D. Keller as a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Apr 5, 2009.

?

What will be Keller role next season?

1. Just TE

11 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Mostly TE and sometimes Slot Reciever

111 vote(s)
    81.0%
  3. Mostly Slot Reciever and sometimes TE

15 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Keller lined up at TE creates a lot of matchup problems for opposing defenses. I like him playing TE while also lining up in the slot.

2. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

He's going to play TE most of the time. /Thread

3. Coach K

Coach K New Member

i voted mostly TE and sometimes slot because hes simply that good.

most people would vote that andf complain about his blocking. WRONG

i think given the right coaching Keller is obviously fast enough off the snap and strong enough to the point where his blocking should never be an issue.

the fact hes large, strong, fast, runs good routes, uses good body position, and has solid hands, and is good after the catch?

that just makes him a complete mismatch for any DC, whether hes lined up next to an OT or in the slot.

we do need a solid blocking TE because I myself, and well obviously Schotty Jr likes double TE formations.

it would be nasty to go defense the first two rounds and hope TE Cornelius Ingram out of Florida is there in the 3rd or a trade in the early 4th. the kid is VERY similar to Keller and if not for his injury hed be a late 1st early 2nd rd projection.

the thought of solidifying our front seven or maybe a DB and another DL in rounds 1 and 2 and adding another target like Ingram would mean alot.

then again Ingram is coming off a severe injury and his game is based on speed, id be giving the kid a private workout and a physical if i was evwen interested in him and i havent read any of the such so all my philosophy on this could be for nil.

either way case in point DB/DL/WR or TE in any mix or order in the first three rounds is what i want based on BPA at the position and value equated in.

ive rambled enough but its just alot of coherent thoughts tallied together anyways anyone who took the time to actually read it kudos.

4. doug4563

doug4563 Active Member

I am with you on this one. Why move a great TE to a be an average WR?? Split him out occasionally to get him on a smaller nickel back but not on a regular basis.

5. doug4563

doug4563 Active Member

I agree with the DL/WR/TE as needs, but i think we are OK with DBs given the addition of Sheppard and strickland this offseason to Revis and Lowery.

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Dustin will play the same role as last year. He is playing the position the same way as Dallas Clark. Just not at Clark's level yet.

Not sure of the need for this thread, but whatever. This offseason is getting a little rough for new thread topics. Seems like we are reaching here.

7. pimentel79

pimentel79 Member

I would definitely love to see Keller try out the position of WR for the Jets, and be ultimately successful at it. I picked the 2nd rather than the 3rd, only because we don't officially know how well he'll perform as an NFL WR, but I would surely love to see how he does at the position. And if he does exceptionally well, I would quickly change my answer to #3.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

This was what I had in my mind last season:

With personnel setup of:

Coles, Cotchery, Keller and Leon + Richardson backfield.

This is a perfectly legitimate I-formation personnel setup - and the offense does run a few I formation plays here and there, with runs and passes sprinkled somewhat.

Now, at a critical moment:

WR1: Keller, WR2: Cotchery
    Slot 1: Coles

Now, the option A:

Slot B: Leon
    RB: Richardson

Or Option B:

Richardson: TE
    RB: Leon

Yes. This is a shotgun setup - when the opponents are least expecting it. Both options are very viable, and since the defense would be expecting I formation plays (less threat on pass, more threat on running) they would be deploying at least 3 LBs - where Coles or Leon can dominate in the middle. Keller on the outside is also a nice mismatch as well; any DB trying to cover Keller would be hard pressed, as 1. he will be physically dominated and 2. he will have height disadvantage that he cannot account for. Also, Option B means Jets intend to play draw with Leon if chance is there - a nice running threat that shouldn't be overlooked.

Of course, I didn't see this; there may be a very good reason Jets didn't pull this last year - some reason that outsiders like me has no access to.

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

nevermind... i don't read anything

10. vilmatic

vilmatic Active Member

Other than an unfortunate thread titel, I don't think the OP has any reason to be blasted. I mean, Zach's (poster a few posts up, not my friend Zach, who knows nothing abotu Jets football) play alone shows why he's more than just a TE. You know who Keller reminds me of is Vincent Jackson. TE or WR - I think Keller could be just as difficult for a DB as a LB to cover. Two cents.

Also of interrest in original post, the possibility of Keller and Pettigrew on the same team. If you really want to be an allweather offense, a running team, a violent physical team, you dont need prima donna WRs, you need guys that can block as well as they can catch. Cotch is the exception of course. I'm not sure I buy it from the standpoint of investing that much money in the TE position, but maybe if you believe you don't need a true #1 WR (and his attendant big money contract) then its ok. In fact, then maybe its GENIUS (WR production, TE money - me likee). I remember when they let Chris baker go I thought, jesus, that was stupid. Good, solid player, starter, at a position of need. True, a bit disgruntled, but it reminded me of when they let Mawae go. Good solid player at an important position when it seemed like they had no backup plan. When I first heard the noise about pettigrew I was like, no fucking way, but the more I think about a physical team, run blocking nasty jet lag type of team, the more I like it.

Also of note. Keller blew the combine up, but mentioned that he had been doing much better on the 40 - as low as 4.4. at 6'2" 240 - you tell me what DB can cover that. And, once failing to cover that, then how to tackle that.

11. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Thank you for understanding why I made this thread.... :)

12. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he ran a 4.55

13. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

Thats real mature.

If you act like a child you will be treated like one.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think we should use Keller exactly like Denver and Baltimore used Shannon Sharpe, because he has a very similar skillset.

15. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I'm guessing they will line him up different places and move him around, depending on the defense and situation.

16. rmagedon

rmagedon Active Member

I highly doubt we're going to be taking a TE with our first pick. Knowing that, I think Keller will line as a TE and then be split out on the slot given what the Defense is showing. What I'd LIKE to see out of Keller is lining up in the backfield with Washington. Then like Cooley and Clark motion out to the slot on given plays. This will throw some defenses off.

I honestly don't think we're going to draft a TE in the first. If we need a run/pass blocking TE so badly we can just re-sign Bubba Franks if we can't pick up a serviceable TE late in the draft.

17. Royce Parker

Royce Parker Well-Known Member

Our very own Shannon Sharpe - Damn, I like the thought of that. Personally, I think Keller has the potential to be that good if he is utilized effectively by the CS.

18. Docny1975

Docny1975 New Member

Shannon Sharpe without the lisp. I gotta agree though they do seem to be similar styled TE's

19. That Guy

That Guy New Member

He could play both effectively.* He's as fast, jumps higher, and is much stronger, than most wide receivers.* Granted, he is faster, jumps higher, and is stronger than most tight ends as well.* He is a slightly better matchup at tight end because of his rediculous speed advantage.* I think the Shannon Sharpe comparison is very accurate.* DK has better speed, but Sharpe was a very similar player.