Jets Released Brett Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Apr 28, 2009.

1. SyracuseJet

SyracuseJet Well-Known Member

So are we going to bitch about what was or could have been with Favre for the next few years? Just curious.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

What should we do? Whine for an entire offseason about a third round pick? It bothers me more that we spent a 6 pick on Gholston and he hasn't done squat for his money, but I'm not going to whine all offseason about that either. It will just make me wary about accepting the decisions of the FO and scouting department. How do you cope with the failures of Maroney and Chad Jackson?

3. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

If anything, listening to Favre talk all last year about being on the way out makes me appreciate Sanchez being on the way in even more.

4. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I didn't say that anyone should bitch or whine. Just asking for an opinion on how Brett screwed the Jets over, much like he did the Packers last year. I'm not blaming the organization.

As far as the Pats FO and scouting, I cope fine. They make mistakes, but I (unlike many fans) never pretend to know more about that stuff than they do.

I am disappointed that Jackson was a bust, and am holding out hope that Maroni will see the light (wishful thinking?). He's shown some flashes. The Pats know how to draft O-Line and Defensive front 7, but never really hit on WR's and only once in awhile on DBs.

5. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

True. Especially since they couldn't trade him to the one team he seems intent on playing for anyway.

6. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I don't think you should blame Brett either. He certainly did not set out to screw the Packers (he just stupidly retired before he was sure he was ready to -- he sincerely wanted to play again for the Pack). And he definitely did not set out to screw the Jets. To accuse a man of screwing someone, you have to prove that he had control -- or at the minimum, even knowledge -- that he was going to impact someone (in this case, the Jets). Favre did not.

Something came out right after he retired that never got posted here to my knowledge, I was not going to bring it up because I think most were sick of the topic of Favre. But it's relevant now for anyone who thinks Favre was even thinking about the Jets, let alone trying to screw them:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/03/brett-again-favre-wanted-to-be-traded-to-tampa-bay/

If anything, you could say the Packers screwed the Jets. They knew that Favre wasn't really that interested in playing for them, but they almost certainly did not tell Tannenbaum that.

This also puts Favre's rambling, emotional responses in the pres conference in Cleveland later that day (of the trade) in some more perspective. He literally felt blindsided by the team he had been the face of for almost two decades.

---

I think cutting Pennington was the real damage here, not the third round pick.

I know I'm in the minority here (certainly in a discussion that involves you abyzmul, lol), thinking Pennington is a quality QB. Though I'm less in the minority now than I was a year ago :) But think about it, if you can just accept for a moment that Chad is actually a very high caliber, disciplined completion passer & game manager ... Pennington would have been a perfect fit for Rex's run-first philosophy. Sorry, my opinion.

And, to reiterate, you can't blame Favre for the Jets cutting Pennington, he had absolutely zero control over that chain of events.

#406 puddnhead, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  7. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

So Favre was doing the Jets a favor last season. You're right, I didn't know that. I thought the $12 million had something to do with it.

8. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

He did. He gave the FO cover to get rid of Chad.

Worked pretty well, too.

9. abyzmul

Chad, on a cerebral level, is very high caliber. He can pick up playbooks faster than any Jets QB I have seen. As a game manager? Well, you have to have a pretty dominant running game to mask the limitations of a guy like Chad, or they will pick you apart on the sideline routes. I don't believe Chad has the physical skills to manage a team into the Super Bowl.

Will he prove me wrong? Anything is possible, but ever since he started injuring his shoulder, he started losing a ton of composure in the pocket, started making some rash decisions in the clutch, and could not come through as we had seen previous in his career. He may end up being a Super Bowl-caliber HC someday, but I don't think he'll ever be any better that a Wildcard-round QB from here on out.

10. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I'm not sure who you were responding to, but your post came right after mine, so in case it is me I want to clarify this: I never said "Favre was doing the Jets a favor last season," or anything even remotely like that.

If you are talking about Favre deciding to go along with the trade, then note he never claimed to be "doing the Jets a favor" either. What he said was that it was an awful situation already, and he thought not going along with it would make it worse. That had nothing to do with the Jets, it has all to do with the media scrutiny of him & his relationship with the Packers.

Finally, the implication that Favre cares only about the money is one of the most inane things I've ever heard. If Fare only cared about getting $12 million, he just would have never retired in the first place. Not only would he get the $12 million, he would have to do less work to get it (learning a new playbook, moving his family, etc), and on top of that, he would have made even more money in the long run (it's hard not to agree that his endorsement value has diminished because of all this). You actually have things 180 degrees wrong here.

#410 puddnhead, May 5, 2009
    Last edited: May 5, 2009
  11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Best thing Favre did last year and he gave us some hope for awhile before he mailed in December.

12. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

13. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Okay then. All you Favre-heads who kept telling us Captain Intangibles really just needed a hug from the Jets front office to come back should kill yourselves right now. He's not motivated by any need to feel wanted. He really just hates Green Bay. When your done fixing the turnip truck or manure spreader and have some time to reflect on that, doesn't it make you feel stupid?

14. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

Right...n thats why the Dolphags won 11!

15. abyzmul

I've been kind of skeptical of the Pats' O-line the past couple of seasons, it seems like they have dropped off from the level they played during the 'golden years'. Do you thing that's mainly personnel or scheme? It seems to coincide with the installment of zone blocking.

16. abyzmul

I wonder how many will follow him to the Vikings. :)

17. Big Poppa Naich

Big Poppa Naich Active Member

I hope somebody on the Packers in the Vikings/Packer game kicks Favre straight in the knots.

18. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

HAH manure spreader. :rofl2: Post of the year. Agreed 100%

19. JetRizing89

JetRizing89 Well-Known Member

im sick of favre, and honestly now that he is gone i could careless

20. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

The best thing about Favre retiring is no more puddnhead and Determination#4