Jets Released Brett Favre

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dark Knight, Apr 28, 2009.

1. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Yep, same play we hit big on against SD the week before.

The pass he hit McCraphands on to set up the first game winning FG attempt was also a thing of beauty. I dont think I have ever heard a stadium go from rockin to dead silent so quickly.

2. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I can play this game too.

If that was Favre he throws 3-4 TD's. If that was Pennington against the Giants he throws 3-4 INT's like he did against Balt.

3. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Wait, didn't he have a torn rotator cuff the weeks before and after that?

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Washed up Chad is way better than washed up Favre. A washed up game manager is way more valuable than a washed up play maker.

Neither one can win the big one but the washed up playmaker won't lose the little one.

5. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

yeah that Giants team....you know them, they had Strahan and Coughlin.

6. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

I'll buy that. Fair enough. Nonetheless, lets not put hopes on washed up QBs, and QBs that even in their prime were sketchy.

So no more Favre and no more Pennington. Problem solved.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He played well in the 2nd NE game, we are not talking about that. The last month he was absolutely awful. Let's recap:

vs. Denver: down 17-14 thanks to Thomas Jones he throws an INT and Den scores a TD off of it to go up 24-14. he leads us to 3 more points in that game

at SF: starts game w/ 3 and out, D then forces fumble only to see him lead another 3 and out. led us to 14 points.

vs. Buf: D creates 4 TOs, Brett sends 2 back. we win b/c D scores a TD near the 2 min warning.

at Sea: leads us to 3 points, throws 2 more INTs

vs. Miami: we lost by 7, he threw another INT for a TD and 3 INTs total.

The only game we won we won b/c our D had to score a TD in the final minutes.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Honestly, Chad and Curtis were never the same after that game. They both left everything they had on the field that day.

9. nyjunc

They played great in the playoffs BUT they weren't better than Pitt. people forgte that NE O had slowed down a bit, they only scored 21 at home against SD so they didn't get the NE O when they were humming. A few weeks earlier the NE O scored 38 against the Giants.

GB was playing at home, Favre had multiple chances to pull that game off. he couldn't. Chad at least had his Kicker w/ 2 chances(though 1 was set up by an INT), Favre never got his K in position.

10. nyjunc

Like he did against the Giants?

He did, wouldn't you agree it's harder to have success against a faster, better D when your average arm is hurting?

2 guys who had never won anything before that year.

11. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

i see junc has been doing lines of coke off Chad's ass again.....a little early this year, junc....usually you wait till TC. :rolleyes:

12. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

This is the crazy part. People here honestly expected him to go into windy Pittsburgh against a 15-1 team with the top D in the NFL and put on an aerial show with a torn rotator cuff? They would have been crazy to even attempt that. Given the circumstances, and again without John Abraham's sprained vagina or whatever, the Jets as a team did absolutely everything right to win that game except the kicker couldn't make the winning kick to finish it, even though they gave him two chances. To pull an upset like that in those circumstances everyone had to do their part and it isn't always pretty. Everyone did their part except the kicker, now four years later people want to go back and blame the QB for not doing what they weren't even trying to do in the first place.

13. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Junc, as Chief Chad Apologist, it seems like every week you rehash the same arguments with a new foil to prove....what? What would be a victory for you on this board?

My take:

Chad was a good QB. The team enjoyed success with him when he was 100%. However, he couldn't stay healthy and a giant question mark at the QB position is detrimental to any team. Dispensing with the "if this" and "if that" scenarios, Chad couldn't lead the team to victory against high quality opponents. By 2008, the Jets knew what they had. A QB that could probably get them to a playoffs, but one that would need a lot of help to get a shot at SB.

Ultimately, I believe, you need two things from a QB to win a SB 1) one you can rely on to stay healthy and 2) a guy that can go out and win the game for you / put the team on his back in a playoff game. Unfortunately, Chad is neither of those things. It doesn't make him a bad QB, but he isn't a great QB either. If you're happy with playoff appearances you like Chad. If you want to see your team be a legitimate contender over a sustained period of time, you'd more than happy risking letting a good QB go to get one that could potentially be great.

14. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Its always that way in Pennington debates.

15. nyjunc

As usual you bring alot to a discussion.

I defend the truth, that is what I am about. I don't say Chad was or is great, I simply defend what he did for us which I shouldn't have to do but for some reason he is hated by Jet fans despite all of his success.

16. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Let's be honest here. If a kicker did his job the previous game, the Jets wouldn't have even been playing in Pittsburgh. Furthermore, the only thing that made Chad look decent that day was the atrocious performance by Roethlisberger. So, Chad didn't "do his part."

The Jets ended being in that game at all due to D/ST, but if they somehow pulled it out Chad would have gotten the credit. The team didn't, so Chad gets dinged. That's the way it works with QBs.

(Besides, if Chad was smart enough not lose yardage on two kneel downs in a tough kicking stadium the kicker may have sent the Jets to the AFC title game.)

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

The two missed FG's were over 40 yards. Those are very difficult FG's to make in Pitt.

No one was "expecting" an aerial assault of that Pitt defense. We expect the offense to put up some points though. Getting into position for 40+ yard FG's isn't exactly any great feat.

Abraham pissed me off that game too and it's when I stopped liking him. The defense wasn't the problem that day but if he played maybe we get another INT or fumble or better field position, whatever.

That does mask the fact that the offense sucked donkey dick that day.

18. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

it's not a discussion, junc....it's you, rehashing the same Pennington Love you did last year after we traded for Favre...if i didn't have better things to do with my time...like pick my nose....i'd go and find the threads to prove my point.

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Sounds like you guys don't understand the playoffs then. Two of the best teams are out there taking away things the other team does, so adjustments are made and the games turn on a big play here and there or a kick at the end. You don't just walk into a Pittsburgh or wherever and do whatever you want because you have good players. They have good players too. The fact that you got there and the game came down to a kick means your players are good enough to be there and move on to the next round, it just didn't happen that way that time.

People here act like Chad threw 5 picks and we got blown out, or that he can't play in the playoffs. That's simply not the case. There are good players every year who get shut down in the playoffs, it happens to 11 of the best 12 teams every year, it doesn't mean they aren't any good or don't belong there.

#179 Italian Seafood, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  20. BlairThomas#1

BlairThomas#1 New Member

Junc, that's your own complex. People didn't hate Chad, people don't hate Chad.

Just because they were happy to move doesn't mean they weren't happy he was here. Chad did a lot of for the team and the organization, and most people supported the hell out of him when he lined-up under center. But fans get tired of seeing the team leader continually bump up against his ceiling (be it injuries or inability to beat top teams).

Chad and Herm (with a nod to Parcells) helped fundamentally change the franchise. They helped elevate the team / franchise from once-in-a-while winners to a team that could be in the mix for a playoff spot each year. Ultimately, they raised the expectations of the fans to a level that they couldn't meet when they plateaued for a variety of reasons.