D. Keller as a WR

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mambo9, Apr 5, 2009.

?

What will be Keller role next season?

1. Just TE

11 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. Mostly TE and sometimes Slot Reciever

111 vote(s)
    81.0%
  3. Mostly Slot Reciever and sometimes TE

15 vote(s)
    10.9%
  1. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

"the question in the poll is what would YOU WANT Keller role to be next season"

Given that we might take Pettigrew at #17

Given that the guy played WR in High School

Given that he ran a 4.53 40yd dash with a 41 inch vertical at the combine

Given that if we rely more on the run our TE has to learn how to block.

Would you like to see Keller trying out the WR position?

Personally I don't think it will happen since in an interview, while talking about various things, Ryan said we are going to see an improvement in Keller blocking skills... but you never know how the draft will go. If no WR we like falls to us this is a possibilty.

#1 Mambo9, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  2. RevisCB

RevisCB New Member

Not really, he creates so many mis-matches over the middle with his combination of speed and size. His blocking will get better, and we will need more than one TE to block in a lot of Ryan's schemes so i think we just leave him at TE and bring in a WR.

3. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

To answer your question ... Absolutely not

4. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

Its definitely an option to say the least. He was used as a slot WR last year in numerous formations. A TE in the draft here we go again..................

5. 4jetfans

4jetfans Well-Known Member

I just dont see us as taking a TE with this pick. I believe by the time the JETS pick most of the WR's will still be on the board or just starting to go at say 14,15 and we are 16 so we should still be in good shape. But that can all change as we know the draft is always changing.

6. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Given this is the worst thread in a long time....

Given I regret opening it...

Given we won't draft a tight end at 17.

Given you should never, ever create a thread again.

7. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Oh come on... just say no i don't think he'd be a good WR. It's not like i've been asking if you what you thought about moving Kerry Rhodes to Fullback sinche Richardson is 37!
    Plus like someone else has said Keller has been used sometimes as a slot reciever last season...
    Let me rephrase my question... do you think Keller is versatile enough to play in both positions sucessfully?
    God I hate it when someone becomes a whiny b***h and doesn't answer the main question of a thread.. if you are not interested why bother posting?

8. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Did you watch any fucking games last season? Keller lined up in the slot a lot...and had success.

You don't have to ask questions that you should already know the answer to -- DK was used at receiver to create mismatch problems. We also have a bunch of mediocre-at-best wideouts, so it never hurts to split your best offensive weapon out wide.

9. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Sooo.... you are kind of answering "yes he can play at wideout to" right:p?
    Come on.. as you can see from the previous answers there are mixed opinions about this.. so why not make a thread :)

10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i really think the jets interest in pettigrew is a smoke screen

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

He's an athletic, receiving tight end that is versatile. Yes, he can play in the slot. The coaching staff did that last season.

The people that are saying no, think you want to strictly convert him to wideout...which would be stupid. His size/speed ratio creates mismatches all over the field - especially when linebackers are matched up on him.

There doesn't need to be a thread on this, just like the last thread you started about 2010 QBs. If you look around on this board, you'll find your answer.

12. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Me too but you must admit that having:

#1: Cotchery
    Slot: Keller
    TE: Pettigrew

With Stuckey coming in as a slot when Keller plays TE (passing downs), Clowney coming on as a deep threat moving Cotchery back to #2 wideout and B. Smith coming in on reverse/weird plays doesn't sound all that bad for a run first team... oh and also a 2TE set with those 2.

I'm not saying I want this... just that it's intriguing... plus you never know what you are getting when you draft a WR, while Pettigrew would be a "safe" pick...

#12 Mambo9, Apr 5, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

he's got 90 speed in Madden

14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

He's got a 4.51 in real life :p

15. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

why move keller from being a great receiving TE to a mediocre WR.. if you have a guy that can be as productive for the TE position as he is.. you keep him there.. now i wouldnt be surprised if he lines up as a WR a few times this year... i think he definitely has the versatility to be used in the same ways Witten is used.. but to go as far as changing his position... yeah im not too sure about that..

16. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

this thread sux!..

17. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

It's the off-season!!! What are we supposed to talk about :p? Anyways ok, I get your point and I respect it... I don't agree with but who cares.. if you don't like my threads avoid them... it's not like I'm making 10 a day :)
    Ola

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't... but I would understand if they did because if we want to have a great (not good, great) running game we'd need a TE that can block a little better than him. If we had a great passing QB I would never ever dream of that.. but since we still don't know what we have in KC and BR I could see the CS thinking about it.

19. JETSFAN1290

JETSFAN1290 Banned

It really all depends on the emergence of our WR corps and if we sign or draft a WR.

20. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I say mostly as a TE but occasional split end