Opening Day Starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bigoljetairliner28, Apr 25, 2009.

?

Opening Day Starter?

1. Clemens

94 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Sanchez

122 vote(s)
    56.0%
  3. Other

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. ........

........ Trolls

Did the Pats pay 16 million dollars to Cassel this offseason? No. You franchise a guy like that to prevent teams from scooping him up for free, knowing that you'll recoup a draft pick in the end.

2. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Orton was also just a 4th rounder

3. ........

........ Trolls

Yes, but the point of him coming in and putting up good numbers as a rookie again supports the idea of senior vs junior QBs. Look, I love Mark Sanchez. I guarantee I've known about him longer than any poster on this board. I just want him to have the best chance to succeed, and history dictates that he not be rushed into the position. I hate seeing people on here call it his job to lose right now or say things like "he'd better start. We're not giving him that contract to sit on the bench for one minute."

4. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

It is not so much that he MUST start, as it is that there is NO ONE ELSE on the team that is capable of starting. Clemens should not be able to play, unless there is some kind of injuries sustained to the other two and Brad Smith.

5. ........

........ Trolls

Wow. Either you have a rather defined penchant for hyperbolic statements, or this is the most ignorant post I've ever seen on TGG.

6. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

History doesn't dictate anything which is what applies to this situation, normally when a team is in a position to start a new QB right away, the team around the QB is terrible and they are starting all over (aka what Matthew Stafford is about to walk into), not a team that started out 8-3 and ran out of gas due to a number of factors.

7. RedWhiteBlue&Green

RedWhiteBlue&Green Active Member

It is only "ignorant," because you are a fan of Kellen Clemens and you, like many others on this forum, have for some strange reason attached yourself to him. IMO, he stinks. I have seen enough of him to ever want to see him again.

I want Sanchez to start, because I do not believe in Kellen Clemens ability to manage or win NFL games. If I'm wrong, as I have said before, I will apologize to every one of the Clemens fans on this forum, including you. But I don't think I am, and that is the reason why I am so elated that the Jets moved up in the draft and selected Sanchez. I have a feeling the Jets feel the same way I do, which is why I believe they gave up as much as they did to get Sanchez.

8. ........

........ Trolls

LOL. I'm attached to Clemens? I had a message in to Mark within a couple of hours that I was ecstatic he was coming to the Jets. I'm thrilled with the move. I just want to do what's best for his development as our long term franchise QB and I'd love for this to be Clemens' last season with the team. Reading comprehension not your strong suit?

9. jets2884

jets2884 Active Member

I think Sanchez will start, Clemens has been choking every chance he gets to start...Ratliff outplayed him last yr and Pennington continually outplayed him...I think sanchez is smart enough and mature enough to work hard for that starting spot and will lead our team to victory starting week 1

10. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Kc is a lame duck in more than one way, we game nothing from him starting.

Sanchez will out play him in preseason and should start from day one.

11. nyironchin

nyironchin New Member

why bother starting clemens if sanchez is that dude? let him sink or swim

12. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Sanchez. KC should be reeling from what happened last year Bret Favre and now Sanchez. This whole thing was a set up when Ryan stated. All the moves we made were made to get a QB. In FA we got LB,S,DE,DT,CB,DB,LB DE for what? So we didn't have to go into the draft except to get a #1 QB. Now throw in a 3 headed RB and woops i wouldn't want to play the Jets. Ryan ain;t playin. He;s the real deal You better recognise. This was a setup folks. Can Dustin Keller play WR, you bet and we already have a TE on the team who close to 300 pounds, guesse who. We did more in the offseason building that most coaches do their entire contract now that the real deal. MESSEGE SENT DON'T step on the field with the NYJs because you will never ever want to see us again, word.

13. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

And Clemens is ready? Clemens might need more time watching from the sidelines based on his putrid play.

14. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I think Sanchez will beat out Clemens in camp, I'm not sure if it is the right move to have Sanchez start from day one. If Clemens has a good year we could have a Matt Cassel situation next off-season and he could get us some picks, he can't have good value unless he is on the field. However at the end of the day, the important thing is winning now, so may the best man win.

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

When did NE win with a rookie? Brady sat a full year and got in year 2 after Bledsoe went down. Cassell was drafted in 05 last year was his fourth year and as well as he played NE lost last year. NE had a 14 and 2 team that probably hosts the AFC Finals not make the playoffs.

Tough call on this one. I would think they hand the job to Clemens and if Sanchez is unreal make a move around the 3rd or 4th game. A QB comp would be the worst thing they could do. If they love this kid in mini camp and he is in control early in TC they might just name him the starter early and give him all the first team reps? They have to make a decision one way or another very soon.

If Clemens steps up we may get lucky and he gives us a nice year and we have some real value and an extra first day pick next year while Sanchez learns for a year. All good.

#75 winstonbiggs, Apr 28, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  16. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I think Clemens should have gone to Cleveland instead of Ratliffe...

17. HOI

HOI Active Member

The people on here who say they have seen "enough" of KC to know that he stinks are probably the same ones who said they saw "enough" of Ratty to know that he is gonna be a career All-Pro...5 SB rings...cure cancer...feed the worlds hungry...bring peace to the middle east...etc...etc

I'm no huge supporter of KC but to say that he had a fair shot and is worthless is just silly.

So by your method of thinking...if Sanchez starts this season and goes 3-5 like KC did...will you have seen enough of him?

18. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

Thats my ideal situation, don't throw him into the flames, those QB's from last year are the exception, not the rule! Most QB's need time to sit and learn, no reason to throw the kids future away early let him learn and absorb for a while. I don't want to give this guy any chance to develop "David Carr Syndrome."

19. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

If Sanchez can clearly and resoundingly beat out KC in camp then I am for him starting as a rook. Otherwise it makes more sense to let him sit for at least half a season.

The big downside to starting Sanchez out of the gate is our defense playing SB quality defense and Sanchez playing so poorly that he costs us games. Why put him in the possible position of having to read headlines/listen to talk radio (or worse - lockerroom grumbling) calling for him to be benched in favor of Clemens?

On the flipside - if Clemens has a great season then we flip him next season for a pick. Otherwise Sanchez can come in halfway through the season without the weight of the world on him (or at least without someone breathing down his neck).

20. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I believe Clemens, who not only has NOT gotten a real chance to succeed here but we should remember was also a second round pick, is in the final year of his contract. What do the Jets do about that? Realistically they can probably sign him up until OD, but they have a call to make on that one, too. I would give him a simple one year extension, but there might be some other approaches that would work.

The Real World is just because the Jets gaver up so much for Sanchez is no guarantee whatsoever that he will be a winner right out of the box. Probably the worst thing the Jets could do is not extend Clemens, plan on starting Sanchez, and have Sanchez be unprepared and not win. If they then play Clemens and he plays well, do you just let him walk and get nothing for him at the end of the season?

Clemens knows the playbook. It's one big reason why he's still on the team. Sanchez still has to learn it and to learn about the D's in the NFL. The smart move is to start Clemens and see how long he can win.

The downside to starting Sanchez imo is too great.