Jets to draft for offense? Not necessarily

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by abyzmul, Apr 20, 2009.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Jets to draft for offense? Not necessarily

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com
    12:03 AM EDT, April 20, 2009

During separate news conferences Friday, Jets brass said offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer has been doing his own behind-the-scenes preparation for this weekend's draft.

Asked that day if one could presume the Jets will look for offense first, given their free-agent activity on defense, coach Rex Ryan smiled.

"You can presume anything you want," said Ryan, whose team has the No. 17 pick. "I don't know what you're talking about in free agency, since we signed how many offensive guys?"

Pause for laughter.

"Really, zero new guys," Ryan said. "You probably can figure that out. [But] if it happens to be that clearly the best player on the board is a defensive player, Brian is going to go crazy. But we've got to be fair to our football team, and let's get the best guy."

>>Campus Confidential: Newsday's pro and college football experts discuss who the Jets should draft.

A little more than an hour later, during the team's pre-draft news conference, general manager Mike Tannenbaum fielded a similar question.

"Certainly our numbers, as Brian Schottenheimer has walked by my office twice a day, every day [to remind me], are a little skewed right now from a strictly numbers standpoint," Tannenbaum said with a smile. "But we really want to take the best player possible."

And with that, welcome to the annual dance of 1,000 rumors -- the week leading up to the NFL draft, which begins Saturday in Manhattan. The Jets have one selection in each round except the fifth, a pick sent to the Eagles in the trade for cornerback Lito Sheppard.

Jets vice president of college scouting Joey Clinkscales targeted offensive line, running back, wide receiver and defensive back as the positions in this draft with the most depth. Perhaps coincidentally, they're all areas of need for the Jets.

They shored up at cornerback with the Sheppard deal, and an argument can be made that depth at defensive line, particularly at nose tackle, is their most pressing need.

But overall, more help is needed on offense than on defense.

Besides the other offensive positions Clinkscales mentioned, the Jets need a tight end with blocking ability - bringing Oklahoma State's Brandon Pettigrew into the picture - and, of course, there's the most high-profile position of all that is adding intrigue.

Tannenbaum and Ryan publicly have supported their quarterbacks -- Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge -- but the organization has done plenty of legwork on the quarterback prospects, including conducting private workouts for USC's Mark Sanchez and rifle-armed Josh Freeman of Kansas State.

Sanchez probably won't be available at 17, but Tannenbaum isn't shy about making trades. He's acquired and dealt an equal number of picks, 15, during the last three years.

"Right now, we're really comfortable with where we are at 17," Tannenbaum said Friday. "If opportunities came along that we thought made sense for the organization, we'll take a long look at it, but right now we fully anticipate taking a player at 17 a week from Saturday."

Let the reading of tea leaves begin in earnest.

2. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Moreno or defense or bust!

3. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

I am guessing they may draft offense, but they may also opt to draft a defensive player.

Otherwise, it may be special teams.

4. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

You're like our Mel Kiper!

5. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

I would applaud the Jets if they choose any form of linemen, on either side of the ball with the first pick.

6. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

I think the draft will be heavily offence orientated, but that's not to say we will use our 17th on defence. I really don't see us moving up, it's just a feeling i have, but if we are moving in any direction, i think it will be down. There are so many things we can do this year, it should be quite a exciting day. With so many different opinions, i expect to hear a few boos whatever the pick is.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I just hope when we draft at 17 were not drafting a guy who's rated 232 on the Pats draft board.

8. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

the value in this draft is where they sit at 17. there are a lot of guys who can go at that spot.

its a good place to be in this draft.

9. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I definitely think you are on (to) something.

10. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

I'd be shocked if we stayed where we are and use that pick on a defensive player. There are maybe 5 defensive players in the entire draft worth that pick.

11. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

"Jets vice president of college scouting Joey Clinkscales targeted offensive line, running back, wide receiver and defensive back as the positions in this draft with the most depth. Perhaps coincidentally, they're all areas of need for the Jets."

I'm hoping for Max Unger in the second round. This team needs better depth, if two OLinemen get hurt at the same time it will cripple the team.

12. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

I'm on the fense about that. :wink:

This is a year where the Jets have no BIG holes for the starting 22, but many areas of need for rotational players and role players along with depth. I do beleive this will truely be a Jets draft based on the old best available player.

Personally, it's the O line I worry about the most. Zero depth across all five positions. I really want us to get a center who could fill in at OG. Mangold is the ONLY C on the roster who can snap in the shotgun.

13. wildthing202

wildthing202 Active Member

No big holes outside QB, WR, Blocking TE, Pass Rushing DE, & Punter(7th round maybe).

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

yep..... DE or OT would be a good start. Wouldn't mind another quality corner either.

15. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I would hope to see a LB or a DL or an OL. If it is offense, I hope it is not a WR. None of them impress me.

16. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

Please draft Moreno........

17. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

Someone needs to steal the Pats draft board, but Rex is too large not to get caught!

18. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

That's why we kept Schotty Jr. His slender body can fit through windows and vents more easily.

19. Gunther

Gunther Member

Best Player Available is the only way to go with this draft.
    It's not heavy star driven

20. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden New Member

They gotta go O.

WR, RB, or QB