfired as well.

I remember he used to save visiting the team for special occasions and big games, otherwise he stayed in the backround.

He would be overwhelmed in the current state of the NFL and football.

11. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

First of all do you READ the entire post??? I said he was a nice man and a terrible owner. Are you kidding me with the lousy product?? You want a lousy product and owner, remember Joe Walton, Coslet and Kotite coached teams with the talent level of the USFL!!! I am not happy until we win the damm championship but in Jet world, the last 9 years have been pretty good. Again, I ain't happy but don't compare Woody's teams to the crap we had back then. That was as close as I have come to giving up my seasons.

12. championjets69

Sorry I disagree with U as well that Leon Hess was a "good" man as U phrased it. If he was such a good man he would never/ever imposed the 31 years of losing teams on us fans since we won SB3. He had totally no pride whatsoever in his ownership of the NYJs otherwise he would never have tolerated the 31 years of losing that he adminstered over. In fact to this day my family still boycotts buying any products of any type of Hess Oil. IMHO if ever NYJ fan would have boycotted Hess Oil products & hurt him in his pocketbook U would see how fast he would have brought in the proper management to make the team a winner again like his former partner who he purged did

13. championjets69

Yes I read ur entire post & go back farther then you in fact to all the way to 65. This is no other way to judge a sports team then by being a winner vs being a loser. In that regard see the Steelers 6 championships, the Boys & Niners 5 each & various other teams teams 3 each. Since Hess won NOTHING in the 31 years he was the majority owner of the team & now Woody has won NOTHING in his 9 years as owner that makes them EXACTLY the same owners of a losing FB team. It is time for U & every NYJ fan to come to grips with the facts that no matter if ur season goes 1-15 or 11-5 & if you do not win the Championship U R losers in the end. So what if the NYJ teams may have improved a tad since the Hess years. Have they won the CHAMPIONSHIP in that period of time? If not they are same as every other losing team in the NFL. In fact the NYJs record for the last 40 years = the Cards & the Lions who are also 2 of those losing teams. I'm sure U know that the all time NYJ record up to this point is still under 500 so that so called improvement as you denote it is very little at best

14. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Mistake #1...responding to champ. Mistake #2 will be to keep responding to champ :wink:

15. Section 227. Row 5

Hahahahahahaaaa......

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

You are stuck in the 60's We got lucky once, that was not a power house. We sucked a couple of years after that. You really need to live in the present . A good man is someone that kept the prices the lowest in the NFL and did not charge for pre-seasons until the very last team. I said he's was a lousy owner, but a good man. Geez. Rag on Woody for charging, Rag on Woody for not winning, rag on woody for being cheap, rag on Hess for not winning, rag on hess for being nice. Basically, outside of 66-71, the Jets suck and you are the ultimate authority on the Jets because you lived it. Woody is not cheap and we are not the Steelers, get over it

17. championjets69

I guess if ur logic is that Hess did not rape the fans due to his low prices policy but put a shit product on the field vs Woody who rapes the fans & also puts a shit product on the field that Hess was better as a owner then who am I to argue such logic over who put a shittier product on the field & at what at cost. Kindly keep in mine that my mind set & yours is totally different since I have renters now who foot the bill so I pay Woody ZERO & have since he bacame the owner vs when Hess was the owner & I was footing the bill & paying my dues year after year to see a nothing product perform

18. Section 227. Row 5

Let's see...

Leon Hess put a shit product on the field but didn't rape the ticketholders.

Woody Johnson puts a shit product on the field and does rape the ticketholders.

Doesn't that make Hess slightly better than Johnson?

19. KSJets

KSJets New Member

Guys, seriously. You're actually falling into his trap. This is where the thread probably will get derailed now.

20. Section 227. Row 5

It's only a trap if you take any of it seriously. I find it amusing to massage it a little and see where it goes. It's a trip unto itself. Hey, it's the offseason.