Jewish fans jolt Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Apr 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

LET MY PEOPLE GO!!!!

2. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

Depending on the outcome of the game, I am sure that we will all be wishing we had a good excuse to miss it.

3. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Jews For Jets Unite!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signed,

mark EPSTEIN.... so take it easy fellow tribe members. Everyone take it easy. Who cares, Yanks are finally home!!!!

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

I agree...

5. asbcheeks

asbcheeks Member

Though I could do without all the "here we go again with the damn jews" sentiment from you and others, this to me seems the most logical. Religious obligation is one of a number of different reasons to be unable to attend a Jets game. In this case Jews with any degree of observance happen to be put out because it may mean that they will miss the first TWO games of the season. Tough shit! Koufax didn't ask to reschedule the WS, he sat out. These things happen.

I'm sure if the Jets had a Christmas Day game that many season ticket holders would be unable to go because of church/family obligations. That would suck too, but as long as its not a regular occurrence I don't see the need to make any special requests or exceptions for it.

FTR, MORE THAN A QUARTER of scheduled Mets games this year falls on the Jewish sabbath. What do religious Jewish Met fans do? THEY GO ON OTHER DAYS.

6. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

My goodness! I revisit this thread and its a nightmare.

You all need to lighten up, everyone. This is why I can't stand organized religion of ANY denomination or persuasion. "My God is better than your God,"... "My religion is the only one and yours doesn't matter,"... "Your religion can't possibly be right because mine is, ... my holiday is more important than yours or has different meaning!" Who gives a damn?

It's all ridiculous, fellas, don't you see? World religions have been and continue to be the source of unbelievable suffering and bitterness, even many wars, for Christ's sake (pun intended).

My wife's inlaws are strict Southern Baptists and my sister-in-law's favorite expression is, "Well, it doesn't matter what you believe in as long as you have Jesus in your heart." So after they go home I tell my wife, "Well, I guess all the Jews, Hindus, Muslims and Buddhists are fucked then, becuae none of them stand a chance in hell of getting into heaven."

Don't you see? It doesn't freaking matter. We're all people on this earth and we need to stop believing that one religion is the end-all and the only possible one. It's bullshit.

If you're a fucking Vietnamese Buddhist and the Jets-Pats game falls on your fucking Tet Holiday, so what? Don't go to the fucking game. Sports and sporting events weren't and can't be designed around peoples' religions. Religion and sports should have nothing to do with one another, just like separation of church and state.

But again... organized religion is a pain in the ass. Most people would be better off concerning themselves with their own inner religion... doing unto others as you would have them do unto you and doing the right thing. The world would be a far better place if people just listened to their own conscience that way and didn't adhere to strict religious teachings and bullshit.

7. Merkava

Merkava New Member

I have to say, I've never been more embarrassed to read this message board. Blaming the Jews for this is ridiculous. The giants made THE SAME REQUEST and they were able to get two away games.

The fact that they play games on christmas is not an issue. In fact, if you believed it was culturally insensitive to play games on Christmas, you should say something about it. One thing has nothing to do with the other.

For those who are unaware, Yom Kippor and Rosh Hashana are the two most holiest days in the jewish calendar. Not only must Jews be in synagogue, but many do not use electricity, and are not allowed to occupy their thoughts with non-repentive things such as a Jets home game.

An orthodox (read: very observant) jewish friend of mine was upset that he shelled out all this money for season tickets but now much give up 25% of the games. The fact that these tickets would not go to waste on someone else is not the point, the point is, they shouldn't HAVE TO give them up.

The NFL, especially someone with the last name "Katz" should be more aware of the impact among the fanbase. Obviously they were aware of this because the Giants were able to get TWO away games. Perhaps they could have equally screwed both teams and given them each one home game during the High holidays.

The fact is, the Jets get no respect and this is a microcosm of it. Remember, just because YOU personally don't believe in something doesn't give you the right to shit on someone else who does, especially when what they are doing is trying to allow MORE jets fans to be at the home games. Unless you guys are ok with a bunch of fans from NE and Ten occupying a large percentage of the stadium instead of loyal green and white.

8. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

They've said on the radio the jets never made the request and the NFL is saying they lost the "message" to cover up the Jets mistake. Oh well shit happens move on next time remember to ask.

/Thread

9. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

You'll have to re-read the thread. What pissed people off,was the very few posters who came off with the tone that the jewish holidays were much more important than the Christian ones. The tone was filled with arrogance,which sometimes is not realized by those spewing it. Then they wonder why people get pissed off. I still don't believe anything should change because of Jewish holidays,and not for the other ones either. Go to the game if you can,were not waiting for you and we don't want to hear your story.

10. typeOnegative13NY

This is the whole point. But some think it should

11. Merkava

Merkava New Member

Why not? It's not like people are asking the Jets to forfeit the games. All they are saying is can it be moved to a time when everyone, all jets fans, can enjoy the game. What's wrong with that? Are you so busy that when the sched came out tuesday you immediately filled your calendar with no way around it??? What if what happened with the giants happened with us: two away games. The point is, no one is asking anyone to sacrifice anything but the Jews. So just relax and hope we can find a solution that works for everyone.

12. firemanedjr

firemanedjr Active Member

Hold on, we're arrogant? Look at the first page of this damn thread. Before one of us could get a word in, it was Christians with no understand of the High Holy Days who were claiming that our holidays were unimportant. We're on the defensive here. It's people like you who are arrogant; we're not trying to claim that our holidays are more important, but that they are more restrictive.

13. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

The NFL would be 10 times more financially damaged if people of Irish descent didn't buy tickets to NFL games.

What's your point?

The Rooneys, The Maras, The Godfathers of the NFL, all Irish. Oh yeah those same Maras that sold a part of their franchise to a Jewish family named Tisch.

The world, especially in the USA, didn't start and end with Jews. I hate to burst some people's bubbles.

14. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

And the beer lines would be shorter

15. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

That must be it. The Jets and NFL are punishing the Jews.

16. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Its not that they are unimportant they are just important to a very small base of people. Why should it make such a big deal when such a small minority is affected.

And both sides are attacking each other this thread I'm surprised isn't locked already.

17. Merkava

Merkava New Member

Come on buddy, you know that's not what I was saying. No one should be fucked over because of their religion. Just relax and hopefully we can find an alternative that works for everyone. No one is saying the jets should forfeit instead of playing. Almost nothing negative can come of moving the game slightly. You're not that busy, get over it.

18. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Maybe I'm missing something (on the first page), but nobody said that the Jewish holidays were unimportant. Everyone is saying that football schedules often conflict with holidays and other events in their lives, but it's a part of life and nobody should expect to have the NFL cater to them.

19. typeOnegative13NY

Well,now i don't want any games played on Christmas anymore,or Christmas eve. As a mtter of fact,Sundays are a religious day. I'm not sure which church service i'm going to go to so were gathering a group to have no more football on Sundays at all. Saturday is religious for non Christinas so the same goes for Sat. I'm waiting for the Muslims and others to chime in and tell us whats inconvenient for them. Maybe no more footyball at all.

That is why it should not be changed. If you can't make it...don't! You are no more special than anyone else.

20. Penning10toColes

Penning10toColes Active Member

This thread is out of control and it pisses me off...a mod should lock it, and we should all just move on. Many posters reek of latent anti-Semitism, and I don't really give a shit if people thing I'm overreacting. These aren't just holidays, these are maybe most sacred days on the Jewish calendar. Watching the game is explicitly disallowed, whereas on Christmas, I don't believe that's the case. It's not a fair comparison, and considering the high number of Jews in the tri-state area, the NFL clearly made a mistake. I don't appreciate the implication that the Jews are somehow at fault for being a little ticked off, and that goes double for all the posts on here that go a little too far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.