Jets Released Brett Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Apr 28, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Yes, that 2002 Indianapolis defense was sooooo DOMINANT!

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

It actually wasn't bad they were top 10 that year. The Giants did put up 44 on them week 16 but they were pretty good.

Chad was really good down the stretch in 02 he was playing very confident football.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Elite defense will stop most QBs, this is not a knock on Chad. Any QB that doesn't have an effective running game amnd is being presured will struggle.

4. nyjunc

The "great" Peyton Manning didn't lead his high powered O to a point against our non-elite defense.

5. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

2nd with 4 whole votes and a team that had an entirely new coaching staff and BP running the ship. Nevermind Ricky and Brown.

Wildcat bought them a win or two.

This just in: Chad Pennington will single handedly wipe out the swine flu.

6. abyzmul

Any QB that can't overcome 8 in the box will fail in the playoffs with consistency, too. I don't want a 'decent' QB, a simple 'game manager'... I want one that overcomes adversity when it counts - a clutch player. And that's ANYTHING but Chad.

7. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Boom! That's the bottom line. A clutch player. You don't need to be Joe Montana, just don't fold when you're needed most.

8. nyjunc

Again, name me the other time BP oversaw a playoff team w/o coaching?

Jones and leon had better years than Ricky and Ronnie.

9. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

And yet Jones and Washington weren't used when they were needed most. Like after Favre was hurt.

Yeah blah blah blah, I get the whole Al Groh reference. He still brings a certain element when he's part of the organization. He picked the CS.

10. nyjunc

He obviously has before, it's hard to win single handedly and in a couple of those playoff losses he hasn't had any help. In '02 we went into NE and the div was on the line for NE in prime time and they couldn't stop our O, the next week w/ GB 12-3 and playing for homefield they couldn't stop us, the next week it was Indy. In '04 we were the only team to win at SD all year and we did it twice.

Chad has more wins as a starting QB at NE than any other QB, he hasn't played there much either. He is 3-1 as a starter in the regular season in NE. In 2002 the win he led us to up there was NE's last home loss until 2005, In '06 we won at NE and NE wouldn't lose another home game until 2008 to Miami led by Chad. Average QBs cannot pull those wins off.

11. nyjunc

When Favre was hurt, Favre's arm was fine. he was making bad decisions again like he was earlier in the year.

12. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Oh he wasn't hurt? You didn't see the hit? Nevertheless it doesn't absolve the CS from responsibility for changing the game plan.

13. abyzmul

How much of that was acquired before the giant wad of scar tissue in his throwing shoulder? I know Chad had a lot of promise early on, junc. Before teams had much tape on him in 2002, he was able to play above his head and surprise a lot of teams with his intelligent play and touch passes. He didn't even get the deer-in-headlights look before the Raiders loss. But the older a player in that position gets, the more confidence they should show in the future - not less. I never said Chad was average. I think he's above average, and that's it. Average players can kick ass in the regular season and collapse when it counts. Clutch players do not collapse when it counts. And that goes for Favre, too. After the Titans game, he was nothing more than above average.

14. nyjunc

when is the last time Favre was clutch?

15. abyzmul

In the playoffs? Not for a long time. But watching Favre fail is 1000 times more fun than watching Chad fail. Especially if it's only for one season and you know it will end after that season. Watching Chad fail was like a dark tunnel with no exit.

16. winstonbiggs

At NE last year.

17. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Junc, that's the issue right there. For you, the "Jet Superbowl" is a regular season win at Gilette / Foxboro. For most others it is the actual Superbowl played in February.

I enjoy how you conveniently pawn of Chad's playoff losses on other players, coaches, teams, injuries, ball boys, trainers, stadium security and parking lot attendants. Then you turn around talk about how Chad "pulled off" a bunch of regular season wins.

Again, I am not really sure what you are after here. Your last response to me was something about "truth." Will you except that the "truth" that Chad is a QB that can get you to the playoffs, but not win you a title?

(I doubt it as countless other have had the exact same debate with you. Either way, I enjoyed giving it a try today. Junc, I just hope that someday you will move on from deifying an above average QB that played one full season for the Jets and compiled a 32-30 record as a starter.)

18. winstonbiggs

If that were the case he would have loved Favre last year he was great in Gilette last year almost Chad like.

19. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

I should have clarified, the "Jets SB when Chad was the QB."

Junc wasn't going to like anything last year once his homeboy was kicked to the curb.

20. winstonbiggs

I wonder if the guy who came in second in the MVP vote might have to win his job in TC this year?