Jets to draft for offense? Not necessarily

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Apr 20, 2009.

1. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Ryan's a Defensive guy like all of you already know it will never be a suprise if he goes Defense and gets a Defensive Linemen , Linebacker or Corner/Safety... Although i would draft a Receiver or QB (If Stafford or Sanchez are there which seems unlikely) An if the T.J. thing really is that much of a problem and we dont want a 1300 yard rusher and 15 TD back on the team i guess we could draft Moreno or Wells.

2. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

"During separate news conferences Friday, Jets brass said offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has been doing his own behind-the-scenes preparation for this weekend's draft."

Just being both cynical and logical, its well known Shott wants to leave the Jets as soon as possible and become a head coach. Which means he wants to look good this year. Which means he is prolly not lobbying for project skill players like Harvin, DHB, Pat White, or anyone else who won't contribute this year. I just hope Tanny ignores him and gets the backup OLinemen this team needs.

3. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

"Slender", you jokes are better than your tv if you think he's slender.

4. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I said BIG holes, not big holes. A pass rushing DE in a Rex Ryan 3-4 hybrid defense? Getting sacks from any 3-4 DE is a bonus. The pass rush has to come primarilly from the LB's.

I'm OK with Clemens/Ratliff, and Cotch, Clowney, Stuckey, Smith, Keller and Leon catching the ball. Blocking TE's are not hard to find. The punting situation is a worry, but the Jets aren't going to draft one unless it's a 6th or 7th round pick.

5. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

One may wish to hedge bets on WR, but if you look at Jets history, they have seldom picked a WR in the 1st round. If one of the QB's struck them as a guy they just couldn't pass up at 17, then maybe - a huge maybe they take a QB; but I still doubt this happens. I just do not see them trading up this year except maybe in the second round. I am thinking RB, but they could very easily pick up another D player if that player was a guy who could come in and contribute now.

6. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think it's surprising for the people who look at the holes on offense and just assume we will go with an offensive player in a draft with so many potential defensive playmakers. I wouldn't be surprised if all of these rumors spread about the Jets targeting offensive players was a ploy to make some blue-chip D players fall to 17.

7. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I want us to go offence, but i just have a feeling that if Tyson Jackson is there when we pick, he is the way we will go.

8. kennyo07

kennyo07 New Member

I agree, do not pick a WR at 17.

Why not trade for Chad Johnson? Draft Moreno. In second round pick up best WR available. Third round pass rush DE, later rounds CB depth and blocking TE.

9. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

We need a Wr bad but there is no way we should even think about any receiver in this Draft other than Crabtree over Tyson Jackson. As a matter of fact I wish we could trade up and get him. Im with you on this one.

10. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

I think they will go D in the early part of the draft I think Rex wants to built a championship type D. I really think Kellen & Clowney are going to get there shot this year.

11. greenghost

greenghost Member

Hopefully after the 16th pick has been made, the Jets fans start the "MORENO, MORENO" chant....Rex hear us!!!!

12. Jets n Boys

Jets n Boys Banned

We don't really need an OL in the first round. Its the least of our needs as of right now. For depth, a 4th or 5th rounder would suffice.

I prefer we go DL in the 1st.

13. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Geeze... would you please stop spelling offense wrong already? :wink: