Udfa Signings

Discussion in 'Draft' started by WW85, Apr 26, 2009.

1. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Emanuel Cook has some potential. Cook isn't afaid to make a big hit. Could be a decent back-up and special team player, he's a little small (height). Hopefully being away from Spurrier he has grown up; the immates run the prision at SC. They need to change the current culture at South Carolina....Spurrier has to go. Cook had a felony gun charge hanging over his head and wasn't allowed to play(Grades) in the Outback Bowl. BTW, Shonn Greene ran like crazy(3 Tds) at the Bowl vs SC and was MVP.

#41 WW85, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The gun charges against Cook were dropped, but that story is incredibly sketchy - he was hanging out with known drug dealers at the time of his arrest.

You're right, Spurrier has little to no control over the Gamecocks - hopefully Ryan and company will repeatedly kick Cook's ass in camp...knocking his head on straight.

Honestly, I can see E-Cook becoming a starter down the road - but that's a huge IF. He has to get it all together, because if everything clicks, he'll be a special player.

Guys his size aren't supposed to hit like that...

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Emmanuel Cook? Wow, I had him as a 3rd or 4th round pick.. I bet he's our 3rd or 4th safety. Great signing!

4. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

I can see Potter, Cook, and Southerland easily making the team and possibly contributing.

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I think Cook could become a steal UDFA, his ability is incredible. I was bringing up question marks on his character and the peripheral stuff he was involved in. Hopefully he's grown up and gets his head on straight and hangs out with the right people.

#45 WW85, Apr 27, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  6. nyjrkm06

nyjrkm06 Active Member

Yea, I rememebr many people thought high of him(cook) on this board. I even saw him as a projected 2-3 round pick on many draft sites.

7. 73klecko

73klecko Member

I see we added Ryan Mckee OT

8. rhodesfan16

rhodesfan16 New Member

love the Cook signing

9. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I don't want to count chickens here, but Tannenbaum deserves tremendous credit for these UDFA signings. Couple these with a few low-key veteran signings and we look pretty damn good.

Needs After the Sanchez Trade:

Safety depth
    Defensive line depth
    Tight end depth
    Offensive line depth
    Running back depth
    Starting quarterback
    Wide receiver

We covered every one of those except for wide out; I for one think Chansi Stuckey earned his shot. I'm very happy today.

10. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

There will be some cuts coming up soon - I believe we'll bring in a veteran tight end and a veteran wideout...

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's a guy I picked us to sign as a UDFA in a couple mocks. He's had some injuries, but he could end up making the team..

12. 73klecko

73klecko Member

A veteran TE is a must....Bubba Franks and Dan Campbell are the only guys I know of.

13. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I absolutely love the Cook and Potter signings. Right there, I think we have our replacements for Elam and Coleman. I liked both of them as mid-round picks, I can't believe they went undrafted.

14. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

Cook actually reminds me a bit of Elam and should do an adequate job replacing him.

15. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Potter and Steinkuhler are two guys that buy into the nose to the grindstone philosophy that Ryan wants to instill. Steinkuhler is the son of the former Oiler and puts his head down and puts high effort into every play. Potter looks like a Shane Burton type who gets by on guile and savvy with his tremendous size. I could see both squeezing into the rotation.

Rob Myers- Tremendous physical talent not unlike Brad Cottam in that he brings tremendous athletic upside to a position he consistently underachieved at in college due to injuries. Might turn out to be a steal, or at the very least Dustin Keller insurance. I'd be shocked if he doesn't make the team with the dearth of talent at the position. Ditto for TE Andrew Davie, who is a willing blocker who plays with an edge and could benefit from working with Bill Callahan in the run game.

This guy Emmanuel Cook looks a lot like Victor Green in terms of a lack of tools. If he looks like Victor Green in terms of attitude he might be one hell of a player. I see him earning a spot on special teams if he can take the character hit and do it. This guy is either going to be a star or a stinker.

-X-

16. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I posted this in another thread, but apparently TJ Conley had the highest punting average in CFB last year at 47.4 yards. That's apparently the highest average in a long time. This guy could be just what we've been looking for at the position.

17. The GM

The GM New Member

Jim Leonhard: 5'8, 186 lbs, starting S
    Emanuel Cook: 5'10, 197 lbs

This really wasn't in direct response to your post, but a lot of people are saying that he is too small to ever become a starting S. He is bigger than Leonhard, and I don't know how fast Leonhard is but Cook ran a 4.47 at his pro day so he certainly isn't slow. Cook's problem is his attitude and his actions off the field. If he can get his shit together, he has the skill set to become a starting S for us down the road. Ryan has handled "problem" players well in Baltimore, I hope he continues to do that in New York.

The first word that the NFL Combine Analysis uses for him is: "fearless"

That's certainly a good building block.

18. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

According to Dave Hutchinson, the Jets also signed UDFA Safety Keith Fitzhugh from Mississippi State

19. Jabba the Jet

Jabba the Jet New Member

Potter signed with the Jets, but I believe the Steinkuhler report was bogus and he signed with the Bengals

Here's the full list of UDFA's I have for the Jets as of this moment ....

34DE Zach Potter (Nebraska)
    34DE Matt Kroul (Iowa)
    34OLB Jamaal Westerman (Rutgers)
    S Emanuel Cook (South Carolina)
    S Keith Fitzhugh (Mississippi State)
    TE Andrew Davie (Arkansas)
    TE Robert Myers (Utah State)
    TE J'Nathan Bullock (Cleveland State)
    P TJ Conley (Idaho)
    QB Chris Pizzotti (Harvard)
    OT Tavita Thompson (Oregon State)
    OT Kyle Link (McNeese State)